T'au Pathfinders Inquiry

Aothaine

I was just flipping through my Xenos 2 Index last night and I saw that the T'au Pathfinders are able to bring two interesting support drones. The Grav-Inductor makes it so any enemy units within 12" have to subtract d3" from their charge roll. And the accelerator drone adds 6" to most pulse weaponry. 

The base Pathfinder is 5 points a model I believe, I forgot to check the cost of the carbine. Meaning that you can get a unit with those two drones for 41 points. Drop them near your Strike Teams then Pathfinders get the 7" move to spread out to prevent opponents deep striking onto you.

So what I'm thinking here is deploying one pathfinder team per strike team. Splitting the force into two groups against assault armies, otherwise kind of spreading out a bit. 

The grav drones and will sit inside the strike teams to help prevent assaults into their lines, with the accelerator drones attempting to stay in range of both the pathfinders and strike teams. But I will mainly use the pathfinders to drop marker lights on enemy hard targets. 

Have any of you played with pathfinders in this way? Have you used the Grav and accelerator drones? If so, how did they work? I imagine any assaulting unit will just try and shoot down the grav drone. Is there anyway to protect it?

Base Pathfinder is 8p since you have to add the 3p for the Markerlight still.
The Drones are neat, however since Drones form their own unit after deployment, the opponent can simply destroy the Grav Inhib Drone before charging.

The Pulse Accelerator Drone is okay. Shooting is not really the job of Pathfinder (Firewarrior and Gun Drones both do the S5 shooting better) and if you want to add some damage output you're better off taking Ion or Rail Rifles (Ion Rifles are pretty point efficient and Rail Rifles are simply devastating if you can make the Pathfinder survive for a bit), but it's okay for nearby Firewarrior and Gun Drones. Not really needed, but not bad either. The best source of S5 shooting is still a Devilfish full of Gun Drones (ideally split in two units) and a Fireblade.

The only way to protect the Drones would be to add two Shield Drones to the Pathfinder unit and thus create a mixed unit of Drones where the Shield Drones can tank the first two casualties. Not ideal but should be fine in casual games.

Yeah mainly looking at casual games here. I understand that T'au just don't have the tools to deal with what the new codexes and psychic phase are dishing out.

Also thanks a bunch for the correct point cost. It does increase the cost of the squad significantly but it might still be worth it. I'm going to have to pull out some bases this weekend and run some tests. I do understand that the extra 6" range might only be effective in the first/second turn as it increases the rapid fire range to 18" then with a fireblade their are getting three shots each at 18" with the pulse rifles and the pathfinders would be able to use their carbines at 21". 

I did look into the Ion and Rail Rifles but I'm not sure I want to invest that many points into the squad when my Anti-tank/MC should be coming from other units.

The Devilfish full of Gun Drones and a Fireblade sounds good too. Maybe run two-three of these with the one Fireblade and a Commander with Fusion Blasterx3 & Drone Support System? Then take the pathfinder teams to keep on your back-line objectives and fire marker lights for the drones to use?

Yeah mainly looking at casual games here. I understand that T'au just don't have the tools to deal with what the new codexes and psychic phase are dishing out.

Also thanks a bunch for the correct point cost. It does increase the cost of the squad significantly but it might still be worth it. I'm going to have to pull out some bases this weekend and run some tests. I do understand that the extra 6" range might only be effective in the first/second turn as it increases the rapid fire range to 18" then with a fireblade their are getting three shots each at 18" with the pulse rifles and the pathfinders would be able to use their carbines at 21". 

I did look into the Ion and Rail Rifles but I'm not sure I want to invest that many points into the squad when my Anti-tank/MC should be coming from other units.

The Devilfish full of Gun Drones and a Fireblade sounds good too. Maybe run two-three of these with the one Fireblade and a Commander with Fusion Blasterx3 & Drone Support System? Then take the pathfinder teams to keep on your back-line objectives and fire marker lights for the drones to use?

No need for the Drone Controller there, really. Imo that's wasted points for a unit that's supposed to burst the target it drops near and then is likely to die anyway.

I think you misunderstand something. The Rifles aren't exactly anti-monster/anti-tank. They are anti-infantry. The Rail Rifle shreds Marines and similar, but is very ineffective against T7 and T8 targets of course. Likewise the D1 and AP-1 characteristic is not good against monsters or tanks but the high strength works very well against infantry (and the Ion Rifle costs basically nothing).

Also Pulse Carbines have 24" with the Accelerator Drone, not 21". ;)

No need for the Drone Controller there, really. Imo that's wasted points for a unit that's supposed to burst the target it drops near and then is likely to die anyway.

I think you misunderstand something. The Rifles aren't exactly anti-monster/anti-tank. They are anti-infantry. The Rail Rifle shreds Marines and similar, but is very ineffective against T7 and T8 targets of course. Likewise the D1 and AP-1 characteristic is not good against monsters or tanks but the high strength works very well against infantry (and the Ion Rifle costs basically nothing).

Also Pulse Carbines have 24" with the Accelerator Drone, not 21". :wink:

Ahhhh! Gotcha. Just pulling stuff out of my head as I left my index at home today. Gonna have to look into the other options again I think. I'm trying to stay clear of too many crisis suits even though they are pretty good right now. 

Also Pulse Carbines have 24" with the Accelerator Drone, not 21". :wink:

Ahhhh! Gotcha. Just pulling stuff out of my head as I left my index at home today. Gonna have to look into the other options again I think. I'm trying to stay clear of too many crisis suits even though they are pretty good right now. 

Actually Crisis are pretty bad right now. 42ppm before weapons is really too much. :D

Commander however have sick value. 76p for BS2+, an additional weapon slot, Character rule, more wounds, etc. etc.

Actually Crisis are pretty bad right now. 42ppm before weapons is really too much. :biggrin.:

Commander however have sick value. 76p for BS2+, an additional weapon slot, Character rule, more wounds, etc. etc.

What do you think about the Crisis Guardian teams? They seemed pretty decent to me. I was going to have the Commander with the tri-fusion blasters but I might just go with four fusion blasters now and then have three of the guard crisis suits with tri-burst cannons.  Figured that would be 36 burst cannon shots on models that can absorb wounds that are meant for my commander. Or would it be better to keep the three fusion blasters and grab the 4++ save support system?

Actually Crisis are pretty bad right now. 42ppm before weapons is really too much. :biggrin.:

What do you think about the Crisis Guardian teams? They seemed pretty decent to me. I was going to have the Commander with the tri-fusion blasters but I might just go with four fusion blasters now and then have three of the guard crisis suits with tri-burst cannons.  Figured that would be 36 burst cannon shots on models that can absorb wounds that are meant for my commander. Or would it be better to keep the three fusion blasters and grab the 4++ save support system?

The Bodyguards? Pointless. We have Drones who are arguably the best bodyguards in the game right now. 8p to catch a Lascannons shot and maybe even survives on a 5+ in case of the shield drone? Yes please!

With Burst Cannons you'll be pretty disappointed as well. I honestly can only recommend two weapons for Crisis. Cyclic Ion Blaster and Flamer (best in combination with Homing Beacon carrying Stealth Suits and 2 Shield Drones per Crisis Suit). Everything else falls short by comparison.

27 S7 AP-1 shots > 36 S5 AP0 shots. Especially since you can overcharge them against multi-wound models. When looking at points per wound stats for CIBs then 2xCIB+ATS is even better than 3xCIB (and also helps against abilities like the Thousand Sons All is Dust).

Shield Generator aren't really worth it on Crisis since you'd come in a situation where you have to decide whether you want to risk it and take the shot on the Crisis for the 50% chance to save it or to take it on a Drone via Saviour Protocol in which case the Shield Generator would be wasted points.

Even more clear on the Commander since he can hide behind other units thanks to the Character rule so you just take two Shield Drones with him and the enemy has to get through the two 4++ and the 5+++ before he can even shoot at him.

Ahhh gotcha! Thanks a bunch for the discussions btw. I'm learning a lot about T'au right now. I've always been in love with the design of this army but have always veered about from building them due to various reasons. Finally looking to get started so I'm digging to get as much info as I can.

Edit: What are your thoughts on the crisis teams with tri-flamers on each suit?  A squad of three gives you 9d6 auto hits at 4/0/1. When I was testing the rolls it seems with my rolling, which is horrible, it took about 5 suits with tri-flamers to guarantee a wipe of a 10-man tactical squad. Most marines are running 5-man groups right now so the squad of three should work for anti-infantry.

Edited by Aothaine