Blades of Damocles

Triszin

What the...? :ohmy.:

Wasn't Phils codex stuff ok until now? Why and how did he get past the editors with this?

He can't be serious, right?

It's standard Phill Kelly, both in WHFB and 40k. As for his codex stuff... Well. WOLF. He's the one responsible for SW wolf-silliness, a stigmata that will stay with the wolves till the end of times. I would hardly call his stuff "ok".

Ah ok. I see your point. Funnily enough, the Wolfy McWolfenson codex was my very first. ^^

Back then, I knew nearly nothing abou the setting. Today...well, there are way better written ones. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

This part was amazing though:

“Numitor stared down at the tau civilian. The creature was a weakling, almost despicable, but part of him had to concede it had a point. If the Space Marines were to kill the planet’s civilians as well as its military, the campaign on Dal’yth would soon grind to halt. Perhaps his energies were better spent elsewhere.

‘Many of our warrior caste dwell just beyond this chamber,’ the young female continued, ‘worthier opponents for a true knight, who values honour and skill. Would you instead choose to sully your hands with the blood of unarmed civilians?’

She brought a blocky pistol out from nowhere, whipping it towards Numitor’s head.

‘Yes,’ said Cato Sicarius, barrelling past his fellow sergeant to stamp the creature hard into the floor. Numitor heard its ribs break into flinders within its chest. Sicarius spat on its corpse, pushing onwards into the gloom.”

Excerpt From: Phil Kelly. “Blades of Damocles.” iBooks. 

Where exactly did the dislike for Cato Sicarius even come from, originally?

I blame TTS and people spreading false rumors like 'he held off an entire Ork Waaagh with a scout company with knives' which were obviously untrue.

Literally all of his achievements are par the course for a 2nd Company Captain from a 1st Founding Chapter.

That was my impression as well. He got the bling, he's highly decorated and proud, but he's hardly a Kaldor Draigo.

My first real exposure to Sicarius was in the Assault on Black Reach novella (which I believe will be reprinted for five bucks soon, like Crusade and Hammerhal) and he wasn't offensive in any way that I remember. I think he strapped on an assault pack at some point and seemed reasonably flexible on the Codex Astartes, without being a bleeding heart (for lack of a better term) like Uriel Ventris (who I didn't dislike either).

I still haven't managed to read Fall of Damocles, though. From the Phil Kelly stories I can see people getting a bad impression of every involved character though...