New codex coming this year...

Leonaides

Not to keep going about FLG but they came right out and said it was specifically their influence that the Index was built on, and it showed. They were absolutely more than just playtesters. I'd say their experience certainly outstrips most of us in quantity but absolutely not in quality, they don't even bother with what they consider weak units/ armies, where those of us that aren't simply current WAAC flavor players try to make the armies we love work. I'm sure they are nice guys, but that's where I'm coming from anyway.

Also Reece crapped all over "complain train BA players" after he offered bad advice and after claiming BA were OP. So those guys go far away as far as I'm concerned. Sorry for the rant haha but hopefully that gives you some insight into where 'all the hate is coming from'.

Totally, totally get your Chaplain Gunzhard, I will say honestly, i really, really despise "dissing" and negative put downs of people that are clearly and goodheartedly trying to develop and uplift our army. I believe that a broad and varied group of communities can generate better engagement and enjoyment overall. 

The issue here is that I equally despise being sold daintily wrapped faeces and told they're chocolate treats.  There was little to nothing BA about many of the competitive lists offered from FLG.  And I heard the cries of OP from that camp a lot in the lead up to 8th and the first few weeks of release.  In fact, it was that member that wrote the whole "character buffs are awesome" review for the chapter overview.   That sours me, greatly.

Not only do I not agree, I thing its demonstrably false in this meta. 

I cant, in good conscience accept advice that I know, categorically, will be trashed in my gaming circles. And I can't, in good conscience, accept a lack of objectivity or even contextualisation for proposed ideas/solutions/lists. 

Despite these guys having hours and hours of playtesting, they're playtesting in a vacuum.  I don't know the quality of gamers, the quality of opponent lists, the mission scorecards, the amount or type of terrain used, or any other necessary information.  The main BA player there could be an absolutely phenomenal player playing opponents that are much less so - I just don't know. 

And it PAINS me that I'm in such strong and vocal disagreement when he's clearly trying to positively push an army he enjoys (that happens to be the army I've invested my gaming life into - this year marks 20 years of me playing 40k, and 18 years playing BA). 

That being said, and hypocritical as it may seem now, I'd like the board to end with the negative inter-factional commentary as I don't believe its conducive to building a stronger, broader community.  So, unless frater here in future specifically question their(FLG's) stance as a matter of historical context, I'm going to request that we move on from our respective gripes with FLG and focus more on the productive side of things!

Cheers. 

As we have seen with Ynnari, if our codex isn't performing to scratch after 6 months, expect an FAQ/Errata.

I guess it's bad that Chapter approved will come out around Christmas, as it means a BA codex released at Xmas will have to wait a year for in-print corrections. It's still better than nothing.

Weirdly, I cannot think of many/anyone in the GW studio that has a BA army. You see Dan's Tau, Jes's nids, a few guys with dark angels etc, which would have all been used for playtesting 8th, however the only one I know is Matt Hutson's 3rd company he made for apocalypse.

Maybe it's this lack of BA players in the studio that has seen the rules be a bit off?

The more I think on it, the more I think we'll get advance and charge, and I'm reasonably ok with that, as long as we get some 'advance after deepstrike' stratagems.

Advance and charge sacrifices some shooting for greater chance to get into combat - this ties in a little with the 3rd ed rule where your units ran forwards d6" if you failed their red thirst roll.

Charge after advance is that same 6+d6" mode for infantry, but now it makes it optional and more controllable. It also ties in with our preference for assault weapons, which can still shoot after the advance.

Edited by Xenith

As we have seen with Ynnari, if our codex isn't performing to scratch after 6 months, expect an FAQ/Errata.

Unfortunately the lackluster Grey Knights codex and the lack of chapter approved update for them shows this is only proven to apply to the in vogue factions GW is pushing. I'd suggest if the codex is awful, the only corrections we're likely to get is re-pointing of our specific units/characters and that could easily be overridden  by general SM nerfs that hit us harder (like the Assault Cannon cost increase).

Unfortunately the lackluster Grey Knights codex and the lack of chapter approved update for them shows this is only proven to apply to the in vogue factions GW is pushing. I'd suggest if the codex is awful, the only corrections we're likely to get is re-pointing of our specific units/characters and that could easily be overridden by general SM nerfs that hit us harder (like the Assault Cannon cost increase).

Cleon, Ynnari rules have been out for almost 6 months, and Grey Knights for what, 1 month? Its natural that Ynnari have more feedback. We also don't know what has been addressed in Chapter Approved.

So Chapter Approved is coming out before the Codex books. Preorders up on the 25th, as per the most recent WC article.

Very curious how much BA will need the book for core rules, though the build your own Land Raider looks like a ton of fun. I really want to do this:

40kChapApp-Nov18-Image3th-500x269.jpg

Edited by NTaW

If we don’t get our first preview tomorrow I might have to start paying more attention to the whispers of the ruinous powers. Please god Emperor, give me info lol.

The chaos gods BoLS and Faeit lie, brother. Do not give in to temptation.
despite the chapter approved preview instead of our book I’m not giving into the dark gods. The red thirst for this book is starting to put me into a black rage though lol.

A) Land Raiders

I am intrigued by the idea of the dakka box and one with as many lascannons as possible. There is something to be said for forgoing transportation for maximum distraction carnifex effect

B ) release date for our new Codex

I was sure that our new book would be timed to capitalize on the release of Devastation of Baal, but WHC says Chapter Approved comes out 11/25, so I’m not sure anymore.

My second guess would then be a Red Christmas. But that would mean DA come out first. Nothing wrong with our Calibanite brothers getting some love, but it seems weird to split up the BA focus from BL vs GW

Guys, I'm almost done with The Devastation of Baal and I really, really think it's setting us up for new models. I'll elaborate a bit more in the other thread once I'm completely done but there's one part in particular that makes me thing we may see

our own version of the Wulfen in The Damned that lived in the Tower of Amaeo.

Guys, I'm almost done with The Devastation of Baal and I really, really think it's setting us up for new models. I'll elaborate a bit more in the other thread once I'm completely done but there's one part in particular that makes me thing we may see

our own version of the Wulfen in The Damned that lived in the Tower of Amaeo.

Talking about taking a trope too far...

Admittedly my view of the BA background is fairly biased towards the 2nd/3rd/4th ed era characterisation, but I just don't see the Blood Angels taking the Lost off world. By all means let them out of the tower when Baal itself is under attack, but taking them anywhere where they might be seen? where questions might be asked? No, it's a secret shame to remain locked away.

Can I stick out my chest and rooster for a moment?

I believe I called this back in the summer, possibly before that! When we were talking about the speculation of what was to come from 8th edition and the Destruction of Baal originally! *Self ^5s* 

Admittedly my view of the BA background is fairly biased towards the 2nd/3rd/4th ed era characterisation, but I just don't see the Blood Angels taking the Lost off world. By all means let them out of the tower when Baal itself is under attack, but taking them anywhere where they might be seen? where questions might be asked? No, it's a secret shame to remain locked away.

That’s the way I see it to. I like how it was done in the novel but I don’t want to see them as a unit in our codex, some cool little bits of background Info dropped around them though. The novel is full of these, cool little bits of background about the BA and successors dropped here and there.

Edited by pandion40

Reason I shared the image, is because Blood Quest was a 2nd ed/3rd ed lore thing, so it's old school, and very clearly shows the exact final effect of the red third for someone that has completely succumb to it.

Now, obviously this may well get changed somewhat in terms of execution. And I highly doubt we'll see models or units for them in the upcoming codex, because I just dont see us getting any miniature love any time soon.

But until something supersedes it, this is what is canon on the subject.

I do however agree that I can't see the BA allowing a brother that has fallen that far to be away from Baal.

Well, this is what currently happens till something says otherwise...

*snip for space*

they're already meant to become what are basically WHFB strigoi

See if what we got was marine sized Strigoi in power armour, that'd be ok I guess (I'd still rather it didn't happen, but that sort of execution I could live with).

An accentuation of clasic vampiric appearance, fine.  The Bloodquest thing... meh. I don't really see why fully succumbing to the Flaw would result in massive growth or horns, so wouldn't be sorry to see that pass by the wayside. If anything I imagine them to be more gaunt. I get that's the current canon, such as it is, but there'd be no tears shed if that were ignored should we actually get models.

Edited by sockwithaticket