Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

500pt <VOSTROYA> Army List. Feedback Appreciated.

Astra Militarum Vostroya Army List Battalion Imperial Guard Regiment 500 Beginner

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

maham

maham

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3 posts

Hello everyone. After fruitlessly collecting for many years, I've decided to finally bite the bolt shell and play some 40K! I've loved the Vostroyan  miniatures for a long time, so have enlisted in the Guard and would love some feedback on my first list. I'm a complete beginner, so any comments, criticisms or suggestions would be great.

Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum <VOSTROYA>) [32PL, 500pts]

HQ
Company Commander [3 PL, 40pts]: Shotgun, Power Fist

• Honoured Duelist
  • Armour of Graf Toschenko

Lord Commissar [4 PL, 55pts]: Power Sword, Boltgun

Primaris Psyker [2 PL, 40pts]: Force Stave, Laspistol

Troops
Infantry Squad [3 PL, 55pts]: Plasma Gun, Heavy Bolter

Elites
Command Squad [3 PL, 32pts]: 4x Sniper Rifle

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Battle Tank [11 PL, 168pts]: Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Halfpint100

Halfpint100

++ EXEMPLUM CONVECTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,224 posts
Lord commissars are not great anymore with the new faq. Better to take another infantry squad of HB/ plasma gun

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,372 posts
Id keep the LC because they're awesome models and Ld9 aura is still useful vs just regular Commissars

Id give him a powerfist and maybe plasma pistol too though
Good start for 500pts though

4ndroid

4ndroid

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 76 posts

this list looks decent, let us know how it turns out 

use the extra range from the vostroyan doctrine to chip away at your enemy

try to stay out of close combat, watch your flanks for deep strike

maham

maham

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3 posts

Thank you for the feedback, everyone. I still have to get the miniatures ready for the tabletop, but can't wait to try out the list.

Id keep the LC because they're awesome models and Ld9 aura is still useful vs just regular Commissars

Id give him a powerfist and maybe plasma pistol too though

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the advantage of the Power Fist over the Power Sword in this context? Simply because the Lord Commissar can somewhat mitigate the penalty to hit, and the benefit is the higher strength? Would a non-upgraded elite Commissar be worth considering instead?

I see that the FAQ has really changed peoples' minds on Commissars, so if I was to drop the LC from this list, what would a good substitute be (aside from the aforementioned extra Infantry Squad)? Is there a particular unit that I could add to fill any gaps in the current list?

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,372 posts
The numbers work out better for the LC with the pfist vs sword even with modifiers
T3 3+/2+ vs 2+/4+
T4-5 3+/3+ vs 2+/5+
T6 3+/4+ vs 2+/6+
T7+ 3+/5+ vs 2+/6+
Amusingly at targets above T11 the sword edges ahead, but the pfist does more damage. Im not aware of anything beyond T8 anyway.
He's also a beat stick and gives a Ld9 bonus vs 8. Which means hes less likely to kill a guy and force a re-roll. Plus their models look awesome. :D

librisrouge

librisrouge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,924 posts

Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum <VOSTROYA>) [32PL, 500pts]

HQ

Company Commander [3 PL, 40pts]: Shotgun, Power Fist

• Honoured Duelist
  • Armour of Graf Toschenko

I'm in love with this build. Post a battle report and let us know how the punching goes.

Lord Commissar [4 PL, 55pts]: Power Sword, Boltgun

I'm going to agree with the powerfist. Hitting on +3 is still good and the d3 damage is useful against a surprising host of things now that more models have more wounds.

Almost mandatory this edition but, if you find yourself in a points crunch, consider an astropath.

Troops

I like this setup for Vostroyan. All of the weapons like the +6" a lot.

Elites

I'm very hesitant about snipers this edition but that might be just me. I'd love to hear how it goes.

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Battle Tank [11 PL, 168pts]: Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter Sponsons.

A classic for a reason and almost a little mean to take at 500 pts (be mean.)

A few comments, not much advice really. Post a battle report.

"Frak this, for my faith is a shield proof against your blandishments."
-Book of Cain - Chapter IV, Verse XXI

"I think you really need to be a guard player in order to have that kind of attitude about casualties. My forces were killed to a man for slight strategic gain? All I heard was a buzzing noise until that part about strategic gain."
-Ailarian, Hand of the Kind XXXI

gallery_48988_15465_5689.pnggallery_48988_15465_9618.pnggallery_48988_15465_8459.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_7586.pnggallery_48988_10980_7442.pngVbg8STF.png

maham

maham

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3 posts

Almost mandatory this edition but, if you find yourself in a points crunch, consider an astropath.

Elites

I'm very hesitant about snipers this edition but that might be just me. I'd love to hear how it goes.

Thanks librisrouge, your comments still give me some things to think about.

Do you think I would be better off going with an Astropath, as I don't need the three HQs? As it is quite cheaper, this would allow me to include a Platoon Commander, which I had been considering, to give me another Order-giver per turn.

I had been considering a unit of Ratlings over the sniper Command Squad, for their move-shoot-move ability and bonus to cover, but figured the ability to order the squad and use Firstborn Pride on them outweighed the Ratlings benefits. Can I ask what makes you unsure about snipers, and if you think the Ratlings would be an improvement?