New FAQ

Trystram

Haha the commissars are now super mediocre yet R&H get to keep the abilities of enforcers. 

Unfortunately though I don't see anything that says we should use the new updated stats for Leman Russes. 

Oh good point about the Commissars vs. Enforcers.  This is one of the rare cases where the older unit entries are better than the new ones.

I thought we'd get the updated Grinding Advance rules for Leman Russes, but we don't Rules-As-Written.  I also noted that even the Death Korps of Krieg, which had an expanded list of Vehicles they can include, STILL are told to take them from the old Imperium Index 2.  It's like FW wanted it this way by design.

Thankfully, Malefic Lords not nerfed.  I thought their Smite might be reduced to how it was for Eldar Warlocks (which cost the same points), where their Smite has this Destructor rule which effectively weakens the power precisely so you can't spam cheap Smite squads.  This is great for us.

Also, Malefic Lords can get Covenant of Chaos, thus we don't need to take a Renegade Commander just to access it for them...and nowhere in the Errata/FAQ does it say they can't take the Covenant of Khorne, even though their Psykers.  Even the CSM Codex it mentions Psykers can't take Mark of Khorne.  This is funny.

R&H being able to still do the large unmovable blocks of troops is a bit of a boon but the AM dex is still so much stronger than index.

I have a feeling that it will be a long time if we ever get a proper army list for 8th from FW. Sad, its such a cool faction.

I am so happy that the thrice-damned Commissars got brutalized with the nerf bat.
Praise the Dark Gods!

...Malefic Lords can get Covenant of Chaos, thus we don't need to take a Renegade Commander just to access it for them...and nowhere in the Errata/FAQ does it say they can't take the Covenant of Khorne, even though their Psykers.  Even the CSM Codex it mentions Psykers can't take Mark of Khorne.  This is funny.

Unfortunately, no, the Malefic Lords don't get the 'Covenant of Chaos' rule that Commanders do. The errata gives the psykers the <Chaos Covenant> keyword, but that merely allows them to benefit if you have a Renegade Commanders as you warlord. You still need a commander to bestow the covenant in the first place. If this seems clear as mud, I'd agree; discrepancies between rules, unit names and keywords can be really confusing.

GW just goes ahead and spells it out in the final question of the FAQ on page 4:

Q: If my Warlord is not a Renegade Commander, does that
mean I cannot choose a Chaos Covenant for my Renegades and
Heretics units?
A: That is correct – in order to choose a Chaos Covenant
your Warlord must be a Renegade Commander.
Edited by Azekai