UM CT and Primaris

GreyCrow

Hey guys! Haven't played with the Primaris much but not opposed to start an army!

What's your mileage with the UM CT and the Primaris so far ? Curious to see if the extra Ld is worth it

Fall back and shoot is good for sure

The extra Ld is absolutely unnecessary, given the already superior Leadership of Astartes and ATSKNF.

But falling back and shooting is amazing and not to be underestimated.

I have a primaris-only UM army (almost entirely armed with Assault weapons) and the mobility wins me games.

It's never come up for me.  The new morale system certainly encourages MSUs rather than big squads.

But I do agree that a Ld10 does make a Morale test impossible to fail for the last surviving member of a 5-man unit. :D

The ability to fallback and still shoot is handy regarding boosting your intercessors and other primaris marines damage output.

11 more attacks after double tapping with the bolt rifles is nice. Especially when you can be certain that they will be able to shoot on your next turn even if the target survives and stays in the choppy.

I like to use assault weapons with this tactic - shoot while advancing, get close enough for normal movement, charge and fight, fall back and shoot, then overwatch the counter-charge.  It's a meat-grinder.

True - but it's not really a 1-in-6.  It's a 1-in-36 due to ATSKNF.  Still hurts to lose one, but it's far more rare.

You wouldn't believe how often it happens. The way my rolls work, ATSKNF and the Guilliman re-rolls bring my dice back in line with regular statistics. Otherwise I would be rolling myself into the abyss :D

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, they're more than shenanigans.  It's mobile warfare.  It's also quite surprising to someone who hasn't faced it before and probably given it no thought.  Rush them, slam into them like a wave, draw back and do it again.  It can be pretty effective.

I know you were a raven guard player before taking a break and it’s kind of funny to me because if we are talking purely Primaris and CTs then I personally believe the Raven Guard work better.

Since seeing it in action I’ve noted RG do not need transports which for me are a bit of a deal killer. RG get to mitigate transport issues. UM have great traits but not as advantageous to Primaris as RG.

Agreed with the analysis Prot ;) RG benefits a full infantry force for sure.

My 2 cents current analysis on the UM CT right now is that it favours the bigger squads.

+1 to morale gets more mileage on a bad roll for bigger squads. Fall back and shoot gets more mileage if you withdraw more models from combat. Stratagem gets more mileage from more models in the target squad.

Bigger squads are only good for one thing : reducing drops, getting first turn. Morale buffs are good for enduring casualties.

The change to +1 to get first turn made them a little less good sadly.

It's not bad per se, just less evident than the other CT s'all :P

With UM, it's almost impossible to fail a morale check on a 5-man squad.  Basically if you took 4 casualties, the 5th guy would flee on what, a 6?  Which you can reroll?  So a 97% chance to pass a morale check is a near-certainty.

Fall back and shoot is no different with two 5-man squads than one ten-man unit.  The only difference is that you have two random distances, so more likely to be an average than an extreme.

I do, however, agree that some Stratagems become more economical with larger squads.