Neophyte Training Opinions

Okay, I've been thinking about this for a while now, and with the range of opinions from those in this forum, I figured that this was the best place to pose this query.

I've been wanting to write a "fluff" piece focusing on recruitment, Chapter Keep training, and training alongside an Initiate for quite some time. I have done quite a bit of research into the matter, including seeing when the various implants are given and at what ages, which ones we are "Zygote Deficient" in, some standard and not-so-standard recruitment practices used by various Chapters, but not a lot of insight into the manner in which the recruit/Neophyte is trained once selected to be an Astartes. To keep it simple, the day-to-day physical, mental, and spiritual conditioning that all potential recruits go through.

I have a few thoughts on the matter, but I would also like to hear from my brothers on your opinions. Now, I would assume that it involves a metric ton of physical training, combat drills and tactics courses, religious indoctrination (given our lore recently), and psycho-conditioning.

If anyone here has anything they think would be specific, I would love to hear it.

The only book i know of (which doesn't say much, as i own very few black library books) that describes a neophytes transformation in detail is dawn of war by cs goto, and it is wonky as... Let's say the guy has a very loose relation to canon (i heartily recommend the 1d4cahn article on him :D).

There is also mention of meditations, and I think it may be overlooked, but, History, such as it is in the 41st, but never the less, the history of the Chapter (aside from Tactics), and knowing it by memory seems fitting. I imagine a DI shaking down a line of Neos with questions like, "Who is the third High Marshal of our Order, and name his tactical accomplisments".

Also those who are nominated as candidates for Techmarine status, before shipping off to Mars, will probably be spending a lot of time in the repair bays. 

I've always thought that the children that are being trained and given implants are basically going through a military bootcamp probably not too different from Imperial Guard, learning stuff like how to arm/disarm weapons, close combat drills, forced marches, firing drills, etc. All basic stuff to a Marine but an entry into the the mindset and then practices of proper Astartes training once they are given an Initiate to train them.

I've always thought that the children that are being trained and given implants are basically going through a military bootcamp probably not too different from Imperial Guard, learning stuff like how to arm/disarm weapons, close combat drills, forced marches, firing drills, etc. All basic stuff to a Marine but an entry into the the mindset and then practices of proper Astartes training once they are given an Initiate to train them.

That's a good point. Some Heresy novels do describe parts of the aspirant training. A Thousand Sons comes to mind, at one point Arihman describes part of the selection process he and his brother go through. Also in the first Dark ANgel one (Descent of Angels I think), there's some views of the main protagonist's early training.

Some good thoughts here.

I think one of the things to take into consideration would be the fact that the neophytes would experience all that comes with a "total immersion" into an Initiates way of life.

So, during the various stages, as the neophyte is growing, he'd very likely fill the role of a page from Medieval times, cleaning weapons, polishing armor, fetching ammo, semi-menial tasks, but important because it starts the process of making the neophyte aware of what he is a part of.

From there, assuming he survives the early stages, he would be given more important roles, his personality as a future warrior would begin to surface, though if you read "Praetorian of Dorn", Kye's personality is evident right from the beginning and in fact is one of the reasons he is selected.

You might want to touch on how painful the process is, both physically and mentally. When people first find out about SM, they want them because they're the best, completely unaware of the price you pay to be the best.

I think that would be an interesting area to explore.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cheers,

I also thought the Chapter Keep portion of training would look a lot like boot camp on steroids. Luckily, I have experience to draw from in that regard. I also know that it is there that the various implants are... well, implanted. The youtube video by Arch Warhammer also says that these are done without anesthetic. I'm not certain how feasible that really is, but an interesting piece of possible lore.

I like the idea of immersion into Chapter history during this timeframe, and being grilled on it constantly. I also assume that there are recruits that die either during the implant process or due to some training accident. I'm sure the mortality rate is quite high, with only a small percentage of recruits that actually make it to selection by an Initiate for formal training on the battlefield, almost similar to special forces selection for the various militaries around the globe. (Only 3-5% make it through) I also would like to explore a bit those that fail some portion of training and either get turned into a Serf or screw up so badly that they get turned into Servitors. 

I like the idea of trying to chronicle this transformation in depth, rather than just join a Space Marine's story in the middle of some battle. Please, keep ideas and thoughts coming.

I also assume that there are recruits that die either during the implant process or due to some training accident.

Yes, the mortality rate is quite high, I don't think it was one in a thousand, but it was up there (one in several hundred? I can check that if it's important).

Also, the no anesthesia thing...yeah that's real. Obviously they don't just slam in a black carapace, but in "Praetorian" they make it clear that enduring the unbearable pain of the rapid body growth, implants, and psycho-conditioning, is expected. That is where the candidate is to learn to deal with the life of pain that comes with service to the Emperor.

All that happens before "training" takes place.

Okay, I just got through the Damnation Crusade. Luckily, I was able to find most, if not all, of the series online (Thanks Cogitator Interlink System!). It gave me some ideas, but most of them are for much later in the storyline I'm considering (Actually, just past the halfway point as I'm thinking about it). 

I'm leaning heavily toward the idea of a child picked out for his survival sense and willingness to fight regardless of the odds during an Arbites action in an underhive setting. It seems to fit in my vision. I'm also thinking that several "candidates" are taken from the hive and force-marched to a planetside Chapter Keep as a way to weed out the weak of body and will.

Beyond that, I don't think I'm going to find enough on Chapter History to really focus in on that aspect of training outside the blurb references of several codecies and what I already have on hand. No worry though. I can work with that.

Thank you for the ideas, and if anyone else has a thought, please share.

I remember reading somewhere that a Neophyte has to fight a bare handed Initiate at some point. Most of the time the initiate wins and sometimes the Neophyte dies, but sometimes the Neophyte beats or even kills the initiate. Those Neophytes usually end up becoming high ranking members like Castellan or Marshal. Regardless of the outcome, the fight is to judge how the Neophyte handles a stronger opponent and failure to beat the initiate is expected. I'll have to have a look through my old White Dwarf tonight to find the reference. Edited by Ebon Hand

I read that too, somewhere, and it also stated that that particular test is rare. I would not put that in until at least SOME of the implants are placed, to make the aspirant more durable, but not enough to really win. I mean, c'mon, does ANYONE really think a 10-16 year old can stand a chance in 1-1 against an Astartes?