Codex Chaos Daemons first in 2018

Panzer

Well no, their faction isn't Daemons and that's where the problem lies. However, you can take them in a separate detachment and they will still gain any bonuses or buffs from Daemons that aren't strategem related. So for example, any aura or AoEs will work on, say, a Bloat Drone. But a strategem cannot target said Bloat Drone because it's not technically part of the Daemon army. It's all in the keywords and descriptions of powers and abilities.

I do not believe this has to be the case, as Marks of Chaos are amongst the Faction Keywords and this way I do believe you can still use all the Stratagems for the particular Faction where all are part of. In the case of the Bloat Drone the Faction can be Nurgle, this way I do believe you can use the Death Guard stratagems from codex Death Guard and the Daemon stratagems from codex Chaos Daemons.

But I do understand your line of thought here. It could be that GW wants to have it work like you said but there is currently nothing that enforces or limits the use of these Stratagems as far as I know. Having said that I don't own the Codex Chaos Daemons yet.

Well no, their faction isn't Daemons and that's where the problem lies. However, you can take them in a separate detachment and they will still gain any bonuses or buffs from Daemons that aren't strategem related. So for example, any aura or AoEs will work on, say, a Bloat Drone. But a strategem cannot target said Bloat Drone because it's not technically part of the Daemon army. It's all in the keywords and descriptions of powers and abilities.

I do not believe this has to be the case, as Marks of Chaos are amongst the Faction Keywords and this way I do believe you can still use all the Stratagems for the particular Faction where all are part of. In the case of the Bloat Drone the Faction can be Nurgle, this way I do believe you can use the Death Guard stratagems from codex Death Guard and the Daemon stratagems from codex Chaos Daemons.

But I do understand your line of thought here. It could be that GW wants to have it work like you said but there is currently nothing that enforces or limits the use of these Stratagems as far as I know. Having said that I don't own the Codex Chaos Daemons yet.

This isn't how it works.

You must have a FULL detachment (excluding Auxiliary Support Detachment) of Death Guard to have access to Death Guard Stratagems. You must then also have a FULL detachment (excluding Auxiliary Support Detachment) of Daemons to have access to the Daemons Stratagems. However, once you have access to either set of Stratagems, you can target ANYONE in your entire army with any Stratagem so long as the Keywords are appropriate. Thus, to use the Foetid Bloat-Drone example, a Foetid Bloat-Drone can be targeted by any Stratagem that affects the Daemon/Chaos/Nurgle/Death Guard keywords, regardless of source (unless, of course, the Stratagem in question has extra restrictions).

The Nurgle faction keyword has literally nothing to do with being able to use the Death Guard Stratagems. You need a Death Guard detachment. Period.

Same for Daemons. To be able to use Daemon Stratagems you need a Daemon detachment (note the difference between faction keyword Daemon and regular keyword Daemon when building lists!)

1 HQ and 1 TROOPS selection is all it takes for a detachment, so it's not so hard to pull that off (in case anyone didn't know).

Aux detachments can literally be 1 unit of anything. It just costs 1 cp to field

Auxiliary Detachments do not qualify for Stratagems (noted in the Stratagems sections).

I was under the understanding that faction keywords are the same as other keywords once the game starts and hence no reason why you can’t. I can use a DG strategem on a CSM unit as long as the keywords match up (and I have the correct detachments)

That’s correct. Might even be quoted more than once in this thread, originally in the Death Guard FAQ. As long as the target of a stratagem is an appropriate target (e.g. can’t target something that stipulates daemon keyword when it doesn’t have the daemon keyword, like a cultist) it works. Edited by Juggernut

I was under the understanding that faction keywords are the same as other keywords once the game starts and hence no reason why you can’t. I can use a DG strategem on a CSM unit as long as the keywords match up (and I have the correct detachments)

That's right, however CSM Daemon Engines don't have the Daemon faction keyword. They have it only as regular keyword. So if you'd put CSM Daemon engine units in the same detachment as Codex Daemon units it would be a mixed Chaos detachment and not a daemon detachment.

You can use Codex Daemon stratagems on CSM Daemon Engine units just fine, but you can't put both in the same detachment without losing access to those Stratagems (unless you have another pure Codex Daemon detachment on top of that one in your army of course).

That's right, however CSM Daemon Engines don't have the Daemon faction keyword. They have it only as regular keyword. So if you'd put CSM Daemon engine units in the same detachment as Codex Daemon units it would be a mixed Chaos detachment and not a daemon detachment.

You can use Codex Daemon stratagems on CSM Daemon Engine units just fine, but you can't put both in the same detachment without losing access to those Stratagems (unless you have another pure Codex Daemon detachment on top of that one in your army of course).

Yes that’s how I’ve understood it too! :)