Digital wolf stepping through the warp onto the TT

TiguriusX

A bit late to the party on this, but I have a few battlefoam cases and I love their stuff. But I may be a bit partial as they are local for me and I work literally 300 feet from their front door lol. I haven't got their cases for my wolves yet but that is in the plan for sure.

I am curious to hear how you like the kr backpack over tome though. As I have not tried their stuff.

Edit cuz phones are mean

I'm still a newbie at the hobby side.  I prefer wargaming and am making an army so I can participate in a different environment and try my hand at tournaments.  When I started in November I hated the hell out of painting and building models.  It is slowly growing on me and I like the guys I have made.

Long story short...I don't "plan" on having a massive collection (4k points and up) so the modular KR option works for me right now.  The 1-box I bought holds 1 KRM unit of models.  I did the math and planning and my current 2k space wolf army plus room for extras fit.  If I go bigger I have 1 more KRM unit of storage available to me using the backpack if I buy another box + foam.  

After that I will take a serious look at the BF system because they definitely give more bang for the buck (the numbers are still in my head from all the research).  Technically I can continue adding KR cardboard boxes + foam as well and just stack them in my home if I really like the product.

Basically I have options =)

And I will definitely be giving my feedback and opinion on things for those who are curious.  My initial research tells me KR uses softer foam and relies on the cardboard box for structural integrity.  The backpack is waterproof etc. so I can take the entire 3 part system (foam...box...bag) from point A to Point B.  The hardest part of KR is designing what you want in your box.  There is a limitation due to their system but things are close enough to what is provided by BF.  You just need to think it through much more when ordering (which is the biggest complaint I have found about them).

Edited by TiguriusX

• 2 weeks later...

Minor update

I was still testing whether it was better to assemble then paint the entire model or paint in pieces then assemble after

I have had enough glue issues with painted pieces to convince me to paint AFTER.

I am not going for pro paint so if I don't paint something that I can't see or is extremely hard to reach then meh...it isn't getting painted and I don't care

med_gallery_49686_13890_72282.jpg

These are the last separate pieces I had laying around. This is them prepped for a quick uniform grey priming. They will go with some pre-existing legs that I have already painted and form my GH (or BC if I need because I used pistols).

I think I will continue to leave off the heads in the future but everything else is getting assembled. At most I will use blue tack to assemble the torso and legs for priming before separating again.

Speaking of priming this still cracks me up

med_gallery_49686_13890_86763.jpg

Axe/shield has been primed (you can see his base is sprayed)

Bjorn is WIP and not primed.

Color is so close hahaha...maybe it is just me but I think it is funny.

Last bit of news is there will be an escalation league starting at my FLGS Monday. I think this is the perfect way for me to ease into playing people in person (still haven't done that).

The tricky part is it will be a weekly league and not monthly. The good news is they won't require painted models...just assembled. I think I can keep pace with that.

First game is 500 points using a Patrol Detachment.

I initially debated bringing Bjorn right out of the gate but I think he soaks up too many points and my remaining army will be too weak.

I'm currently considering this as my patrol starting force. Flexibility to grow and play objectives.

HQ

-WGBL with jump pack, thunder hammer + storm shield

Troops

-GH

1 GH with 6 members total

3 basic GHs

GH with plasma

GHPL with a power sword

TDAWG with combi-plasma and storm shield

Fast Attack

-Cyberwolf

-Cyberwolf

Heavy

-1 LF pack

LFPL

4 Plasma cannons

TDAWG with cyclone missile launcher, storm bolter and storm shield

As a curve ball I can place LF on the hunt and drop down with my WGBL

The GHs and wolves get the fun job of being bait and running for objectives if they live

Got a ton of deliveries today.

I now have 13 space marine bikes for potential future upgrades. I was always awed by Littlbitz and his bike reports years ago. Couldn't resist an awesome deal on ebay ($6/bike)

In addition to the bikes I got my KR bag and foam

Perfect timing because my escalation league started tonight (more on that later)

Separate thread for the escalation league experience

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/344158-my-escalation-league-experience/

For those who were curious about KR v battlefoam here are some pics

med_gallery_49686_13890_124540.jpg

This is a KR Backpack2. Normal looking backpack basically. The box is the standard KRM unit. The backpack holds 2 of those. The foam is soft.

1 KRM box holds over 2k points of my SW army (no big vees or flyers). The backpack comfortably held my BRB and SW index when I went out today. Dice and rulers etc. Worked out just as I planned.

med_gallery_49686_13890_38931.jpg

This is the dreadnought and bike trays (SM7 and SM8) loaded with figures. I hated researching and seeing nothing in the slots to imagine how my models might fit. So I am going to try and fill every shot with an actual model.

The dreads can stand or lay on their back. Tons of space above the bikes. This particular tray takes up 2/3 of the box height and is approx. 70mm deep

med_gallery_49686_13890_424065.jpg

This is tray SM58. It goes on top of the dreads and is 1/3 of the total box depth (32mm deep)

Perfect for basic troops on 32mm bases with no dynamic poses

med_gallery_49686_13890_262982.jpg

You only see the parts b/c I took it at an angle to give an idea of fit

med_gallery_49686_13890_60821.jpg

This is tray SM47 (large units like dynamic terminators or HQs)

It takes up 1/2 of the depth and is approx. 51mm deep

med_gallery_49686_13890_188467.jpg

Side view to show nothing sticks out. Plenty of space

med_gallery_49686_13890_180485.jpg

Same tray with even bigger models inserted.

Terminator with cyclone missile attached as well as a dynamic pose with wolf claws

med_gallery_49686_13890_177594.jpg

Only able to see parts b/c the angle of the shot. They are comfortable inside foam safe zone.

med_gallery_49686_13890_360302.jpg

This is tray SM62. It is also 1/2 and sits on top of the SM47 tray

Comfortably fits my long fangs and long lascannon barrels. Models can stand or go prone

med_gallery_49686_13890_12044.jpg

You can barely see the tip of a lascannon even with the angle.

Final verdict. Quite nice. Everything fits as I planned it out a while ago with 1 minor correction.

I accidentally ordered SM4 (a bike tray but only 1/2 height). I should have ordered SM8 b/c it has to match the height of the dreadnoughts SM7 tray. It was caught on the KR side and shipped properly.

I only mention this because there is a lot of confusion on how you order and plan. The quality check appears to be just fine on their end.

If anyone has specific questions about it just let me know. I know I was asking a ton and sending private messages before I purchased. I am totally fine returning the favor.

Edited by TiguriusX

Need some feedback before I replace tack with glue

I'm building a wolf guard jump pack squad with combi-plasma and storm shields.

I'm liking the idea of the fur cloaks indicating their elevated status.

However, I am questioning if it is stupid to have a flammable cloak so close to the jump pack...does the rule of cool make it ok?

Any and all comments/criticism are encouraged to help my decision

med_gallery_49686_13890_200519.jpg

med_gallery_49686_13890_8539.jpg

Edited by TiguriusX

Need some feedback before I replace tack with glue

I'm building a wolf guard jump pack squad with combi-plasma and storm shields.

I'm liking the idea of the fur cloaks indicating their elevated status.

However, I am questioning if it is stupid to have a flammable cloak so close to the jump pack...does the rule of cool make it ok?

Any and all comments/criticism are encouraged to help my decision

med_gallery_49686_13890_200519.jpg

med_gallery_49686_13890_8539.jpg

I think that rule of cool and a simple explanation can make this work for you. Given that they are in the 40th Millennium with power armored super soldiers running around fighting demons I think it would be safe to say that a clear flame retardant spray has been invented (most likely specifically for the Space Wolves) that means our amazing furs will not catch fire if we use a flamer, jump pack, or run through a flaming wreck to smash some heretics in the face. For me that would justify a seasoned veteran strapping on his jump pack with no fear his awesome cloak will light into flames as soon as he activates it. Also, I think it would be unlikely that the exhaust for the jump pack would be producing a flame. I think that combustion would happen inside the bulk of the pack and those vents are used to focus the propulsion from that combustion to achieve lift.

This is just my opinion and reasoning so I would love to hear the thoughts of other people in the forum on this.

Edited by The Saint Ragnar

Tig how are you finding the KR carry cases? I’m looking to get one or two, storage aswell as transport, I have no room to build any new minis until I have these safely put away.

So it’s either these KR kits or Games Workshops own cases

KR case is exactly what I had hoped it would be so far.  Every model I have currently built or plan for my 2k army will fit except for my massive biker supply.  I picked up 13 bikes on ebay b/c they were too good a deal to pass up at like $6 a bike.  The original 2k list I planned only needs 6 of them so I bought a 6 slot biker foam tray at that time.  However, I still have an entire KRM case I can fit in the backpack so plenty of space to grow beyond my 2k collection if needed.

I don't have anything else to compare it to so I can't give a comparison based on personal experience.

I did research the hell out of the industry though so if you have specific questions let me know.

My quick tips for using KR as your choice

-If you need to go for the "cheap" choice just get a KRM box (i.e., the standard sized cardboard) filled with foam for approx. $62 before shipping and it easily fits a typical 2k army (vehicles are large and change this advice).  Just keep the KRM box out of the rain using your own bags and it is a solid "cheap" option to start with that gives you options to add on.  The only cheaper option I'm aware of is to make your own foam/box but that is a completely separate topic (people have youtube videos up if you want to go that route).

The hardest part is planning out what specific foam trays you need.  The tray options are hard to walk through at first (I still made a mistake after all my research).  I don't mind walking you through that if you need (it is the reason I posted specific model trays and what I plan to put in them in my original post).  However, I'd suggest emailing them directly and telling them your actual model/storage needs.  They will gladly do the planning work for you.  

If I can suspend disbelief for other items in 40K then gosh darnit we can keep the capes!

Game on!

These are maglocked into position during descent of course and treated with heat resistant materials just in case!

The iron priests learned their lessons well after poor Einar had his accident...

e1860fdab44d86c209a8c58ebbb64dd5.jpg

Edited by TiguriusX

Painting has come to a complete stop

The little time I have has been spent assembling models

My Blood Angel friend got his ebay shipment of 5 furioso dreads ($80 total) and I told him I'd take one and convert it

med_gallery_49686_13890_148632.jpg

After watching Bjorn in all his glory last week I am going all in and adding his friends to my escalation force this week. By removing my WGBL I easily have enough points

Say hello to Bjorn and his guard

med_gallery_49686_13890_69932.jpg

Taking the existing arm with the heavy flamer saved me the time of building one for Bjorn.

med_gallery_49686_13890_95699.jpg

I will need to do some green stuff to make the new dread fit in (the marine pilot and front piece are not a perfect fit and need to be closed in).

But that can wait for now. These units are legal for the next escalation match and that is all I have time for right now.

I believe my new dread fell in battle assisting a blood angel force and they recognized his heroic deeds and thanked us with his dreadnought.

Edited by TiguriusX

Used the holiday to finish up another side project

The wolf guard with jump packs (and capes!) are assembled

med_gallery_49686_13890_144774.jpg

I am discovering my love of magnets has faded. I am only doing the pack leaders with magnets now. If rules make combi-plasma bad I'll just rip off the arm. I've done it enough now to know it is feasible. The worst glue removal accident so far was bending the plastic on the blood angel furioso dread when I removed the arms. I was able to repair though so no harm no foul.

My current problem is I don't have enough arms to mount custom hand weapons. I got a batch of combi-flamers and combi-plasma from shapeways. I love how they look.

I simply don't have enough arms to mount them. I have become a sick and twisted surgeon removing perfectly good hands from bolter or plasma pistol bits. I feel bad...

med_gallery_49686_13890_102323.jpg

med_gallery_49686_13890_290236.jpg

Was able to squeeze in some assembly time this morning. This is my test model for bikers

My fire guard

WG Bike with combi-flamer (shapeways drum fed combi-flamer model) and storm shield

Dedicated horde clearing unit. The "trick" they can pull is a 20" redeployment using turbo-boost while still auto hitting with 5 flamers. Gives a nice 28" threat range for soft targets or rapid response if infantry successfully drop in my back lines and need to be cleared

• 1 month later...

Dropped assembly to play in the escalation league. Finished the league 5-2

Decided to stop playing for April and get back to hobby side (if I want to attend BAO I need to paint everything...)

Dove into assembly today to distract my mind and heart from the young wolf.

med_gallery_49686_13890_103030.jpg

My assassin force. The fleshmakers take the most promising shield maidens

Had to hunt around to find what I wanted but eventually I spotted it on ebay

-Callidus (bought it already painted off Ebay)

-Eversor (primed today)

-Cullexis (primed today)

And my latest addition to the dread force. Looking forward to field testing it

med_gallery_49686_13890_25965.jpg

Leviathan with dual storm cannon arrays

Really tempted to name it something with a B right now...

Sweet leviathan! I haven’t kept up here but yea that Njal looks like an arjac I’ve had for over 2 years. I just can’t....

Don't take him out of the resin, he'll never look the same again! 

Interesting custom weapons! Looking forward to seeing more. 

Yes! The Levithan marches in the exact loadout I am thinking of! Please let us know when you try it out!

I got lucky and found a metal version of TDA Njal as I had seen the nightmares of "Fine" Cast. Cost a little more but was worth it in the end.

• 3 weeks later...

Prepping for a team tournament

I get 1K worth of forces and will post about it here

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/346697-team-tournament-1k-may-prep/

I finally got to test drive the leviathan and he had a ton of fun and was definitely the magnet I expected him to be

Been busy with life and work. No hobby stuff really.

I have jumped into my first ever ETL vow with the following

I TiguriusX pledge my eternal fealty to the Rout, rising to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX by completing:

My mighty warlord Bjorn with his twin lascannon

Shield dread bodyguard known as Big E

Relic Leviathan (3 hunter killer missiles, dual heavy flamers and dual storm cannon arrays) known as FireBrand

gallery_49686_14551_190107.jpg

*I put a wash on the shield dread in addition to the base. Hopefully that doesn't disqualify (helps me distinguish who I based and didn't since my gray is nearly identical to base plastic

*Bjorn's left arm is a conversion that will be entirely repainted

These dreads should be worth the following points

Total: 754

Wolf guard on bikes

4xStorm shield and combi-flamer

Pack leader with combi-flamer and magnetized arm for melee weapon TBD (will paint a TH for max points I guess)

gallery_49686_14551_86400.jpg

Should be 271 points for the pack

gallery_49686_14551_122649.jpg

Not sure if assassins are legal

These are an eversor and cullexus taken from the ranks of my shield maidens and turned over to the flesh makers

153 without assassins

308 including assassins

Total points in this vow (pending assassins legality)

1178 (1333 if assassins permitted)

The pics let me show off my latest update though. I got 2 FLG mats a 4x4 and a 6x4

I think the pics look much better with some snowy background. My new phone probably helps in that department as well...

Edited by TiguriusX

I may have a slight shapeways addiction I need to get under control...also I picked up a 2nd Cullexus assassin model

gallery_49686_13890_294630.jpg

Storm bolters for my WG Bikers (originally planned combi-flamers but SB save me a ton of points)

Great wolf icon breacher shields (I love my deathwatch shield style and figured I will go all in for the wolf style one)

Iron priest bits (I use dreads and keep telling myself I will make/use one but haven't actually done so)

Finally I really like the grim skull model. It is a female body and fits my shield maiden strike force of assassins I am building up.

My to do pile keeps growing and I have made 0 progress in my hobby lately (partly due to battletech dropping last week as well)

Need to focus and get projects moving for the tag team tournament this weekend and the upcoming BAO

Will try and use the ETL as motivation

Edited by TiguriusX

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely have a 40K addiction

I just bought a 2nd leviathan and some extra arms (will have 2 leviathans and 2 each of storm cannon/siege claws/grav flux)

I was brain storming some dread heavy lists and posted this rough draft in the army section

Have been fiddling with variants of the list since then and feel I can whip something fun and semi competitive up using it

Speaking of competitive I completed the May tournament

Only 3 teams showed up so we ended up doing individual games instead

I posted my batreps here:

I ended up going 2W 1L and took 3rd place overall

Not too shabby for my first ever tournament if I say so myself

I had some dumbass mistakes as well as brilliant maneuvers

I am particularly proud of (1) bringing my LF in from reserve to block a dark eldar flyer's only legal move and auto kill it; and (2) using a culexus to dodge and weave around terrain so I could lock up some Kastellan Robots leaving Bjorn to charge directly in with no risk

Unfortunately at the end of the day I also realized how time consuming it is.  The tournament I attended was casual with no paint requirements.  However, the BAO I am hoping to attend is a little more strict.

My personal goal was to start painting and have some units completed for this May tournament but i couldn't even manage that (my wife recently started a new job requiring commuting and I have done the kid activities and had to shift my work hours around....time is a tight commodity right now).

So today I made the official decision to withdraw from BAO and pass my ticket to another member of my LFG (tickets are sold out and there is a long waiting list I am told).

I have also had to withdraw from the weekly league.  I will try to get 1 day a month of full gaming in if time permits but hobby time has been severely curtailed due to life.

Back to hibernation for me.  Hope to make the most of my saturday morning leisure time and complete my ETL vows

Well done in the tournament. Those outflanking Long Famgs are really working for you.

Having done loads of hobbying and then coming to a complete full stop due to RL (two young kids) myself I can tell you the mini’s will wait for you. It’s actually the reason I started going on the forums. I still need my fix even if I can’t get much painting done right now. Hopefully your buying will slow down to match your ability to use the stuff you buy.

gallery_49686_14551_213823.jpg

I haven't done any painting in a long time and it shows.

I am rusty and forgot some basics and made mistakes.

First off I wanted to comment on the plastic droppers you see. I was hoping to get more fine tuning and control over my painting and wanted the droppers to mix specific ratios. It was an absolute failure. I sucked paint up into the dropper and it stayed there. Basically painted my plastic dropper.

I will instead use them to control water drops as I thin my paint. Speaking of...I over thinned my paint in an attempt to remove it from the painted dropper. I sucked up water then squirted it back out. That watery mess is the result. Not very useful for anything. Almost like I turned my base mechanicus grey into a wash.

Anyways after all that I was able to move forward and put a coat of grey on. I wanted to go darker on my dreadnaughts so I have a pot of mechanicus grey. I have to be honest...I think I may like it more than my dawnstone. It is darker but not so dark it obscures details (the problem I had with eshin grey). I am very tempted to switch from dawnstone to mechanicus as my primary armor color for everyone.

Anyways as for the leviathan itself this thing drinks paint. I haven't made much progress in my limited time this morning. Have a first coat on most of the armor panels and will move forward hopefully tonight when I finish catching up at work.

The key is I put paint to plastic...baby steps!!

Get yourself some 1 ml syringes, they work much better and can give you a good idea for paint ratios.

And standard mech grey is my go to colour, so I am biased, but it is a good colour to work from. I'd suggest after priming back, use the eshin greya as a base coat.... While super dark, it is not as extreme as the black

I know I'm the crap painter in the group but I figure average joe schmoe work needs to be shown as well

Got some red and leadbelcher detail work done today

Did a freehand and put the GC symbol on as well

med_gallery_49686_14551_32139.jpg

med_gallery_49686_14551_324972.jpg

Need the fine detail work near the cockpit still and then maybe some edge highlighting to break up lines

Free time is over for the weekend. Slow but steady progress