Disciples of the Flame

Kelborn

Hey there,

I'm not quite sure if this is the right subforum but I'll ask either way.

FWs Retribution introduced the Disciples of the Flame, a Shattered Legion force, which rediscovers and rescues the former Salamanders Legion Master Cassian Vaughn, does a road trip on a prototype ship called the Ebon Drake, supports a Forgeworld against Alpha Legion and Iron Warrior forces, defeats said forces and integrates the remaining IW detachment.

While doing so, they start to venerate Vaughn and they even found a cult, which has a lot commonalities with another cult on the mentioned Forgeworlf od Mezoa.

But that's it, or not?

Everything I found belonged to Retribution and it is stated that the Salamanders themselves purged all of their records which included the Ebon Drake and her crew. Further, all evidences are hidden deep within the chambers of Terra's archives.

IMHO, I really enjoyed this part of Retribution. It shows that the Salamnders can be more religious than one might assume. Further, it got a lot of potential in terms of internal struggles within the Legion itself. How would Vulkan react to them? Would the cult further spread its influence? Members of other Legion got attracted as well, even the IW leader became the right hand of Vaughn.

Could this cult became a major threat to the AdMech with Vaughn being something like a prophet / entity of the Omnissiah?

What might have happened to them? Purged? Becoming blackshields? Even renegades or traitors? Did they evolve into a informal Salamanders successor?

Could this cult survive 10K years, only to be brought back by a Primaris force via recruited witnesses / followers?

I assume that this is "just" another strand which will never be see its conclusion and which is left open for the fanbase to play with.

But I wanted to be sure if there is a short story, an audio, whatever in which they might reappear?

Further, if I'd be interested in Shattered Legion stories during the HH, which ones are recommandable? I've read something of an omnibus, is that correct?

So overall, what do you guys think of the Disciples? Missed opportunity? Nonsense? Or what? :)

Best regards,

Kelborn

My gut feeling, especially with the Salamanders, is that their lack of official successors is due to their self reliance. Once a force is sufficiently "diverged" from the Promethean Creed they go off out into the galaxy and, eventually, decide that they never need to return home.

Being Salamanders, they may have sufficient skill to set up shop alongside Hive Worlds or Forgeworlds to secure their supplementary resources (ships, crews, munitions). The Adeptus Terra may one day *find* this force and decree it a Chapter, add it to the lists and assume it was an oversight, list it's parentage as unknown or Ultramarines or Dark Founding or whatever.

In that manner, the main question is whether the Disciples of the Flame ever hooked up with Vulkan and Nocturne again.

If yes, they may have come to an accord, or been re-absorbed, or been viewed as unreliable mavericks who should be purged.

If no, then the above applies: they may have simply settled down somewhere and never have returned home until they were already a distinct force.

Personally, knowing nothing about them until reading this post, if totally favour the latter, but leaving it open ended let's them be a renegade force too. Or one of the early forces that was absorbed wholesale into the Deathwatch? Or something else still!

Really exciting though. I like it.

That does sound reasonable to me. So it's another "go and have some fun with them" force. Good to know.

You should really check out what FW did with the Salamanders. They did well.

Warhammerwiki nearly copy + pasted it from Retribution. Just ask, if you need something. :)

I've heard nothing about such a story. But I am intrigued now that you've made this post.

It would make sense for a group of Salamanders to never return home as Xisor thoroughly explained.

Though it does bring into question whether the Salamanders knew of this and kept it a secret.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Disciples_of_the_Flames

I'm inteding to reread the entirety of FWs take on the Salamanders and the Disciples of the Flame.

Right now, I can only say that the Inquisition views their writings as proscribed reading. That does sound to me that they were not at good terms with the Imperium after the Heresy.

I assume that they would hide it. I can even imagine that the Disciples disappeared but Mezoa kept their teachings or whatsoever. At least, this could be a good starting point for a Primaris Salamaders chapter or a chapter which slowly adepts these teachings.