Codex Chaos Daemons first in 2018

Panzer

I think Slaanesh only defence against shooting will be the Deep Strike strat, which probably won't be enough to make them competitive but oh well... at least they're cool. Though things like World Eaters, Blood Angels or Ctachans are screwed against us :tongue.:, let's hope the Codex has something that hasn't been shown to defend us from the likes of tau, artillery or primaris (because advancing and charging isn't enough to close the gap).

Nahh mate, deepstriking a Lord of Skulls will be the most fun Ive had in years :tongue.:

I played around with BattleScribe, and with the old point costs (not sure wheather something changed in Codex now) you can take the following in a 2000 point game:

2 Heralds

3x 10 Bloodletters

1 Brass Scorpion

2 Kytans

So 9 CPs, use 7 to deepstrike the 2 Super Heavys plus a Herold and they can reroll the charge rolls, so  likely to get 2-3 Superheavys into CC on your first turn :whistling:

Nahh mate, deepstriking a Lord of Skulls will be the most fun Ive had in years :tongue.:

I played around with BattleScribe, and with the old point costs (not sure wheather something changed in Codex now) you can take the following in a 2000 point game:

2 Heralds

3x 10 Bloodletters

1 Brass Scorpion

2 Kytans

So 9 CPs, use 7 to deepstrike the 2 Super Heavys plus a Herold and they can reroll the charge rolls, so  likely to get 2-3 Superheavys into CC on your first turn :whistling:

The deepstriking is juuuust right ;) 

I fear that they can restrict this with FAQ like they did with Tallarn stratagem. For example they can write: you can deepstrike as much units as you want, but only one of them can a Greater Daemon or Super Heavy. 

Edited by Stross

I fear that they can restrict this with FAQ like they did with Tallarn stratagem. For example they can write: you can deepstrike as much units as you want, but only one of them can a Greater Daemon or Super Heavy. 

Certainly but it's much more fun the first week to deepstrike Lord of Skulls. Or even two weeks or three ;) 

Yeah, that is easily one of the best things to do with the new codex! Really need to build mine already. Maybe this stratagem explains the seemingly pointless points increase of the scorpion in Chapter Approved. Then again, with the silly god-related point cost of the big bad daemons, can't say there's any game-related logic going on. 

At any rate, wow... you're right about Daemonforge. That's 4 CP to pull off that whole combo, but some serious pain is coming toward its targets. Perhaps 5 CP to hopefully secure a good number of shots from its big gun. Still, could be worth it.

FAQs are not there to balance things. You gotta have to wait for a big Errata or, more likely, the next Chapter Approved or similar book to get released in like half a year.

As for the FAQ itself....who knows when that comes. BA and DA haven't gotten theirs yet either.

I wonder how possessed/CSM daemon engines/DPs will interact, and whether you’ll still get the loci? Since Plague Drones for example are Nurgle Daemons

As long as everything is taken in its own appropriate detachment, buffs should apply based on key words. If your herald is in a pure codex daemons detachment, it will have its locus. That locus (I am pretty damn sure) will buff units of the appropriate type (say, daemons of nurgle) even if they're in a CSM detachment (possessed, maulerfiends, etc.).

I wonder how possessed/CSM daemon engines/DPs will interact, and whether you’ll still get the loci? Since Plague Drones for example are Nurgle Daemons

As long as everything is taken in its own appropriate detachment, buffs should apply based on key words. If your herald is in a pure codex daemons detachment, it will have its locus. That locus (I am pretty damn sure) will buff units of the appropriate type (say, daemons of nurgle) even if they're in a CSM detachment (possessed, maulerfiends, etc.).

Yes. Someone on here said that GW answered that question on Warhammer TV,  and answered in the affirmative. It's also in the Designer's Commentary with a specific example involving Heralds and Possessed.

Per the Death Guard FAQ and further reported WHTV comments, Stratagems should work the same way: unlocked by pure detachments, but benefitting anyone with the right keywords in the whole force.

If you watch StrikingScorpion's review in 1080p or better and take some screenshots, you can see that all of the Loci and Stratagems use the appropriate bolded keywords to make this possible. BellofLostSouls also confirmed with a screenshot regarding Denizens of the Warp (the deepstrike stratagem). It only looks for "DAEMON." That's it. So yes....incoming Lord of Skulls in 5...4....3...

That is.....unless your opponent brought enough Sentinels or Scouts to crowd you out of the ideal range. :)

Sufficient bubblewrap will ruin the deep strike strategy. Armies like IG will laugh as you kill 40pts of guardsmen and then blow you off the table. Unfortunately there isn't any other effective strategy (that I'm aware of) for pure Daemons to use.

Skarbrand has been nerfed a little as well so that's not a guarantee to be stuck in over turn 1 either. Mortarion is probably the most effective use with his multiple sources of MWs. 

Sufficient bubblewrap will ruin the deep strike strategy. Armies like IG will laugh as you kill 40pts of guardsmen and then blow you off the table. Unfortunately there isn't any other effective strategy (that I'm aware of) for pure Daemons to use.

Skarbrand has been nerfed a little as well so that's not a guarantee to be stuck in over turn 1 either. Mortarion is probably the most effective use with his multiple sources of MWs. 

This is what I keep telling people freaking out about DS Primarchs, Bubble wrap and chaff is a big part of 8th and if you use it correctly you can mitigate a lot of the damage especially with no sweeping advance, it means 1 unit max a turn dead.

That is.....unless your opponent brought enough Sentinels or Scouts to crowd you out of the ideal range

I hope that their deepstrike works like everything else, not something like Alpha legion Forward Operative. So until the third turn it is possible to clean the screen or enemy will be forced to spead his forces

This is one of the reasons why I think Bloodletters work better with the DS stratagem than a single monster.

You're going to want to wait until turn 2-3 before bringing them in, by which time you have hopefully done something about the bubble wrap.

In what way was Skarbrand nerfed? 

He no longer just outright prevents Falling Back. Units roll 3D6, and can only fall back if they roll equal or under their Ld value.

Bubble wrap? Tell that monsters with FLY and access to warptime. ^^

Well, lets say Mortarion has a 100mm base... that just means you need enough bubble wrap to leave no space bigger than 100mm + 1 inch within your lines :yes::wink:

Just a quick question:

Do we know the exact prices for the new GUO or just the "in the low 300" ? If possible I want to know the Sword and Flail option.

Bubble wrap? Tell that monsters with FLY and access to warptime. ^^

Well, lets say Mortarion has a 100mm base... that just means you need enough bubble wrap to leave no space bigger than 100mm + 1 inch within your lines :yes::wink:

Just a quick question:

Do we know the exact prices for the new GUO or just the "in the low 300" ? If possible I want to know the Sword and Flail option.

Seems expensive in CP but maybe just a Daemon Prince would be good for this, small base, fly and abilities for reroll charges

but, CSM daemon engines have the same keywords, so you could take them in the same detachment and suffer no penalties and use all the buffs, right? 

Well no, their faction isn't Daemons and that's where the problem lies. However, you can take them in a separate detachment and they will still gain any bonuses or buffs from Daemons that aren't strategem related. So for example, any aura or AoEs will work on, say, a Bloat Drone. But a strategem cannot target said Bloat Drone because it's not technically part of the Daemon army. It's all in the keywords and descriptions of powers and abilities.

Edited by DuskRaider