Ultramarine - 1500 ZM list

LukeTheButcher

Right, I need some help and guidance here. I am down to play in a ZM Tourni in Jan and I am effectively building a Force from scratch for me and my son to field. We've been told nothing too cheesy & no names characters. So with the sprues I have to hand (and probably the odd purchase), this is what I have come up with.

Legion - Ultramarines

170 - Legion Praetor + Volkite Serpenta + Paragon Blade + Iron Halo + Digital Lasers

135 - Legion Consul (Librarian) + Artificer Armour + Refractor Field + Level 2 Psychic Mastery Levels

200 - Contemptor Dreadnaught + Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon + Built in Heavy Flamer

222 - Legion Terminator Squad (Cataphractii) + 2x Powerfists + 2x Chainfists + Heavy Flamer + Serg Combi-melta

205 - Legion Veteran Squad + 5 Veterans + Sergeant Artificer Armour + Heavy Bolter + Plasma Gun

290 - Legion Breacher Squad  + Squad Melta Bombs + 2x Melta Guns + Sergeant Artificer Armour

135 - Legion Tactical Squad + Sergeant Artificer Armour

135 - Legion Tactical Squad + Sergeant Artificer Armour

Any amazing do's or don'ts. Nothing is made up as yet and I could probably stretch to some new bits if they are deemed vital.

Loyalists (as Defenders) vs Traitors (attackers). Any advice appreciated.

Luke

Right, so no feedback, hints or tips. Shame, but I continue onwards anyway.

I have made a few tweaks after reviewing ZM rules/Force Org and after chatting with my Son (basically it will be his army; we will tag team in this local Tourni as a way to get him involved and build up his confidence in gaming).

HQ

Legion Praetor (as above) - RoW - Zone Mortalis Assault

Legion Librarian (as above)

Elites

Contemptor (as above)

Terminators (as above)

Troops

Breacher Squad (as above)

tactical Squad (as above

Heavy Support

Legion Heavy Support Squad (new)

Fast Attack

Legion Seeker Squad + 5 Combi Plasma + Serg AA (New)

So dropped Vets and a Tactical for Seekers and Heavy Support Squad and brought in a different RoW. Hoping the Seekeers with Combi-Plasma and their templete special ammo (improved in ZM) can prove more useful then effectivly bare-bones Vets. The boy likes Heavy Bolters and 5 may put a wound or two on something.

Still very much a work in progress.

Looks good, I have a few thoughts:

Whilst I love Cataphractii pattern armour, I would suggest Tartarus Termies for ZM as they can run and sweep.,the trade off is the 5+ invun though.

I would consider bringing the Vets back, whilst they are BS 4 PA guys, they can be armed in multiple ways with Marsksmen or Weaponmaster vets being good. 

UM Breachers can take Power Swords for +5 pts each and that can extend to the whole squad.  Additionally an apothecary with your Breachers may be a good idea, especially with the RoW as they will be extremely hard to dislodge.

Have you considered Suzerain? 200 pts for 5 guys with 2+ saves and magic AP2 axes!

Also.... Melta Bombs everywhere!

Looks good, I have a few thoughts:

Whilst I love Cataphractii pattern armour, I would suggest Tartarus Termies for ZM as they can run and sweep.,the trade off is the 5+ invun though.

I would consider bringing the Vets back, whilst they are BS 4 PA guys, they can be armed in multiple ways with Marsksmen or Weaponmaster vets being good. 

UM Breachers can take Power Swords for +5 pts each and that can extend to the whole squad.  Additionally an apothecary with your Breachers may be a good idea, especially with the RoW as they will be extremely hard to dislodge.

Have you considered Suzerain? 200 pts for 5 guys with 2+ saves and magic AP2 axes!

Also.... Melta Bombs everywhere!

Thanks for the feedback! :-)

My real problem is that as this is Zone Mortalis, I only have two Elite slots, so the Terms & Contemptor got the green light ahead of the Vets. I hoped the Seekers would add the punch I lost from not having them. Also leaves an issue with Apothecaries.

If I went for a different RoW I get Terms and Vets as troops, so I could have the Contemptor/Apothecaries but not sure what I would drop out besides the Tac Squad. Kinda want to keep the Breachers as its thematic, but think the Powersword option is a bit of a waste on a non CC unit. Think its a lure to either waste points or try to shoe-horn them in to the wrong job.

Melta bombs a good call though :-)

With the Zone Mortalis Rite of War the Terminators become non-compulsory Troops... So you've got one Elite slot to play with. Also they can teleport in, so I'd stick with the Cataphractii armour as teleportation helps get around their lack of mobility and the 4++ is excellent.

Edited by Kizzdougs

How about something like:

1.5k Zone Mortalis Combatant list,

Ultramarines, Loyalist, Zone Mortalis Assault Force.

HQ

Praetor: 385pts.

Paragon blade, melta-bombs, digital lasers, iron halo.

Bodyguard: 5x Suzerain, 1x thunder hammer.

Elites

Contemptor Dreadnought: 200pts.

Kheres assault cannon, heavy flamer.

Veteran Tactical Squad: 225pts.

+5 Veterans, 2x flamers, melta-bombs, Marksmen.

Sergeant: artificer armour, power-axe.

Troops

Breachers: 245pts.

2x flamers.

Sergeant: artificer armour, power-fist.

Tactical Support Squad: 175pts.

Plasma guns.

Terminators: 230pts.

2x power-fists, 3x chain-fists, plasma-blaster.

That's 1,460pts so 40pts left to spend. The first thing that I'd suggest would be a Nuncio-vox on one or two units so that the Terminators can teleport accurately. The remaining points could be spent on some combi-weapons for the Veterans or Terminators, or even a couple of power weapons in the Veteran Squad to give them some extra combat punch. Artificer armour on the Support Squad Sergeant would be another good choice or a chain-fist on the Contemptor.

Edited by Kizzdougs

Thanks for the feedback and idea's Killdougs. Hadn't appreciated the Terms became troops, so that only is a big help :-)

As for the options, I'm trying to take them on board.

Effectivly, the Terms to a troop slot free's up an Elite space, but I'm torn between Vets or appothicaries (at least one to sit with the Breachers). 

If I go with the Appothicaries I have to free up less points, so I was lookign at drop my Tactical Squad for them and have some points for a command squad + some power weapons. But that is a scoring unit down, leaving me just Terms & Breachers. Is two scoring enough in ZM?

But looking at the Librarian, is it worth having Mastery Level 2 at these points? Thats a couple of extra power weapons worth of savings right there.... (Keen on keeping to dodge the double whammy of Ultramarines losing all their HQ's...).

So man yquestions... :-)

Thanks for the feedback and idea's Killdougs. Hadn't appreciated the Terms became troops, so that only is a big help :-)

Yeah, that's probably the best thing about the ZM Rite of War.

As for the options, I'm trying to take them on board.

Effectivly, the Terms to a troop slot free's up an Elite space, but I'm torn between Vets or appothicaries (at least one to sit with the Breachers). 

Personally I'd prefer the Veterans. More bodies are usually better than a Feel No Pain save, and the Veteran's damage output massively outclasses the Tacticals and Breachers (not to mention that they can Outflank which is excellent in ZM).

If I go with the Appothicaries I have to free up less points, so I was lookign at drop my Tactical Squad for them and have some points for a command squad + some power weapons. But that is a scoring unit down, leaving me just Terms & Breachers. Is two scoring enough in ZM? 

A 5 man Command Squad with power weapons is only 10pts cheaper than 5 Suzerain... The Suzerain massively outclass them with better rules and equipment, and are a scoring unit. 

The Seekers are a scoring unit too. So if you dropped a tactical Squad and took the Apothecary/ies and Command Squad you'd have 3 scoring units (Breachers, Terminators, and Seekers).

My list has 5 scoring units (Suzerain, Veterans, Breachers, Terminators, and Support Squad).

But looking at the Librarian, is it worth having Mastery Level 2 at these points? Thats a couple of extra power weapons worth of savings right there.... (Keen on keeping to dodge the double whammy of Ultramarines losing all their HQ's...).

The Librarian is pretty decent, but usually I prefer a Chaplain. A Chaplain could make the Breachers harder to shift (Fearless) or the Terminators deadlier (re-rolling hits in the first round of combat). Personally I'd prefer to spend the points on Veterans/Suzerain etc.

So man yquestions... :-)