New codex coming this year...

Leonaides

I don't know how to fell about his to be honest. really excited that our dex is on the way, but now I don't know if I will be able to pick up the Necromunda box set and expanded rulebook.

**sigh**   Feed my family, or plastic crack addiction... Decisions, decisions, decisions......

**sigh** Feed my family, or plastic crack addiction... Decisions, decisions, decisions......

If only the boxes were edible...

I'm excited, If only because my meta mostly have codexes and I'm stuck with neither of my armies (Tau is other) having one atm!

Edited by VanDutch

Surprised but also feeling incredibly negative about this. I just dont think it will be any good.

What has given you such cause for concern?

Every codex has been an improvement over the index, some may not have been spectacular (GK), but still better than before.

I don't play BA, but Of all the groups on B&C that I have been following, the BA one has been one that seems to have the most issues with the index.

Most here have been asking for the codex, you've been told when it's coming, at least wait to see it before complaining about it.

Excited but tempering my expectations.

Why temper expectations?, it will be better than the index, there is no reason not to get excited

Might not be the ove powered rules that people want, but will still be better than what's in index

So...like Nids have Hive Fleets sub-factions to choose with, what do BA gets?

Fleshtearers and a full DeathCompany?

Not necessarily anything at all. BA already are a subfaction like Grey Knights who didn't get subsubfactions rules for different Brotherhoods either.

EDIT: forgetting words is dumb. Stop doing that, me.

Edited by sfPanzer

Excited but tempering my expectations.

Why temper expectations?, it will be better than the index, there is no reason not to get excited

Might not be the ove powered rules that people want, but will still be better than what's in index

A lot of us have been really underwhelmed with everything that has been put out for us in literally years. I get the hesitation to be excited. If some of our special units don't get nice updates/changes we will probably still be pretty crappy.

Note: I don't play competitively or anything, but just trying to give you an idea of how this community feels...

Edited by Brother Lemartes

Yeah I am excited since all the Codexes in 8th so far have been great, but I also remember how underwhelming the releases for BA used to be before 8th so while being excited I'm also prepared to get disappointed. :D

Surprised but also feeling incredibly negative about this. I just dont think it will be any good.

Every codex has been an improvement over the index, some may not have been spectacular (GK), but still better than before.

I don't play BA, but Of all the groups on B&C that I have been following, the BA one has been one that seems to have the most issues with the index.

Most here have been asking for the codex, you've been told when it's coming, at least wait to see it before complaining about it.

The truth is the BA havent felt like a threat since 3rd edition and im not talking top level/best army level. Just a threat. Hard to deal with.

Were supposed to think that now it will happen? Why? Are all the high damage high AP weapons leaving the game? No. Will most of our units still feel like they all do the same thing(aka kill chaff but not much else)? Probably. So aside for fluffy sounding rules and pretty pictures its not like there is much to be excited about even if it is an improvement on the index.

Also on the fluff side...i am not looking forward to the primaris parade.

The truth is the BA havent felt like a threat since 3rd edition and im not talking top level/best army level. Just a threat. Hard to deal with.

Were supposed to think that now it will happen? Why? Are all the high damage high AP weapons leaving the game? No. Will most of our units still feel like they all do the same thing(aka kill chaff but not much else)? Probably. So aside for fluffy sounding rules and pretty pictures its not like there is much to be excited about even if it is an improvement on the index.

Why we're supposed to think it'll be the case now? Oh dunno... *looks at Tyranids*

Seriously, they've done a good job with the Codexes so far. High damage and high AP weapons are just as much a threat for vanillar Marines and CSM and they are doing fine as well currently.

It's also quite unlikely for us to get more Primaris than vanilla Marines with this Codex. It has an old art cover which indicates not including a bunch of new units. If we're getting special Primaris it's more likely to come in a later release wave once everyone got their Codex.

The sky is really not falling just yet. You're looking at a cloud and see the end of the world. :D

Why we're supposed to think it'll be the case now? Oh dunno... *looks at Tyranids*

Seriously, they've done a good job with the Codexes so far. High damage and high AP weapons are just as much a threat for vanillar Marines and CSM and they are doing fine as well currently.

It's also quite unlikely for us to get more Primaris than vanilla Marines with this Codex. It has an old art cover which indicates not including a bunch of new units. If we're getting special Primaris it's more likely to come in a later release wave once everyone got their Codex.

The sky is really not falling just yet. You're looking at a cloud and see the end of the world. :D

Maybe. But do we want to play red marines or blood angels? It feels like i havent played blood angels in a long time.

Im so, so, so nervous. This codex is likely going to dictate my enjoyment of the entire 8th edition ><;

Please do right by the community, GW ><;

I am so with you, dude. I’m not the nervous kind and I have legit anxiety thinking about the new BA Codex dropping. If it does not pass muster i’m out of 40k and may go strictly 30k, if at all.

And TauFish:

Hidden Content

There has been a documented history of GW really not “getting” BA the past few editions. At best there were Deep Striking Land Raiders which made no sense and caused community backlash but at least they helped you win games. And that was best case scenario. And then you have 4 (count ‘em) book releases where BA do not get any additional flyers beyond the Stormraven, despite being depicted in BA’s own fluff as having Stormtalons/hawks. We were the bottom of the barrel in the age of the Decurion, then they release ours and it contains a Core choice with literally the exact same bonus as the Decurion and which can’t stack. Seriously. We were the rules given to the interns. And then our Index listings are mind numbingly off point with things costing more for less (inferno pistols: half a melta for extra cost; hand flamers giving you a chance to have 3x lasgun shots for the cost of 4x stormbolters). Dante is one of the most expensive CM yet has the least rules/abilities of them all. Ad nauseum...

...and then you have the documented case of outside “voices” like Fromtlingaming claiming our Index is OP b/c of all the character buffs...only to literally walk back that very statement and basically say the only way to win in a competitive environment is to play as close to Red Marines as possible and know you will be at a disadvantage.

So....there is a history of being disappointed with head scratching rules and decisions (and lack thereof). So while this Codex may very well prove worthwhile, please understand where so many of us are coming from.

Edited by Indefragable

Rowboat Razorspam does well. I haven’t seen any other lists winning tournaments, but that’s just me.

IF the bugs book is anything to go off of, then I'm really excited for our boys in red. Maybe we will get lucky and get some flavor for the successors. That seems to be a recurring theme with every book released so far. 

I fully suspect to see at least 2 chapters in the book; we might get lucky and get a couple that are canon but have never shown up in the rules before. That's what I'm most excited about seeing; if we get the same treatment with multiple ways to play using only one codex.

The sky is really not falling just yet. You're looking at a cloud and see the end of the world. :biggrin.:

Rowboat Razorspam does well. I haven’t seen any other lists winning tournaments, but that’s just me.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think one has to win tournaments to do well. 

I think people expecting different rules for successor chapters are well on their way to disappointment. Death Guard are the book to look to for how a single chapter/legion book will look like; one single chapter tactic. Look at vanilla; all UM successors use their trait, all RG successors use their trait. All BA successors will use the BA trait. The trait comes from the gene seed as much as anything. Successors will get some special characters and that’s all. Maybe a different relic or warlord trait (like crimson fists, even though they use imperial fist chapter tactic).

The Craftworlds and Nids books show that they know how to better balance the books, and recognize what didn’t work for the most part in the index books. As for GW “not getting” us, well that’s hard to disagree with, but even this subforum can’t come to consensus on what BA are aside from “better than they are now” and “not what they are now”.

A good psychic discipline, stratagems (half of which we will share with codex vanilla), points cost cutting and some buffs are as much as I’m willing to expect. Anything beyond that is bonus. Part of me expects new Primaris to drop since we are getting two marine books in time for Christmas. Some type of assault marines that aren’t welders with mini heavy bolters.

I feel like GWs current design philosophy is "why not?" In terms of rules.

Death Guard and Nids both ooze this in all of the cool rules, buffs, point adjustments and flavoursome ideas.

I think the index is an okay starting point and hopefully a deep injection of flavour will sort us out and move away from the wonky hero hammer we have right now.

If the book lets me down, I'll probably move to Add Mech and Deathguard pretty hard.

I also swear to god if we don't get Cataphractii etc I'll be sad Panda and the lead designer literally lied to my face at Warhammer Fest.

To echo, outside of MAYBE Flesh Tearers, we won't be getting more than one chapter tactic - expecting more isn't worth the effort aha.

Edited by Charlo

Current rumour from B&C (sodium chloride on standby).

Apparently the Blood Angels Chapter Tactic is +1" added to any Charge rolls and Advance rolls for any infantry and Dreadnoughts.

If true, that would be slightly underwhelming. I am hoping that this is only half of the trait. It is not bad and is fairly fluffy but on its own it is not going to make much of a difference (although that is just the Chapter trait, units may get individual good rules and discounts).

I also swear to god if we don't get Cataphractii etc I'll be sad Panda and the lead designer literally lied to my face at Warhammer Fest.

I like to be optimistic about the Codex but....be prepared to be a sad Panda about those things. I only believe we're getting Cataphractii and similar vanilla units when I see them printed in the Codex. :sweat:

I'm excited based on what the other codexes (especially the tyranid) have done. I was hoping for some jumppack or melee Primaris to go along with the release, but I'm not too sad about it. 

I wouldn't expect successor tactics (except maybe, just maybe, the FT). Death Guard and Grey Knights didn't get subfactions. 

I am staying optimistic. I like what I've seen of the other codexes and I'm not a competitive player. I'm also very new and am not scarred by GW letting me down in the past. 

Apparently the Blood Angels Chapter Tactic is +1" added to any Charge rolls and Advance rolls for any infantry and Dreadnoughts.

If true, that would be slightly underwhelming. I am hoping that this is only half of the trait. It is not bad and is fairly fluffy but on its own it is not going to make much of a difference (although that is just the Chapter trait, units may get individual good rules and discounts).

I can totally see that. Making it more tasty to actually do advance&charge moves and taking weapons accordingly without forcing us to anything. Yep, I can see that being true. Very very bland tho. However it does increase the chance of reaching melee out of reserves greatly!

That sounds incredibly awful to me... but I don't play much. I'd much rather reroll charges and people seem to even think that sucks (for BT at least).

My expectations are dropping just to help avoid disappointment...

Just looking at some relevant numbers: Currently a DC squad with Lemartes has a 48% chance of landing a charge after deepstriking. With +1 charge range that goes to 66%. For regular deepstrike charges without rerolls the odds are improved from 28% to 41%. Still too low for my liking.