Digital wolf stepping through the warp onto the TT

TiguriusX

med_gallery_49686_13890_300765.jpg

My LED kit finally came.

I got my old wire strippers out and tested the LEDs

Step 2 is the hard part....drilling

gallery_49686_13890_236984.jpg

I have the direct line from the rear of the head but I need to drill secondary paths from the actual eye slits to connect the light path

Will be fun trying to hit a target with drilling. Never tried it before

Unfortunately I learned don't have a large enough drill bit for the LED

med_gallery_49686_13890_105320.jpg

My temporary fix is to simply insert it in the rear and let the light go down the path I drilled

Next up is drilling the path for the wires into the interior. That has to wait for another day though...free time is over

*EDIT*

LOL so my wife and I were talking about my problem just now.

She asked why I wasn't using my "regular' tools (I was limiting myself to the small hobby tools I bought)

Thanks babe!

Grabbed a giant bit and it actually fit in my hand tool

med_gallery_49686_13890_84845.jpg

Proper sized hole is now drilled!

med_gallery_49686_13890_57128.jpg

Next decision is 1 hole and LED per eye?

Or do I use 1 LED and just make a light path now

hmmm

Edited by TiguriusX

med_gallery_49686_13890_188666.jpgmed_gallery_49686_13890_77956.jpg

Today was damage control day

When I drilled the matching hole on the left side it cracked and I lost the rear left portion of the wolf head (compare/contrast with right side)

med_gallery_49686_13890_295906.jpg

med_gallery_49686_13890_188168.jpg

I put a generic layer of green stuff on (haven't done green stuff in ages but I did remember I need water!!!)

I made sure the hole was big enough for the LED and am letting it cure tonight

If all goes well I will spray primer on it next and test how the light looks

med_gallery_49686_13890_20023.jpg

Bought a can of mechanicus standard grey primer ($19.99 bleh)

Assembled a squad of 5 GHs (I have a ton of heads already primed black they go on after painting)

This gives me 3x5 so I can form my battalion under the new codex

I also primed the knight wolf head

med_gallery_49686_13890_135374.jpg

med_gallery_49686_13890_227338.jpg

The LED looks much better with the painted head

Next step is routing wires in the body of the knight (probably a weekend project)

med_gallery_49686_13890_114604.jpg

The hole for a wire is cut out. But I ran into a few problems.

-I can have a hidden hole and run 1 LED through it or cut a massive hole for 2 LEDs. I am leaving a single hole only for now.

-I magnetized the head so it can swivel but the wires are stiff and basically lock the head into position. The funny thing is I have 2 different holes drilled so I can swap holes and rotate the head if I want but the greenstuff repair side is better off hidden

med_gallery_49686_13890_113268.jpg

med_gallery_49686_13890_128033.jpg

Anyways here is the assembled head with a single LED. Glow is just fine (maybe over glow but I figure paint will reduce it as I add layers)

I like it. I was terrified of doing this project and thought I would break my expensive model but so far so good. I am glad I pushed myself.

Next step is figuring how I want to mount the battery case and switch. The plan is to have it internally mounted so I can remove the large hatch and flip the switch.

Lets see if reality matches my plan...

Edited by TiguriusX

• 3 weeks later...

Dipping my toe in the terrain field now

I picked up some printed paper terrain from Infinity

https://store.corvusbelli.com/products/scenery_packs/285059-kurage-station-scenery-pack

I read it works for 40K and kill team so I said why not

Here are some shots with various sizes of models I have from tiny power armor all the way up to a knight-gallant

med_gallery_49686_14928_295757.jpg

med_gallery_49686_14928_175842.jpg

gallery_49686_14928_274979.jpg

med_gallery_49686_14928_90155.jpg

gallery_49686_14928_88215.jpg

I think I will be able to use it. It isn't the highest quality but it works and was cheap.

Game on!

Looks great and thanks for the link..

If you want something a bit more substantial but not pay GW prices, I would recommend MDF terrain

There are loads of companies out there

This cost me about £40 or so.

28861321508_83d72bda9f_c.jpgthumbnail (77) by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...

I went a little bit crazy since I last reported in

I dove in to KT and am 3-1 in my FLGS for the official GW campaign

Playing made me realize I need reinforcements

med_gallery_49686_13890_16659.jpg

I picked up the Fangs of Ulfrich and a box of 10 intercessors as well

I will probably never use Reivers in 40k but they are nice filler in my KT squad

med_gallery_49686_13890_242744.jpg

The intercessors are DREAMY...I love the models and enjoyed assembling them. GW blew it big time trying to write in primaris fluff. I would have voluntarily replaced all my old power armor models over time if I could get similar war gear (chain swords...power weapons etc.)

I have a BA friend so I got him some free primaris upgrade bits for the same price as a regular box

I have to agree with others who say the lack of a Space Wolf intercessor box is BS

med_gallery_49686_13890_239747.jpg

After theory crafting my airwolf list I eventually said what the hell and decided to put my money where my mouth is

Picked up 5 wulfen (waiting to decide if I need 5 more). I don't like the default pack leader so made an alternative model who isn't jumping like a clown

Also ordered my 2 stormwolf flyers earlier this week

med_gallery_49686_13890_24311.jpg

I ALSO acted on an overstock sale at my FLGS and picked up a box of assault marines for $20

I needed a few more bodies for my planned battalions (need troops!) and extra jump packs are handy to have

These running legs are kinda cool. Plan on using 2 of them for a wolf lord and WGBL model

And with this huge growing collection of models I am overflowing my hobby space in the house...

Picked up 3 more KR multicase boxes to store all these things nicely

1 box dedicated to my knights (holds a gallant + 2 armigers)

1 box dedicated to my flyers (holds 2 stormwolf models and I can squeeze in some basic infantry)

1 box dedicated to an armor variant that holds 3 dreads 2 leviathans and 4 razorbacks (the nerfing of bikes makes my dread+bike foam layout not as useful anymore)

Xmas come early woo hoo (I busted my ass to make FY end goals at work and honestly just felt like rewarding myself)

Assembling is definitely my favorite part....painting not so much

I am waaaay behind on scheduled painting now. Although I did process a batch of heads and painted around 15 or so (I blue tacked a few of them on those new assault marines)

Thus ends your B&C 2018 outage update

Assembly and painting in my near future

Trigrus X just to let you know

Shappeways is stealing models from Thingiverse and making money without autorization from the designers.

The wolf head you ordered is one example :/

what is your support for the allegation?

The guy who makes the wolf variants i have (comradequiche) had a blog about his designs and how he came up with them. i doubt he stole them from someone else.

For example....as far back as 2015 (before new knights exploded in the meta) it was public knowledge and he was the designer behind it

Spikeybits article on the "iron werewolf" as he calls it

Edited by TiguriusX

Those designs I see from imperial workshop appear to have nothing to do with the wolf knight parts I have.  There is probably more reading I could do but honestly I'm not doing a research project to try and figure out what you are telling me.

Please give me a direct link if you have it.

I understand concern about this (I'm a patent attorney I live in the intellectual property world) but I don't think the blanket accusation for all of shapeways is appropriate.  That is like saying YouTube is ripping people off because an individual uploads something that was copyrighted. 

As I said above, the guy who made the wolf knight parts appears legitimate to me and has been in it a long time.

I got mine from a designer named comradequiche

This is his shop

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/gadgetsplus

The last of my B&C blackout items have arrived

Double flyers

med_gallery_49686_13890_270733.jpg

KR boxes

med_gallery_49686_13890_153482.jpg

med_gallery_49686_13890_207436.jpg

I am becoming a 40K hoarder...

I will admit the boxes help tidy up the models I have (they were spilling out of my hobby area onto the dining table recently)

Think I need to undertake a vow of no more spending...

I will ask for the missing razorbacks as Xmas gifts instead muwahaha

Seriously though I started this hobby almost exactly 1 year ago (post #1 is from Nov 2nd, 2017)

I originally intended to dip my toe in the water and have fun

I have definitely been hooked by the hobby and enjoyed my time. I love building far more than painting but I do take pride in the progress I have made.

Now to focus on building/painting what I have!

• 2 months later...

I failed my oath to myself....

I still haven't modeled or glued or painted since the last update

But I did just buy 2 boxes of Aggressors because my FLG was having a clearance sale

Total addict....no questions asked

I just learned about and watched Helsreach

It is a badass animation of Grimauldus at the 3rd war of armageddon

This is some quality work....can't believe I never knew about it before today

Anyways my favorite Astartes dialog happens at this link hahahaha

https://youtu.be/SUplioG2DC4?t=4242

TechMarine-"This is a magnetic field stabilizer housing"

IG-"What does it do?"
TechMarine-"It houses the stabilizers for the magnetic field generator"

IG- ... Eyeroll

Just very factual interaction between an astartes and a curious IG but it made me laugh

Are you following some tutorial on how magnetize it?

I've 2 of them but still boxeds

I've been looking at Brother Wulfebane's post from 2014 as general guidance

However I have to admit the kit is fairly straight forward.  The stormwolf nose piece actually sits nicely on top of the frost cannon...if you wanted to do it lazy style just put that on top and you don't have to magnetize anything.  It covers 90% of the frost cannon unless you are facing a stickler it should be fine.

The part I need to worry about is the cockpit.  There are some small pieces that won't be easy to add/remove to swap between versions.  I haven't decided how to address that yet.

I also prefer the tail fin of the stormwolf and glued it permanently in place