Who would be the first Primaris Upgrade?

Prot

I'm in the "It won't happen" camp, since there was nothing in the new BRB or CSM. Nor in the several BL novels set post fall of Cadia.

If they did though, I'd expect them to stick with the trio box format. Possibly Calgar accompanied by two other character models. Who would get that privilege alongside Calgar would be a lottery.

I suspect Calgar will be killed off before that happens. It's kinda unthinkable at first consideration but GW commits to a strategy and Primaris are the future.

It'll be Sicarius with probably a brand new Primaris character as Calgar's replacement.

On the subject of upgraded characters... Dark Imperium (novel) never once mentioned the upgrading to Primaris. So we know whether that was a theory tested by the Warhammer Community team to see how people would react or an actual thing?

Because I doubt it is. I reckon 40K won't go that route because of all the variables - there are no Terminator Primaris (Gravis armour looks poor really) and once GW remakes a single special character as Primaris then it's confirmed the whole line is in for replacement. GW wants Primaris to replace gradually.

The issue is that it is likely noone makes it this far. Spoilers for Devastation of Baal ahead.

BA Primaris seem to be completely clear of the Red Thirst issue. This may be doom and gloom, but chances are that GW wants to homonogize the Primaris line and make them all vanilla, much like SCE. This may mean that characters will remain classic Marines and slowly move towards being a legacy army. I hope not and I know that I just presented the worst case scenario. Still, as long as GW is not transparent with their plans we will never know what to expect. I don't trust GW to handle the IP well though.

The issue is that it is likely noone makes it this far. Spoilers for Devastation of Baal ahead.

BA Primaris seem to be completely clear of the Red Thirst issue. This may be doom and gloom, but chances are that GW wants to homonogize the Primaris line and make them all vanilla, much like SCE. This may mean that characters will remain classic Marines and slowly move towards being a legacy army. I hope not and I know that I just presented the worst case scenario. Still, as long as GW is not transparent with their plans we will never know what to expect. I don't trust GW to handle the IP well though.

But Stormcast Eternals are not all vanilla or alike in the lore. So the comparison does hold, if you want to point to them as a precedence.

Edited by Spiky Norman

Not in lore, but they are in rules outside of one decurion-style battalion per Stormhost/Chamber, which still make use of generic battalions, but those have become unusable since GH2. We may as well keep our lore, but chances are that Primaris will be homogenized across all the Chapter. I do not necessarily mind, because I really like vanilla Marines. Hm, it would also reduce the amount of clutter Marines have and maybe it normalize the amount of Marine players. It may also be easier to balance Marines, because it will be like HH. Actually, nevermind. Carry on, GW :D

Not in lore, but they are in rules outside of one decurion-style battalion per Stormhost/Chamber, which still make use of generic battalions, but those have become unusable since GH2. We may as well keep our lore, but chances are that Primaris will be homogenized across all the Chapter. I do not necessarily mind, because I really like vanilla Marines. Hm, it would also reduce the amount of clutter Marines have and maybe it normalize the amount of Marine players. It may also be easier to balance Marines, because it will be like HH. Actually, nevermind. Carry on, GW :biggrin.:

It's kind of funny how Stormcast Eternals started out being totally the same, and are now becoming more and more characterful and fragmented, where as the Adeptus Astardes may or may not move slightly in the opposite directions. :-)

Personally I think 40k could do without SO many marine codexes, but I do like the flavor of various chapters. For it would be okay if it was more lore and less rules, that made up the distinction

Not in lore, but they are in rules outside of one decurion-style battalion per Stormhost/Chamber, which still make use of generic battalions, but those have become unusable since GH2. We may as well keep our lore, but chances are that Primaris will be homogenized across all the Chapter. I do not necessarily mind, because I really like vanilla Marines. Hm, it would also reduce the amount of clutter Marines have and maybe it normalize the amount of Marine players. It may also be easier to balance Marines, because it will be like HH. Actually, nevermind. Carry on, GW :biggrin.:

It's kind of funny how Stormcast Eternals started out being totally the same, and are now becoming more and more characterful and fragmented, where as the Adeptus Astardes may or may not move slightly in the opposite directions. :-)

Personally I think 40k could do without SO many marine codexes, but I do like the flavor of various chapters. For it would be okay if it was more lore and less rules, that made up the distinction

To be fair, they may not be moving in opposing directions. SCE started off very bland, to a point where I disliked their first Battletome, much how I now dislike the C:SM book. But they got better as they progressed. This may very well happen with Primaris. The loss of identity is perception we have from the introduction of the same models to different armies. Time will show if there will be a distinction further down the line ;)

• 2 weeks later...

In the Dark Imperium novel, it explains the background of one of the primaris marines.

It states he was already a space marine at the time of the emperors great crusade prior to being put into a tank by Cawl and undergoing the change to primaris.  So it is official in black and white.

In the Dark Imperium novel, it explains the background of one of the primaris marines.

It states he was already a space marine at the time of the emperors great crusade prior to being put into a tank by Cawl and undergoing the change to primaris.  So it is official in black and white.

Pics or didn't happen :P

Yeah, and Gav Thorpe said Sammael was in the Deathwing too... so you'll forgive me if I wait to see it in a game supplement. :biggrin.:

I thought all company captains are members? Or am I mis-remembering 2nd ed lore?

Yeah, and Gav Thorpe said Sammael was in the Deathwing too... so you'll forgive me if I wait to see it in a game supplement. :biggrin.:

I thought all company captains are members? Or am I mis-remembering 2nd ed lore?

All Inner Circle are Deathwing, but not all Deathwing are Inner Circle. So yes, Sammael is part of the Deathwing, seeing as the Master of the Ravenwing is always Deathwing. Nothing wrong here.

Deathwing = 1st Company Veterans

Inner circle = (part of) 1st Company + Chaplains + Librarians + Chapter Master + Master of the Ravenwing + some Captains (not sure if all are, but all Captains need to have gone through the Deathwing I believe, so I guess all Captain;, 1st and 2nd Company Captains definitely are)

Note: techmarines are not part of the Inner Circle.

Also, your heretical Slaaneshy banners defile our nice and clean floors here :tongue.:

Edited by Frater Cornelius

I think you've got that backwards, but I don't want to stray too far off the topic.,  My point is, the books are full of all sorts of inconsistencies with the established canon - often even inconsistent within themselves (q.v. Gav's own books).

When a novel contradicts something within a game supplement (or alleges something that's never mentioned in a game supplement) I err on the side of the game.  If they're making a miniature, there'd have to be rules, and at that point (if and when) then it's a fact instead of creative license.

I should point out that there are some characters who I'd love to see get the Primaris treatment, if it ever happens... but I also think it won't and probably shouldn't.

Pics or didn't happen :tongue.:

I'm off work on sick leave at the moment so I will try to have a look through my copy to get the page number, its kindle edition so may take me some time, lol.

I imagine if any characters get upgraded it will be the "young upstarts" such as Sicarius and Ragnar. I feel they would be the first ones to step forward to do any treatments.

Edit: I can see Grimnar saying he's too old for such things, Dante saying he must remain true to being as close as possible to Dante, and Cawl telling Calgar "I am not sure where to put organs, not enough flesh to work with".

Edited by Caldersson