Need Direction for a Created Army

BloodWolves

Hey there,

First time posting on here. I am getting into the hobby and I'm enjoying the background and more behind it all. Now I've narrowed down to the Blood Angels and Space Wolves as my favorites. As I guess are many other people's favorites. Now, id like to mix the 2 and create a chapter called the "Blood Wolves". Unfortunately it seems like that chapter namw belongs to chaos. I was wondering if i could reclaim the name? I was also wondering if I could use the Blood Angels models but the Space Wolves Codex (As I would like some wolves in the army). How would I go about starting am army like this or can I even? Thanks in advance for your help!

You could say that the Bloodwolves chapter split when half turned to Chaos and the other half stayed loyal to the Emperor. Add something like 'Repentant' or 'Penitent' to your chapter name, to show that they are atoning for the rest of the chapters wrong doing.

As for what dex and models you use, it's totally up to you, you may get some odd looks but it's your hobby, do as you wish ;).

As long as weapons match, and other load outs(jump packs) it is fine to use either codex. A space wolf marine is just a bearded fur covered marine. Remember that both codexes feature unique weapons, helfrost and frost weapons for the wolves, and inferno pistols for angels. Don't cross the unique specials either, Death Co, Wulfen, Furioso Dreads or Shield and Axe dreads. My opinion is buy both, then you can make two armies and share some models.

I'm actually lame and I'm not super competitive so I was thinking of picking up a start collecting box of both of them and splitting the units up. One for me to play and one for the wife to play. I'd just paint the tops of the back packs different or have one group with different eye colors.. but just in case I wanna compete with them, id just pick a Codex but since I wanna use wolves.. I'd probably have to use the Space Wolves Codex? Also.. i like this color scheme I found.. it's probably been asked before but coukd anyone tell me the colors used or who painted these?

I'm actually lame and I'm not super competitive so I was thinking of picking up a start collecting box of both of them and splitting the units up. One for me to play and one for the wife to play. I'd just paint the tops of the back packs different or have one group with different eye colors.. but just in case I wanna compete with them, id just pick a Codex but since I wanna use wolves.. I'd probably have to use the Space Wolves Codex? Also.. i like this color scheme I found.. it's probably been asked before but coukd anyone tell me the colors used or who painted these?

Blood, can I call you blood?

Its good you've shown an interest in the hobby and that you've picked us as your starter army. The thing is we don't have a codex yet. We are mentioned in something called The Index: Imperium 1. It has the full listing of our units plus listings of other flavors of marines including blood angels. Get yourself a copy, finish building some models then ask some local players for a couple test sessions to familiarize the basic rules of the game. 

@Brotherblur haha for sure! Well thanks for the welcome. I got a copy of the Index and I hope that the Space Wolves get a Codex soon. I know the blood angels was supposed to be out on the 11th. And yes I know it's ironic that I picked the werewolves and vampires as my favorites. I just suck at kinda understanding it all. I've watched alot of battle reports on YouTube and I always see an emphasis on tanks and vehicles and monsters vs Troops. I personally like troops and the shooting/ combat aspect. Like I watched The Tau and one character shot like 20 times.. it was ridiculous. I like the BA set because there's a tank and a heavy bolter (I know they aren't that great but I think they are so cool looking) so that saves me a bit of money and that most wear helmets but I like the Space Wolves background. I just am not sure what to get to start. My wife I don't see playing alot so I'd like to be able to convert and field her troops in mine as one army if I get a chance to play against other people. I'm thinking of playing no more than 1000pts.

@ BloodWolves

Please feel free to use red marines with Space Wolves rules, so long as the weapons loadout is as per Index Imperium Space Wolves rules. As far as I can advise, the equipment from Blood Angels which cannot be used in Space Wolves are as follows:

1) Hand flamers

2) Inferno pistols

3) Heavy flamers

4) Grav weaponry

Take away all that, and what you'll get is basically red Space Wolves Grey Hunters, Blood Claws, Long Fangs and Wolf Guard of all flavors. You'll find that Space Wolves units are far more flexible in terms of equipment, especially terminators which are NOT fixed with powerfists and stormbolters.

For unique units, I wouldn't advise proxying as Space Wolves. Sanguinary Guard maybe you can try to pretend to be Wolf Guard with Jump Packs but they're a bit too flashy to proxy as anything else to be frank. if you REALLY want to, I guess they can proxy as wulfen as well.

Death Company on the other hand can be Sky Claws provided being black jump pack marines but bear in mind the weapons loadout, not every Skyclaw can carry power weapons.

Basic SM Chaplains, Captains, Librarians can all be fairly used as Wolf Priest, Lord and Rune Priest. Sanguinary priest will look a bit odd but as long as you can stick a power maul or remove the "Grail", you can use him either as a Wolf Priest or Wolf Lord as well.

Hope this helps you plan your first 1000 points. As long as you avoid the "not useable by Wolves" weapons list, I think you should be fine with proxying as long as your opponent can fairly see the model for what it is. 

Death company could double as wulfen and vice versa, a few magnets for the shields and you should be good,

Use the same weapon to represent grav and helfrost, as they do not look a million miles apart visually

Give the guy with the inferno pistol or hand flamer a bolter and claim he has a combi weapon :D

@Kasper_Hawser

Could I use a Baal Predator loadout for the Space wolves? I like the twin assault cannons. I wish you could put lascannons on the side

Technically you can use baal predators with your wolves if you ally Blood angels in a spare detachment.  As the game stands, your forces are organized into separate detachments where each detachment hosts one specific type of deployment force organisation: patrol, battalion, vanguard, supreme commanders, etc. Typically, most try for 2-3 detachments to maximize command points but most casual games such things aren't considered. 

Example: 

1st detachment-primary

Wolf lord

Gray hunters with Razorbacks/assault cannons.

Long fangs/w Missle launchers

2nd Detachment-Allies Blood angel.

Chaplain with jump pack

Death Company

Baal Predator.

Make sure to clearly state which is your primary detachment to your opponent before your matches begin for the sake of fairness and strategy. This list would work under 1000 points as it utilizes the shooting capabilities of the wolves combined with the close quarters ferocity of the blood angels. 

And for fluff, the Blood Angels are ferocious by gene seed as well, and a Chapters own history and recruitment culture can effect them as much as their parent Legion and Primarch. The Flesh Tearers take much more from Amit, their first Chapter Master than their cousins the Blood Angels. My Chapter, the Dust Wraiths, are from Guilliman's gene-seed, but share far more in common with the Wolves, and have a strong bond with a BA successor near them in the Dark Imperium.

My point is that fluff and models don't have to match the first founding rules you draw from, outside of wysiwyg for weapons. Even that has flexibility, like I want to use a pattern of FW autocannon as a Blight Launcher, for one of my hundred planned armies. As long as you are consistent and fairly obvious with conversions, it's fair game.

Years ago, I had an idea for a "Cursed Founding" successor chapter.  They had combined gene-seed from Space Wolves and Blood Angels in an effort to reduce the drawbacks of each.  In reality, what they got was a very aggressive, bloodthirsty chapter that was fond of very mobile warfare (particularly jump packs).

They were called the Blood Eagles, after the Norse form of execution where the victim's ribs were cracked open and his lungs pulled out through his back.  Needless to say, this was not a viable Chapter, but as the records were lost, they lived on and fought for the Imperium.

Nowadays, I suppose it could be reflected by an Astartes "soup" army combining individual units from SW, BA, even RG and/or white Scars, perhaps.  I miss the "create your own Chapter" rules where you could take certain traits or USRs and certain drawbacks - it allowed me to best reflect the lore.  Sadly I never painted more than a test model.

As there are many Chapters who are Successors of unknown origin, and as there was an entire Founding that went badly and whose records were expunged, it's not exactly a cop-out.  It just allows you the liberty to decide for yourself.  I'd recommend looking into the various Foundings that have occurred in the last 10,000 years, see if there are any into which your concept fits, and remember that if they are descended from Space Wolves gene-seed, it would have to be on the down-low.  It's not something that would have been sanctioned by Terra due to what happened with the Wolf Brothers.

@Ulfgrim Alvsbane

I wish I knew the game as well as you do. I guess I'd ask if I could write an entire Codex for a created Army. Just following the set up of a chapter specific Codex?

I think I'd keep it small. I would just play Kill Team Games.

Edited by BloodWolves

You know, that's not a bad idea.  Making your own Chapter is a lot less of a burden when it's just a few squads of guys for a Kill Team or Shadow War game.  You may have inspired me to finally paint these guys up... if I can remember the color scheme (it's been many years).

I look forward to hearing and seeing more of what you come up with as well.

The background or inspiration I have is from Game of Thrones. Like how they have the Knights but they have wolf pelts or id do it where theres the Knights watch (Red Space Wolves converted from Blood Angels) and the wildlings would be dark grey space wolves (or reverse the color schemes). The planet would be called Bloodfell, as every night as the sun sets the wind would blow the snow from the high high mountains and the setting red sun would reflect off the snow looking like blood droplets falling. I'd have a champion modeled after my favorite character, The Hound. I'd use only 1 Primaris marine (as I'm not a huge fan of them) and model him after The Mountain. It may not work, or it might. If I ever play a big game or play against a purist.. I'd just pick a Codex. I'd like to find a way to describe how the blood angels and space wolves came together and shared what they had as they would be smaller than a company.

Oh and there mission is like the Dark Angels, to hunt down all who stole their name and restore pride to their chapter.

Also if creating a new chapter.. would it be wise or easier to have an unknown primarch? Kinda like the Blood Ravens but have it hinting to a few of them? I just wanna thank all who have helped me out. Means alot. I went to a GW store this weekend and no one was really helpful or nice. It was rather exclusionary.

Well, there were only the 20 (well, 18) Primarchs of the original Legions - your Chapter would be a Successor of one of them, but it might not be known.  Many Chapters are of unknown lineage - records are lost or destroyed or conflicting.

It sucks that you got treated that way.  I'm fortunate to have good and friendly stores in my area.  It doesn't help the hobby to alienate people.  Gamers in general really don't have any place looking down on anyone, given the reputation for being unwashed, socially stunted man-children. :D

Yeah GW stores are getting rather hipsterish. Last time I was at one there was only one other person and the Employee was just too pushy to get people to buy stuff. 

You might have a better time going to a third party game store that sells GW stuff like a comic book store or hobby shop. Often they are run by fellow players who have a love for all sorts of games.