Digital wolf stepping through the warp onto the TT

TiguriusX

You prime grey, then spray a matte black on top?

For me it depends on how much time I have. If very limited, I will use the ratle cans, because setting up, using te airbrush, then cleaning and packing up is quite time intensive. Plus Vallejo primers are recommended 24 hours for full curing time (they can be used as quickly and rattle can primers, but for full hardness need to be left).

If I have a lot to do and several hours to noodle about then the airbrush is ace, as the wasted paint is minimal and vallejo primers are smooth as silk, so I can bulk prime, wash out the brush and then zenithal pre shade (medea com-art opaque white is the mutts nuts) and apply colour to a lot of models very quickly.

Yes Mech grey is an amazing colour, almost makes you feel deflated to do a ton of spraying then looks like you havent done anything.

Eradicator head looks great on Judiciar

Glad you are safe

I did not spray different prime colors on the same model. I have heard of that technique when doing zenith orbital something something but I haven't been brave enough to attempt it

I was using different primes depending on the final color theme I wanted for the model

Judiciar is going to be lots of black like a chaplain so I just started off that way

My terminators were all primed black then painted over (did them early in learning my paint techniques where I basically primed everything black). I repeated the process so I have consistency for the new arms

The eradicators will be getting my standard primaris paint scheme which is mostly mechanicus standard grey with black. Priming them grey saves me a ton of time and then I just paint the black sections. Originally I was doing the reverse....priming black and painting grey back on

med_gallery_49686_15551_96321.jpg

The wolf I wanted a lighter color...I did 3 test wolves waaaay back when and the white prime version was my favorite

gallery_49686_13890_41445.jpg

med_gallery_49686_13890_139925.jpg

We are fortunate that Halfords and other car primers are very close in colour to mech grey. My Wolves up until recently were standard mech grey as the main colour.

I saw a guy on youtube (LukesApps) do the spray can zenithal, but it was for terrain and worked pretty well. have to admit, I tried it on my sons Primaris and it workd not too bad. Had 2 different grey primers and a white primer :D

I then did gold over the top as he wanted gold marines with red helmets, and now he has 16 warriors of the Red Skulls chapter

My judiciar....not exactly what I had in my imagination but I like it.

Decided NOT to use the chains in the final product.

It is easy to attach and remove so I can change my mind later

gallery_49686_16563_221950.jpg

gallery_49686_16563_158102.jpg

med_gallery_49686_16563_53330.jpg

med_gallery_49686_16563_43073.jpg

gallery_49686_16563_184747.jpg

I took 2 items of inspiration from Petey...the red maw helmet and the shoulder pad fur scheme

I think my black armor instead of his white armor changes the impact...I tried to change up the color by mixing in some grey

And the humor post

med_gallery_49686_16563_117476.jpg

Mid progress I looked like I was making a DEAD POOL model

The Judiciar looks great.

A few things though for me woulld really push this model up a notch.

I hope this does not come across as me having a go, because I am not. I think the model is fantastic.

The steel on the wolf, could do with something to help define the separate plates more, like a little pinwash around the plates, to make each one stand out a bit more

The glove on the left hand is very plain. It could either do with a wash to deepen the red, and or a bit of an edge highlight to create more interest, for me the red is quite 'flat'the right glove looks pretty good though

The tubing below the faceplate, coud do with being silver/ steel to match the rest of the tubing and break up the red on the faceplate.

The red on the helm, I think it could do with a wash, maybe some blue or purple, just to get in the recesses of the grill and deepen the colour, then a red highlight under the lenses and down the ridge of the face plate. It will really help the helm stand out

An old adage is "Faces & bases make the model"

adread 1

apoth 2

apoth 3

assault 1

I do it with mine and it really helps give a bit more interest to the model.

Gotta say though, love the ring on his left hand,kinda reminds me of the Phantom

phantom

Advice is always appreciated

The Judiciar looks great.

A few things though for me woulld really push this model up a notch.

I have a huge list myself lol

I am not happy with my power weapons.  They never come out a way I like

I also need to finish up fine detail work...the ax handle needs nuln oil and the bright red gloves need to be dulled down too

The steel on the wolf, could do with something to help define the separate plates more, like a little pinwash around the plates, to make each one stand out a bit more

No idea what a pinwash is

I was thinking of getting dawnstone or eshin grey and doing the edges to help it stand out

The glove on the left hand is very plain. It could either do with a wash to deepen the red, and or a bit of an edge highlight to create more interest, for me the red is quite 'flat'the right glove looks pretty good though

I agree the gloves need to be hit with lots of nuln oil.  They are too clean right now. 

Looks like he is wearing his dexter kill room rubber maid gloves before he goes to work

I like the dirty red on your dread...I need to make the gloves look like that

The tubing below the faceplate, coud do with being silver/ steel to match the rest of the tubing and break up the red on the faceplate.

This is where my bad eye sight kills me with painting...what tubing?

I also have zero skill with minute tiny detail work.  I avoid it because I have ruined "good" paint jobs with lack of control and never got it back where it started

The red on the helm, I think it could do with a wash, maybe some blue or purple, just to get in the recesses of the grill and deepen the colour, then a red highlight under the lenses and down the ridge of the face plate. It will really help the helm stand out

I don't have any blue or purple washes.

I do have guilliman glaze and tallasar blue contrast

I was going to just nuln oil it more.

Gotta say though, love the ring on his left hand,kinda reminds me of the Phantom

I can't take any credit for that.  It is part of the base model

Hi Tigurius.

Thanks for the detailed responses.

First one, what brand of paints do you use? I used mainly GW paints, but find myself using vallejo & scale 75 more and more. I woiuld absolutely recommend the vallejo metals, they flow so well and coverage is amazing. I have magnesium, jet exhaust and burnt iron. Absolutely brilliant.

Do you have any inks instead of washes?

What is it that you would like to achieve with the power weapons?

The tubing. Where the models chin is, there is a piece of tubing just below the faceplate, it is the ridged section. You can see it in the picture,

I circled it with yellow

head

As fir eyesight, I totally get you. I am lost without my magnifying glasses. I use somehting like these.

lens

For me they are absolutely invaluable, and they go over my glasses a treat. I am long sighted so close up work is an absolute ball-ache for me.
If you cant do minute detai you did well to pick the ring out.

Pin wash is when you use a dilute paint or wash and apply it to the recess areas of the model, the idea is that the paint is drawn off the brush and sits in the recesses, giving you a nice shadow line. Great for making armour plates stand out from one another.

I hope to pin wash my models tonight, so I will do a before and after shot  if I remember.

The dirty red on the dread is exactly the same as I did my reds on all my older models. Khorne red base, wash with drakenhof nightshade, let it dry 1 very thin layer of khorne red lead=ving blue in the shadows, another thin coat near the edge and fianl edge highlight with mephiston or evil sunz scarlet. If it looks out of whack a glaze of blood letter usually helps blend it all together, but carroburg might work in a pinch.

For your axe handles, I thought you had already done a wash, like you had for the wolf? If not I would recommend using agrax. Black wash for me just kills colour, infact I almost never use it. Except when doing black armour.

I do all my models grey, use exact same recipe and technique, then for the black armour on a wolf priest, a few coats of nuln or vallejo black wash and you get a nice highlighted black.

black 2

Black 1

Not sure if this covers everyhing

• 3 weeks later...

First one, what brand of paints do you use? I used mainly GW paints, but find myself using vallejo & scale 75 more and more. I woiuld absolutely recommend the vallejo metals, they flow so well and coverage is amazing. I have magnesium, jet exhaust and burnt iron. Absolutely brilliant.

Do you have any inks instead of washes?

I use GW paints with some cheaper army painter black/white spray primer

med_gallery_49686_13890_199182.jpg

no inks

some washes and contrast but mainly the traditional paint

I also do NOT have a broad collection. I do not have the patience to do 6+ different shades of a color to get master artisan results

I just want decent looking...non embarrassing models when I am done

My power weapon recipe is unfortunately more on the embarrassing side than I prefer

What is it that you would like to achieve with the power weapons?

Just a better overall look. I think I need more of a thinned white base to get small sections of the blue to "glow" but I haven't figured out the technique yet.

My storm shields with runes look real bad when I try

The tubing. Where the models chin is, there is a piece of tubing just below the faceplate, it is the ridged section. You can see it in the picture,

I circled it with yellow

As fir eyesight, I totally get you. I am lost without my magnifying glasses. I use somehting like these.

For me they are absolutely invaluable, and they go over my glasses a treat. I am long sighted so close up work is an absolute ball-ache for me.
If you cant do minute detai you did well to pick the ring out.

Ya I got this off Amazon...gives me 3.5 magnification but now I see how unsteady my hands are for fine detail work

med_gallery_49686_13890_148794.jpg

I can see the tiny details much better at least

Pin wash is when you use a dilute paint or wash and apply it to the recess areas of the model, the idea is that the paint is drawn off the brush and sits in the recesses, giving you a nice shadow line. Great for making armour plates stand out from one another.
I hope to pin wash my models tonight, so I will do a before and after shot if I remember.
The dirty red on the dread is exactly the same as I did my reds on all my older models. Khorne red base, wash with drakenhof nightshade, let it dry 1 very thin layer of khorne red lead=ving blue in the shadows, another thin coat near the edge and fianl edge highlight with mephiston or evil sunz scarlet. If it looks out of whack a glaze of blood letter usually helps blend it all together, but carroburg might work in a pinch.
For your axe handles, I thought you had already done a wash, like you had for the wolf? If not I would recommend using agrax. Black wash for me just kills colour, infact I almost never use it. Except when doing black armour.
I do all my models grey, use exact same recipe and technique, then for the black armour on a wolf priest, a few coats of nuln or vallejo black wash and you get a nice highlighted black.
Not sure if this covers everyhing

I will have to try that out next time I paint.

My painting motivation is currently at 0

I finally got involved in the online 40k leagues and am happy to play competitively again

I can squeeze in 1 to 2 games a week with my current schedule

Currently sitting at 0-2 but I am learning the nuances and changes required for 9th edition as I go

So another new experience for me to report on.

I had never purchased a box set with the intention to sell off the models.

When indomitus came out everyone said it was amazing value and I had to agree I could theoretically sell off a ton of the units I don't need.

I was able to swap my necrons for marines so I got double every marine model as my box

I started listing my extras last week on ebay and I have already sold $160 worth

-3 outriders

-chaplain + ancient

-20 assault intercessors

If I can unload both sets of captain and lieutenants I may actually make a profit while snagging all of the following

-6 eradicators

-6 bladeguard

-3 outriders

-chaplain + ancient

Is the indomitus resale a normal return on investment for big 40k boxes or was indomitus just THAT great of a deal and not likely to be repeated?

Now that I setup my ebay account and figured out shipping etc. this seems like an easy thing to do in the future

Operation Indomitus has been a smashing success!!!

med_gallery_49686_13920_45415.jpg

Basically got free toys woo hoo...and I still have surplus I can sell off

Side benefit...pile of shame is greatly reduced!

When I told my wife my plan to sell off the models she teased me and asked if I was saving money by spending money

When she saw the plan worked she asked if I was starting a side job as a toy prospector

I don't see myself becoming an online retailer in the future but now that I know how easy this is I may sell off additional items

Hey, you did well with the indomitus stuff, it's fairly common to do what you have done with the boxed sets and you will see marine half or chaos half of the boxed set for sale al the time, usually for just over half what the boxed set cost. Otherwise folks sell the units individually for potentially more profit.

The power weapons, do a black, big highlight of grey then edge highlight with white, then contrast with aethermatic blue, or a very very thin coat of blue.. Go back over the edges with white again.

Otherwise, black, leadbelcher, then silver, thin wash blue and then edge highlight stormhost silver.

If you want a frosty, shimmery look look, I highly suggest and recommend buying vallejo metallic medium.

For the runes in storm shields, thin your paint right down and then put it into the grooves of the runes. Capillary action will draw the paint out and fill the runes for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQZPRzQQqIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvuIDoMNqcQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItBpXd6guAs

Third one for a little more advanced work.

Those glasses look great, I wold have ordered them but not sure if they would work over the top of my glasses.

I hereby vow I shall make no more 40k model purchases until I assemble or trade away what I have!!!

My pile of shame vow is almost completed. I took the ebay path to victory and only have 2 units remaining to build

-3xaggressors

-haldor ice pelt conversion to ragnar

These were part of a primaris start collecting box.

I sold the 10 intercessors on ebay...was shocked because they sold for more than the 10 man assault intercessors.

When I complete those projects I am going to buy ulrik and a kromlech scorpius battery bit as my celebration. I traded for a rhino chassis and will have a custom scorpius when all is said and done.

One of my friends got me listening to pod casts about MACV SOG during Vietnam and it gave me some inspiration.

His great uncle was a green beret and my uncle was a marine fighter pilot who was lost trying to help the ground forces escape a shau in 66 when it was overrun.

Was interesting for us because our family stories intertwined with the subject matter of the podcast.

Anyways...long story short...I'm considering playing with a very different style of list.

2 stormfang gunships and a scorpius provide fire support for a small elite ground team.

No more terminators though...

Took it out for a spin against a death guard list that usually beats the hell out of me and I managed to get my 1st win against them.

Edited by TiguriusX

Glad to hear the sales have gone well Tigurius and that you have held on to the stuff you most wanted from the box(es?)! Toy prospector indeed. :lol:

Very interesting on the family story and cool concept for the army to be based around. Looking forward to seeing more of it as you finish it off!