Digital wolf stepping through the warp onto the TT

TiguriusX

My first flyer is done.

Zero magnets used.

I am just using snug fit and letting it sit on the model. I don't expect it to be moving so much that the pieces falling off become an issue

med_gallery_49686_13890_12362.jpg

I glued the stormfang gun in place permanently as well as the front door piece

The top pieces are loose

med_gallery_49686_13890_223066.jpg

To transform into stormwolf mode I put the nose piece on and the helfrost gun snug fits in the rear

med_gallery_49686_13890_95047.jpg

Here are the loose pieces I use

The only "awkward" piece is the shield glued to the nose piece to cover the helfrost cannon

I declare this model ready for games and hope to paint it eventually (lol ya right...)

Next up flyer #2!

• 4 weeks later...

gallery_49686_15224_176251.jpg

Started work on my Stygies battalion during the super bowl. I work slow...I know...

Annoyed to learn I only get 1 special sniper base and gun in the start collecting box. Will have to work around that.

Also...non astartes models feel tiny and fragile when assembling

I'm referring to these guys as my jawas. That is what they remind me of. They have the same role recovering/scavenging tech in my fluff story as well

I'm working on a new fluff background as part of this

Stygian Wolves.....battalion of stygies admech and battalion of space wolves with a desperate mission to find legendary xenos tech to help swing the war back in our favor after Cadia. The inquisition is against it but you know how we wolves feel about them.

Stygian has multiple meanings

Besides the simple reference to the AdMech forgeworld Stygies VIII it has other subtle meanings that tie in

Stygian implies dark and gloomy and forbidding (like say the feeling you get when an elite murder make unit of Fenrisians show up)

Stygian mythology also fits well with the Space Wolves beliefs in Morkai and the trials related to death. Some nice parallels with the river styx and ferryman etc.

Need to go even darker with my gray SW paint scheme!!

• 3 weeks later...

gallery_49686_15224_98123.jpg

The Rusty 19 scavenging jawa force has been assembled!

Don't look at the broken ladder rails on the close onager...

I can now begin my saga of the relic hunters

The saga of my rune knights has come to a close. I was able to attend every league game for the month of february and came in 2nd place overall at my FLG

I used my $30 in store credit to purchase an enginseer to assist my new admech forces

I plan to begin the saga of the relic hunting Stygian Wolves next

• 2 weeks later...

med_gallery_49686_13920_363780.jpg

Just got back from a trip and I used my KR backpack to carry everything

One of the selling points was the design fits under the seat of standard airlines so you never lose sight of your property

Thought people might like proof that yes...it fits. I was on American Airlines and the dimensions were fine.

I did NOT have a box of models inside....this was a work trip not a tournament travel trip...but I'm 100% confident a single box and clothes will fit just fine for a short weekend tournament

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I attended my first ever GT

I have put my knights and admech and other allies on the shelf and only compete as pure SW now (with a dash of assassin)

I went 2-3 and finished 24th place (43 people)

Won the award for best space wolf too.

I'm not sure if I should hide this b/c it is basically a participation trophy (only SW in the GT) or wear it proudly

med_gallery_49686_13920_599415.jpg

What does the pack think?

• 1 month later...

Diving into the contrast paint line to see what it is all about

med_gallery_49686_15551_5688.jpg

Will be testing my existing spray primers as well to see how it turns out

Army Painter Uniform Grey (similar to Dawnstone)

GW Mechanicus Standard Grey

Also got a pot of grey seer the actual recommended base color

The GHs will be the test subjects

med_gallery_49686_15551_11291.jpg

Edited by TiguriusX

Contrast paint is ... different

It was like painting with nuln oil

Here are the 3 different starting points I had

med_gallery_49686_15551_157125.jpg

And here is how they looked after a quick coat of basilicanum grey contrast

med_gallery_49686_15551_68314.jpg

*EDIT*

Here is a shot in the morning when dry (more ambient light changed overall image too sorry)

med_gallery_49686_15551_68917.jpg

The grey models dried very fast

I'm still sitting here a good 20 minutes later waiting for the grey seer test model to finish changing colors

It is NOT the same as traditional model painting. Use a generic cheap giant water color brush and just go wild. I drowned these test models in contrast and just let the paint do its thing

I think the best usage is going to be when it comes to Space Wolf bare heads. Will make that a quick and easy process

Edited by TiguriusX

I am terminating my experiments with contrast paints.

The water color style is definitely fast but requires too much skill to prevent blotching.

You have to use a thin coat and pull it so it doesn't pool up on larger flat surfaces (marine power armor has many of these)

Then after all that you need to let it dry....sometimes it felt like dry time was much longer than traditional paints.

I think the concept works for special items but not the MAIN model approach.

To fix my grey seer based model I did a 2nd coat and removed most of the blotchiness

med_gallery_49686_15551_34062.jpg

However, the time and effort to use contrast paints is not worth it to me. I developed a technique with the acrylics and it works much more efficiently for fixing mistakes and is consistent colors IMO

I think contrast is a niche product for me. Quick way to do heads (single coat after basing head in grey seer)

med_gallery_49686_15551_4588.jpg

Nice heads though. Which color went with grey seer for them?

base grey seer directly onto plastic

1 coat of guilliman flesh contrast

the best part is 0 skill needed for good looking heads. just slap it on and done. contrast paint is a winner for this item.

i have talassar blue i still need to test. I was told it makes awesome plasma and power weapons easy in a similar fashion to head flesh color

Finally got a talassar blue test and I'm happy

Single coat for the jump pack exhaust

I NEVER paint jump exhaust because I suck at layer and blending

Easy mode with this contrast paint

The power fist and fur are also contrast paints

med_gallery_49686_15551_147696.jpg

So I think my approach to painting will combine traditional and contrast

I like spray prime because it is quick and fast

I like regular paints for main color armor panels etc. because easy to fix and consistent look

I am liking this contrast paint for the tiny special detail items. I hate doing layer 1 then layer 2 then layer 3 of similar shades. Contrast paint is a short cut for this step I think I will take advantage of.

Faces

Fur

Glowing blue effects like plasma, power weapons, engine exhaust

I need to find a use for my basilicanum grey now though...I don't like it as primary armor paint

• 2 weeks later...

The Terminators' storm shields look great! Are they Wolf Guard members?

I'm actually going old school and have a 5 man unit of actual wolf guard terminators

They are supposed to clear chaff and then dig in tight to prevent shots at my character dreads

I spent the weekend updating my armory and magnetizing and putting bare colors on all my shields

I really love the large boarding shield style I got from shapeways. Wish I had more

med_gallery_49686_15551_137700.jpg