HH Rulebook - rules updates discussion

Charlo

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/30/the-horus-heresy-rulebook-pre-order-on-friday/

"Get ready to return to the 31st Millennium with the new Horus Heresy Age of Darkness Rulebook, available to pre-order this Friday. This book is your guide to gaming in the Age of Darkness; this valuable resource is for both experienced Praetors who’ve been playing since Betrayal and fledgeling Consuls looking to take their place in the greatest war the galaxy has ever known.

We know some of you want to know exactly what the Horus Heresy Age of Darkness Rulebook is, so we’ve prepared a quick Q&A:

What can you tell us about the upcoming Horus Heresy Rulebook?

It is a rulebook for use with the Horus Heresy range of miniatures using the 7th edition ruleset.

The core of the rules will be familiar to those playing the Horus Heresy today, but there have been some changes. Can you tell us about any?

The previous FAQs for 7th edition have been incorporated and the army construction section uses the Horus Heresy rules instead of the 7th edition standard. We’ve also made some balance changes based on community feedback. Invisibility has been replaced, while the usage of melta-bombs has been changed.

Does the new book work with the current range of Horus Heresy books and expansions?

Yes – all your red and black books still work!

What is in the book apart from the core rules themselves?

The rulebook just contains the core rules and useful reference material – you’ll find all the lore and specific rules for your chosen Legion (or the Mechanicum, or Crusade Imperialis) in the various Horus Heresy supplements.

In short, if you’ve been playing with the 7th edition rules then the game is much the same as it always was, but for some much-asked-for balance tweaks and less bookkeeping thanks to integrated army creation rules and FAQ updates. For instance,  Invisibility with the new Mind Howl psychic power:

FWPreview-Oct30-Image2je.jpg

FWPreview-Oct30-Spread1jfew.jpgFWPreview-Oct30-Spread2jda.jpg

FWPreview-Oct30-Spread3jw.jpg

If you’re looking for a more in-depth preview, we caught up with Andy Hoare last week to take a look at the book on Warhammer Live – subscribe on Twitch to watch it (and the rest of our archive) whenever you like. In the meantime, if you’re yet to get started with gaming in the Age of Darkness, the Betrayal at Calth and the Burning of Prospero boxed sets are a great place to begin your journey."

If it's anything north of £25... then I'll find it hard justifying the extra. 

Probably just borrow a friend's and learn the new rules. I don't do psychic and I doubt they've changed anything truly major... 

Auto buy for about 4 members of our group. It'll be good for the terrain rules to be all in one spot with the rules. 

Looking forward to it!

Eleven over here. ;)

I wonder what these "balance changes" are...

Me too.

Hopefully they do a digital edition. And hopefully this is the booster that the community has been waiting for. Get the Heresy train rolling again.

They have confirmed on their Facebook page it will be released the same as their other red books.

I for one am very excited by this book.

Although we will see nothing majorly new, this will keep us going for the foreseeable while 8th has it's time in the spotlight.

They have already said they are using the near future to catch up on units without models and all the little bits and bobs which is not a bad thing - we just gotta hang in there!

We know Dorn was almost finished a month or 2 ago so we have that to look forward to and titanicus also.

The heresy train.... brakes it has not...

I wonder what these "balance changes" are...

It didn't sound like anything was changing besides multi-bombing (as long as you're using one type of grenade) in assaults and Invisibility getting replaced.  During the interview, Andy Hoare said they were keeping the 40k version of D-weapons and Haywire probably hadn't changed.  Those of watching forgot to ask about Stomps or knight firing arcs, but I'd be surprised if they changed.  It sounds like it's mostly a re-organization of the 40k rulebook, with just the universal special rules that 30k armies use.

Those two changes were really just the low-hanging fruit, but making them is the biggest sign we've had in a long time that FW is actually paying attention to players.  Heck, they even mentioned "Centurion games" in the interview, the restricted rules for small, infantry-heavy games that a podcast made up.  That was interesting.

It's pricey for something so similar to the old 40k rulebook that was handed out so much it's practically free, but if it's well organized I'll buy it rather than marking up a 40k book.

He also said there are minor tweaks to the sections he went over. While I don't expect anything major, the way that these rules are written a small change could have a big downstream impact. We won't know until we have the books I'm afraid.

I hope we'll have a working battlescribe within the release date :smile.:

It works now? plus this book won't affect battlescribe would it? Maybe the daemon/fortification bits but most likely not

Nope, Part "2" has been added but it still crashes before load.

I hope we'll have a working battlescribe within the release date :smile.:

It works now? plus this book won't affect battlescribe would it? Maybe the daemon/fortification bits but most likely not

Nope, Part "2" has been added but it still crashes before load.

Yep it still crashes.

Archived