Slaaneshi Colors

Mileposter

So, having settled on building Slaanesh Daemons as my second army, I'm waiting to see what holiday bundles are available before making my actual purchases. In the meantime, I've been considering the other aspects of the army: appearance, conversion opportunities, and basing. Which led me to question - What if not purple?

So I'm brainstorming color scheme ideas. What would you think could look good (and acceptable!) on Slaaneshi Daemons without breaking too far from the God of Excess?

Absolutly every color. Just make it vibrant. 

In the lore Slaanesh is excess, his/her most fervent servant as Emperor's Children who are attract by vibrant color. In the first version of the lore Noise marine were dress with lots of different color. Even if Purple/pink were already the dominance du to the past of Emperor's Children as ambassador and emissary of the Emperor as well as a rememberance of their origins (purple was the color of noble back here, in France/England were E.C. are born)

I don't know, i don't explain how Tzeencht got the stranglehold on bright colors.. 

I don't expain either how E.C., who like bright color, went for black and pallid pink in post-heresy (wich is a thing even is the early version of the lore). 

You want Slaanesh ? Think about the bright colors fish or bird use to attract mate, think about peacock, think about all the colors flowers use to attract bee : Now you are thinking Slaanesh. 

Here is a great example of what i mean : http://lemandarinworkshop.be/IMG/jpg/slaanesh02.jpg

By the way if someone know how to make those colors, you got my full attention. 

Of course you could also go with the desaturated official color, but for me that's not logical with the fluff (personnal opinion). After all, there is no rules, coz this. is. :censored:. chaos. 

Edited by WarriorFish
Do not dodge the swear filter

The problem with actual 'Slaaneshi' schemes is, at least IMO, that they don't actually look all that good to those of us who aren't speed-freak GMO supermen. They just look garish.

I would stick close to purple, because that's exactly what I did.

22449623_10208105581952384_1411262870892

Perhaps I’m somewhat in both camps, as my daemonettes are purple skinned and generally rather dark (with spot colours to offset this) and other daemons more colourful...

Steeds

WIP, but I chose a relatively normal skin tone to suggest they may have been crafted from or born of something mortal, with light turquoise (teal?) scales for their serpentine side...and manes of bright pink hair tongues.

med_gallery_63428_9407_819242.jpeg

Daemonettes

I have two sects of Daemonettes in my army and it is said that those hairless ones, masked in shame, were shaven by the other sect, who flaunt their own vibrant locks while having woven the hair of their rivals into the whips they wield. If the words of daemons are to be believed...

med_gallery_63428_9407_134754.jpg

med_gallery_63428_9407_1621989.png

Fiends

I went with a bruised or raw flesh for these as I wanted more contrast with the dark carapace of the spider-elements (more than the purple of the daemonettes would have given me). Again, more colour added via hair.

med_gallery_63428_9407_269838.jpg

I don’t mind the greyish purple of the GW sample models, but wanted my army to be brighter, and if possible harken back to the Realm of Chaos days with pastels (more visible with the marines in the army).

Slaanesh is bright colours too as mentioned, they don't necessarily have to be garish if that's not your thing. As long as they stand out somewhat on the table top I think Slaanesh would be pleased ;) I went for an orange, I plan on supplementing that with classic purple on the armoured bits with various other colours on the cloth :)

gallery_30308_10249_57343.jpg

Yeah the problem with how Noise Marines and Slaanesh Daemons as described in fluff is that we aren't Slaanesh whorshippers who'd actually like those kind of color schemes. We are more or less normal humans and want our models to look pretty. GW realised that as well so they kept painting their Noise Marines and Slaanesh Daemons in a for our eyes pleasing color scheme.

My Daemons will look kinda the opposite of what's described tho. Their skin will be a black-ish purple with the scales/armored areas being a brighter purple/pink....I'm also going to add things one wouldn't expect to see on a daemon model .... https://www.zinge.co.uk/collections/vehicle-accessories/products/v8-engine-parts-exhaust-air-vent-drive-belt-transmission-sprue (that's for my planned fiends conversion :sweat:).

Anyway, I'd advise against changing the color scheme between different units too much. Your color scheme can look confusing and busy and that's fine for the most part, however your whole army should look uniform on the table or it'll look like you had bought a random collection of models from ebay and didn't bother re-painting them.

Edited by sfPanzer

for slaaneshy dudes my colour choices go like this

main (bright) colour (for me it was pink)  - this is the main thing that will grab the eye - like the pink on EmpChildren
accent colour (i went turquoise) - this is for smaller areas and things like power swords on marine models
neutrals - everything else is painted either in a muted version of the main colour, or in white/black/grey/metalics

- wip example - https://www.instagram.com/p/BapFlP1FfJc/

Yeah the problem with how Noise Marines and Slaanesh Daemons as described in fluff is that we aren't Slaanesh whorshippers who'd actually like those kind of color schemes. We are more or less normal humans and want our models to look pretty. GW realised that as well so they kept painting their Noise Marines and Slaanesh Daemons in a for our eyes pleasing color scheme.

That's totally true. The best example i found so far is this one : 

Pink_horrors.jpg

This dude (actually it's a girl) totally nailed what's "Daemoniac colors" mean. I feel almost nauseus just by looking at those models, exactly as a Tzeencht daemon should be, a pur insult to your sanity just by looking at it. 

Anyway, I'd advise against changing the color scheme between different units too much.

I agree. It's one thing to paint a beautiful models, but when building an army you have to think of the bigger picture. You need a coherence, even if it's unfluff with a chaos army. That doesnt mean you can't play with colors. If you paint your base and the body of your daemonette with the same colors you can afford to be a little more funky for the hair for exemple. 

I got the same idea, the Emperor's champ is so much Emperor's children it will be my Sorcerer too. 

Edited by DreamIsCollapsing

On top of what's been said, I think Slaanesh is also about contrast. A mind blowing color is a sensation but contrast between it and another color is even more of a sensation. I figure that's how they settled on pink and black ECs. Tzeentch is all about the crazy colors everywhere like the beautiful picture posted above, I think Slaanesh needs a mix of bright and garish with dull for contrast.

As for actual recommendations, pink/Purple are always classic. Vibrant, almost neon green or orange, or electric blue could look really good. Maybe electric blue or neon green with muted brown-reds/leathers, or orange with navy or black. Alternately, maybe try out liquid chrome for some really shiny Daemons.

Instead of going full on colour overload with bright colours everywhere go oldschool Slaanesh and go for pastel shades. Have a look at the old Realms of Chaos books for ideas (Slaanesh was in the first book 'Slaves to Darkness' if you are not familiar with them). 

Also take a look at the Hellraiser films, particularly the 'Wire Twins' from Inferno, the black leather and pale skin with bloody symbols cut into the flesh made me start Slaaneshi Daemons. 

I've largely settled on a blue-dominant color scheme for my Daemons now, with a brighter pastel purple for trim and contrast. Blue skin fading into purple horns and claws. Dunno about hair yet, but I'm not fussed about figuring that out until I get one of them in front of me - come on holiday bundles!

To compare with GW's range, it's Alaitoc Blue edged with Lothern Blue. The purple is Genestealer Purple edged with Warpfiend Grey.

I was largely hesitant about this color scheme, but I saw an Armies On Parade entry Slaanesh army (Age of Sigmar, but still) that utilized a lot of blue and purple that looked good (though their Daemonettes were skin-colored with the blue/purples used as highlights). So I'm fairly settled on this one.

Sounds like a good scheme to me, especially the fading, looking forward to seeing your progress on it so don't forget to keep us updated once you start :thumbsup:

I'm only waiting on the holiday bundles to get going, since they're pretty close. Spending less money but still supporting GW? Yes, please.

Speaking of inspiration, here's a few images that (hopefully) will be of use for inspiring colour schemes.

First up, how about using similar colours to Scanty and Kneesocks (themselves loosely based on Japanese Oni)? Bright red skin with bright pastel spot colours (electric blue and seafoam green in this case) seems quite Slaaneshi. They do appear in less stylized forms in the anime, but I'll refrain from posting those as they're a little...risque, and not being directly linked to 40K I'm not sure I could get away with it.

http://i.cubeupload.com/j0CPXH.png

Sea life can also be a good source of colours for daemons, such as these...

http://i.cubeupload.com/qWOGPK.jpg

http://i.cubeupload.com/n0QVBM.jpg

http://i.cubeupload.com/EiMNGn.jpg

And finally, if you wanted to go for a more unusual colour palette and perhaps emphasize their nature through markings rather than simple colours, there's always the Death's Head Hawk Moth...

http://i.cubeupload.com/007IN3.jpg

Speaking of inspiration, here's a few images that (hopefully) will be of use for inspiring colour schemes.

First up, how about using similar colours to Scanty and Kneesocks (themselves loosely based on Japanese Oni)? Bright red skin with bright pastel spot colours (electric blue and seafoam green in this case) seems quite Slaaneshi. They do appear in less stylized forms in the anime, but I'll refrain from posting those as they're a little...risque, and not being directly linked to 40K I'm not sure I could get away with it.

Just googled them and found some cosplay stuff, I think I need to have a lay down now. 

++EDIT++ 

Omg theres a Panty and Stocking as well. :lol

Edited by Slave to Darkness

Just googled them and found some cosplay stuff, I think I need to have a lay down now. 

++EDIT++ 

Omg theres a Panty and Stocking as well. :laugh.:

Yep. It's a pretty funny show actually, and one of the only anime where I'd heartily recommend the dub over the original Japanese (even the Japanese voice cast and creative team agree the dub is superior). It's basically Powerpuff Girls except for adults.

++EDIT++

Omg theres a Panty and Stocking as well. :laugh.:

Yep. It's a pretty funny show actually, and one of the only anime where I'd heartily recommend the dub over the original Japanese (even the Japanese voice cast and creative team agree the dub is superior). It's basically Powerpuff Girls except for adults.

I shall have to download it when I fix my laptop.