Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Are Predators worth using?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

NKWulf

NKWulf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12 posts

I am slowly building an army and was wondering if Predator Tanks were worth adding to it. 

Brotherblur

Brotherblur

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 126 posts

Well it depends on what style of play your going for. Most players I've seen deploy an auto pred with lascannon side sponsons(?) for monster assassinations/long range tank sniping.  Or some take a quad laz pred. Rarely do I see one with heavy bolters, probably because there units that far better at killing mass hordes like the razorback or whirlwind. 

jbickb

jbickb

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,601 posts
I have brought mine 5 or 6 times and I find it about on par with long fangs and filling a similar role. I have enjoyed them though.
Never Mistake:
My Silence for Ignorance
My Calmness for Acceptance
My Kindness for Weakness

wilkco

wilkco

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 55 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space wolves
They do have good fire power however the downside I found with the predator is the plus one to hit after it moves so a lot of the time it becomes a bit of a bunker type item.

I prefer to take a unit of long fangs with las-cannons that can also get the rerolls as well plus it is easier to get into cover also you can throw them in a rhino if you want to move them quickly.

but it all depends on the games you are fighting and how your army is set up

Razorback's seem to be the better the choice due to being able to put laser or assault cannon and you are also able to throw in a small troop unit as well

NKWulf

NKWulf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12 posts

thanks for the replys.  so it looks like its "players choice" lol.  ill most likely get 1 then and give it go along with my long fangs.  thanks again. 

jerrys

jerrys

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 86 posts

I guess another consideration might be target saturation: if all your other stuff is tough vehicles (e.g. rhinos and razorbacks and dreadnoughts or something), then the predator might be a good pick because the opponent only has so many lascannons, and his bolters will have nothing to shoot at. Whereas if you have all infantry, the long fangs might be better.

Yoyo ninja

Yoyo ninja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 842 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space Wolves
Preds have their place. They have some advantages over Long Fangs (take more damage before becoming less effective, don't have to pay more points to make them more mobile), where as Fangs have some advantages over Preds (easier to get in cover, cheaper, re-roll 1s).
So as others have said, it just depends on what you are playing as to what you will be taking. Worth having the option (I like Preds, I have 3, I also got 3 units of Fangs ;) you can never have to many big guns!).
Signature non-compliant with forum rules
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:199314][sharedmedia=gallery:images:199315][sharedmedia=gallery:images:199316]

Karhedronuk

Karhedronuk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 970 posts
A quad-las Predator is 190 points (assuming we use the Codex points costs rather than the Index ones). For 230 points, you can get 2 twin-las Razorbacks which give you the same firepower, nearly double the number of wounds and can also transport squads for you if you wish. It's not that the Predator is bad, I just think that Razorbacks are better because they are cheaper and more flexible.
  • Ulfgrim Alvsbane likes this

Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

NKWulf

NKWulf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12 posts

Thanks.  I'll look at the Razorbacks.   

Kasper_Hawser

Kasper_Hawser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,182 posts
  • Chapter Name: Vlka Fenryka

Thus far, I think the Autocannon Predator is a fantastic bang for buck. Even with just heavy bolters, the range and threat metre is awesome, and may even be underestimated until they experience the 3 damage of the cannon. Granted its only -1 AP, but still it's very satisfying to see a 2 wound model go poof in one shot once he/she/it fails the save.

Laspredator I'm still put off by the cost, also in my list, my anti-tank is fulfilled by Flyer Stormwolf, so my predators are dedicated to anti-infantry.

To answer OP, yes they are worth it, but sadly the Codex Marines do it better by virtue of their Killshot Strategems (add 1 to wound rolls for all 3 nearby predators). Even CSM can use it better by using their version of Killshot.

But still awesome. Remember, for Lascannons, you could always roll ones and twos even if you hit and wound.

"The 6th Legion has a reputation." said Bear.
"All the Legions Astartes have reputations," replied Hawser.
"Not like ours," said Ogvai "We are known for our ferocity. We are thought to be feral and undisciplined. Even brother Legions consider us to be wild and bestial."
"And you're not ?" asked Hawser.
"If we need to be," said Ogvai. "but if that was our natural state, we'd all be dead by now."
He leaned down towards Hawser like a parent addressing a child.
"It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous" he said.

Excerpt from "Prospero Burns" by Dan Abnett

NKWulf

NKWulf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12 posts

thanks for the respones.  I said screw it and got 2 boxes of Long Fangs, 2 Razorbacks, and 2 Predators.  lol.  

• Kasper_Hawser likes this

Kasper_Hawser

Kasper_Hawser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,182 posts
  • Chapter Name: Vlka Fenryka

thanks for the respones.  I said screw it and got 2 boxes of Long Fangs, 2 Razorbacks, and 2 Predators.  lol.  

All good choices which you can't go wrong. Thankfully in this edition, all three remain very useful, just a matter of tactics and preference. 

1) Long Fangs are the most killy but vulmerable

2) Predators are more survivable and slightly more mobile but more expensive

3) Razorbacks are cheapest and mobile but least firepower. However can serve as emergency transports and objective campers.

Just make sure you don't go against the jerks who spam more than 5 slots of heavy support, elites, Fast Attack, flyers or God forbid, lord of wars. 

"The 6th Legion has a reputation." said Bear.
"All the Legions Astartes have reputations," replied Hawser.
"Not like ours," said Ogvai "We are known for our ferocity. We are thought to be feral and undisciplined. Even brother Legions consider us to be wild and bestial."
"And you're not ?" asked Hawser.
"If we need to be," said Ogvai. "but if that was our natural state, we'd all be dead by now."
He leaned down towards Hawser like a parent addressing a child.
"It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous" he said.

Excerpt from "Prospero Burns" by Dan Abnett

Gherrick

Gherrick

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 985 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space Wolves

I think preds are worth their cost, better than vindi's, IMO. The 3W cannon can be very devastating.

Ulfgrim Alvsbane

Ulfgrim Alvsbane

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,733 posts
  • Chapter Name: Ultramarines

I think having four lascannons on a mobile platform is nice, but they just aren't enough like a "tank" for me.  It really needs Power of the Machine Spirit, and at least either a T8 and/or 2+ save to make it appealing to me.  Until then I'll stick with Long Fangs (or Centurions in chapters that allow them)

"We come home to pray, to reflect, to remember, before we journey back to the stars.
Hatred keeps us crusading, Regret brings us home. Shame always calls us back." - ADB

Anarnii

Anarnii

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 58 posts
I’m thinking of Mortis contemptor rather than predator. Only 4 points different, same damage outputs, but the contemptor gets 2+ to hit and 5+ invulnerable save.
  • Karhedronuk likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users