Need Direction for a Created Army

BloodWolves

Hahah well I got into the hobby to help with PTSD. Things just seem simpler when you're putting things together.

Anyways, apart from my sob story, anyone have any ideas for Lore for how the Blood Angels and Space Wolves together formed a tiny chapter called Blood Wolves? I'd probably keep the chapter to only a company and a half large.

Go with my explanation - they were trying to genetically eliminate the flaws from the Thirst and the Wulfen gene by combining the gene-seed in the hopes of joining the strengths (I know, bad idea, and probably the worst two to combine).  This is why the "Cursed Founding" works so well - basically every Chapter conceived at the time had some horrible flaw or fate.

What year should I have the chapter start In? I want them to be new. I was thinking as Guilliman was working on preparing Geneseed for the Primaris Marines, he tasked to find a cure for the Thirst/ Black Rage and the Wulfin. Hoping that the flaws would battle each other out to the point of eradication. Although this attempt seemed to work, Guilliman felt that he would only create 3 companies of regular marines before giving the time into investing into Primaris Marines of the Crimson Wolves (name prior to the chapter changing their name) and monitor them. Unfortunately things started to change and both traits started to show. Guilliman noticed this and ordered the hunt and termination of the failed chapter. Guilliman succeeded in terminating a company and a half (as a warp gate opened on a critical planet nearby). The Blood Wolves changed their name, not knowing a chaos chapter had it before them (that's another plot thing). They banded what they had left together and heard of a war that a loyal SM chapter was losing against a Xenos threat. They arrived and saved that Loyal chapter. Guilliman heard news and met with the surviving Lord Commander and issued a retraction on his order and stated he would provide the Blood Wolves with a powerful Chaplains to help control the curses and an intelligent Apothecary to help rebuild the Chapter And to work on a cure or a suppressant serum for the warriors of the Blood Wolves. Does that all sound ok? Or what needs work? Im not the best writer in the world, nor the most imaginative but I'm trying here.

Well, you see... the Primaris were made with gene-seed derived from the original Primarchs (hence the name).  They are essentially genetically equivalent to the Terran Legions and thus, presumably, lacking the defect that millennia of degradation can bring.  Perhaps someone who's well-read in the Heresy-era novels can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Space Wolves fell to the Curse of the Wulfen in Russ' time, nor was the Black Rage or Red Thirst prevalent while Sanguinius lived.

Essentially, each new generation of Astartes is made by harvesting the genetic material of the generation before.  It's like making a copy of a copy (of a copy etc. etc., for ten thousand years).  The Primaris Marines don't have that issue - theirs is literally M31 geneseed.

But it's an imaginative story and there's no reason you can't run with it.  You've clearly put some thought into it, so I don't want to come across as critical of your idea.  And I might be totally off base on my understanding of everything above.  Just food for thought and a different (but nearby) POV.

I knew I could count on you for help! Alright! I'll scratch that idea with the primarchs. Could I still use Guilliman and the grand leader who ordered the orders to start research, development, termination and apology? What year or Millennium should I start it all?

I apologize for asking so much so often. To be honest.. this has taken up alot of my mental space which is good for me. I thank you all for being so kind and helpful towards me.

Look up "Cursed Founding", the 21st Founding in M35.  There's actually an article from an old White Dwarf (reprinted in one of the Chapter Approved books from years back).  Even if you decide not to place your origin in that setting, I'll bet it will give you lots of ideas.  If nothing else, it's an interesting read.

And the great thing is, because there have been entire Foundings of Chapters whose parentage in unknown, they might or might not even know that they are Successors of the Wolves and Angels - nor, necessarily, would the Imperium at large.  So even if the base idea is that they were an unsuccessful experiment that kind of turned into a (controlled) abomination, they might still exist and serve without persecution (do you think the scientists who did it are going to own up to it, or would they destroy the records instead?) ;)

I just read about it all on wiki. It's pretty much what I was looking for to help describe what I'm trying to write out! Dang it.. part of me wanted to have stumbled on something new and exciting and get the purests all riled up. But this is awesome. The Sons of Anteaus seem pretty cool too. Thanks!

The blood moon rose high in the sky as Vengr drew in a deep breath of chill winter air, his heightened senses sorting through each smell cataloguing it and continuing searching for that which he sought, finally amongst the smell of the coniferous forest and the beasts contained within the faintest lingering whiff of corruption. His Blood Pack has followed the tainted ones across the stars to this obscure planetoid deep within the Segmentum Solar, each of his pack was low amongst the fauna in a hunters crouch waiting for their lord's command. A fanged smile crept across his lips as he observed each of his Blood Guard, Ragnar his sword brother like him had picked up the scent of their tainted brothers, his ancient power sword already in his hand, the machine spirit as hungry as its master for the spoiled blood of traitors. Geir was grinning, forever mirthful as if his rumbling laugh was ready to tumble from his lips in an instant; his musings were cut short as suddenly the moon went dark as if it had been snuffed from the sky, the pungent odour of corruption filling the his nostrils, clouding his senses to anything else.

Vengr locked his helm into place and his lenses flared to life identifying hundreds of target flitting through the trees followed by a rumbling laughter as if the moon itself was laughing at them. The vox flared to life though not one of his Blood Guard spoke.

“You chased me across the stars for a long time brother” the voice was full of barely contained rage and yet Vengr knew to whom the voice belonged.

“Now here on this cursed rock your hunt is at an end, but not your lives, no, they belong to the Lord of Skulls and you will see in his service anything is possible Vengr, my brother in blood”.

Vengr could feel his blood boiling as the voice spoke, the bestial rage within him tearing through him with barely contained ferocity, at the moment he could have fallen but suddenly the runic talisman around his neck turned white hot on his gorget leaving hoarfrost and char marks on his armour, it was enough to snap him from the darker side of his psyche and quell the animal within, he drew a deep cold breath once more and let loose howl of defiance that stirred his pack from their rage.

“Brothers! Stand and show your defiance to this Lord of Skulls, howl into the night your rage and burn away shadow on your souls, you are hunters, you are brothers, you are the Wolves of Redemption and the only blood that will spill this night is that of the traitor, that of the unclean. For redemption and the all father!”

Vengr’s howl was long and loud and his blade was death to any who came within it’s were sent screaming to the skull throne until but one remained. He knew the Astartes in front of him, a hundred battles they had fought side by side, in the practice cages they fought for hours with never an upperhand gained, it was said when they were brothers that they were two sides of the same coin, Vengr; dark and brooding but respected for his prowess, Baldr; quick to laugh and adored by all those who met him. When the fall came the heart of the chapter was torn asunder Baldr over half of the Astartes turned from the light of the Allfather fell under the sway of the Lord of Skulls and now after more than a century of hunting the pair stood face to face once more, but this was no practice cage and there would be only one left standing.

I did write that, forgive the grammatical/spelling errors it was done at 4am whilst at work and I am glad you enjoyed it. I think the one thing to bear in mind is that if you are using a Space Wolf geneseed as your back story I would avoid using "hound" as a descriptive terms for squads etc....its kind of a derogatory thing for the wolves.

You could have a Captain attached to the veteran squad or ever the Sergeant and call him <insert name>, the Howl of Vengeance -  give him a huge axe. If you are using, bearing mind you can use Imperium as a key word have a small contingent  Death Company lead by a counts as Astorath the Grim as he has rules for a big axe....

Blood Wolves

Introduction

The Blood Wolves are amongst humanity’s greatest warriors. With their small size, they still manage to impact battles and even change the tides of wars with their presence. Matched with their ferocity is a deep dark history that haunts the chapter.

Called to protect the Imperium and Humanity are the Space Marines. In a time of endless war, destruction and suffering, the Space Marines stand as the shield that protects and the sword that slays the enemies of Mankind. The Space Marines stand as humanity’s last hope for survival. The Blood Wolves are a part of this shield and sword, though they represent a small fragment, they have proven themselves time and time again in the field of battle. When they hear the call of war, the entirety of the chapter answers. Their courage, sacrifice, determination and grit are all blessed hallmarks of the chapter. The Blood Wolves however harbor many deep and dark secrets and as the secrets become more and more prevalent, the chapter slowly dwindles, still however, they fight on. All Blood Wolves understand this and because of this they strive to achieve all the good they possibly can before they fall and try to restore the legacy back to a proud name.

First paragraph of my codex

• 3 weeks later...

Good stuff however.

I would be a little less Mary Sue about it.

The Space Marine -  humanities greatest and last line of defence against the unfeeling xenos of the void and never ending hordes of daemons that inhabit the immaterium. Each Astartes stands as a shield protectingt the helpless flock of humanity and at once is the avenging blade of the Emperor honed a sharp; capable of vanquishing the greatest of the Imperium's enemies. Over one thousand chapters of one thousand marines wage an endless as the Imperium is set upon by the heretic, the xenos and the traitor for even the mighty astartes are not without flaw.

The Blood Wolves are at once a shining example of what can be achieved in name of humanity and honor and a dire warning to those who harbor dark secrets and stray too far from the light of the Emperor. A chapter who once paragons of humanity willing to sell their lives to save all those under their protection now torn asunder through heresy of the most diabolical kind, that of the traitor. Now they are but a shadow of their former glories, a ragtag band of renegades scavenging what they can in hope of seeing their vengeance fulfilled as their numbers dwindle ever smaller.

Edited by Sigvard