Daemonette Conversions/Alternatives

Evil Eye

So. Daemonettes. The scions of Slaanesh. They're (to the best of my knowledge) a good unit, and more to the point they're the mainstay of a mono-Slaanesh Daemon force, unless you proxy another god's lesser Daemons somehow.

However, their models, whilst not terrible, are far from the best. They're a bit wrinkly, and not really fitting for the lascivious physical incarnations of excess and debauchery they're supposed to be. Furthermore, because I'm an ambitious idiot I'm planning on every unit in my army looking different from each other, with different colour schemes and different appearances, partly to pay homage to the older Chaos fluff, partly to emphasize their nature as things of pure Chaos, and mostly to avoid getting bored with painting the same colours and assembling the same models over and over. Therefore, I will need to either heavily convert the existing Daemonette kit, or I will need to use other kits to modify into Daemonette-looking things.

So far I have two units sorted: One unit of "regular" Daemonettes (with some subtle conversions) and one unit of the Diaznettes I got from the Made to Order from a while back. Given that I have no idea how many more units of Daemonettes I'll be doing, and also given that coming up with conversion ideas is fun, I intend to gather as many ideas as possible- which is where you fine folk come in.

So, my friends, what would you guys recommend as either alternative models to make into 'nettes, or conversions one could do upon the existing plastics (no matter how heavy)? My only real restrictions are I'd rather not use third party models, simply so I can use them anywhere, and as much as I love the Diaznettes, their aftermarket price and monopose nature makes them unsuitable for mass troop building.

My ideas so far:

Dryads: The Sylvaneth/Wood Elf Dryads are an obvious choice, due to being scary wood nymphs. They'd need some conversion to look the part and not just look like, well, Dryads, but that's OK with me.

Witch Elves: Kierdale did a very cool set of 'nettes converted from Witch Elf and Daemonette parts, and the results were spectacular. I wouldn't mind having a go at this myself.

Wyches: Whilst not appropriate for use as baseline models, some of the Wych parts would be very suitable for Daemonettes, especially some of the heads.

Mandrakes: Yes, those Mandrakes. Given that Slaanesh was always a bit wishy-washy on the whole gender thing, male Daemonettes aren't outside the realm of possibility, and with some extra arms and a nice new paintjob they'd fit the bill nicely.

Stock Daemonettes (with conversions): I have seen some very impressive conversions of the plastic Daemonettes, amongst which was a rather cool set of 'nettes someone did where the clothing was dremelled down and resculpted. Whilst time-consuming, I do have a Dremel, and the results were definitely worth it (alas I can no longer find these conversions on the 'net).

Anyway, any other ideas (be they models, bitz or even just themes for conversions) would be most appreciated.

Sylvaneth Spite-Revenants would make for good Daemonettes as well imo. Just like the Drycha Hamadreth would make for a good Daemon Prince.

Damn, they would as well! Good call.

Witch Elves and Wych boxes are double the price of the Daemonette box, however.

Yeah. they aren't cheap. Still not as bad as trying to get the Diaznettes in bulk though, and in the case of the Wyches I was only thinking of getting a box for parts.

So I remembered I had a spare Daemonette from the Chariot kit and decided to work on that. I dremelled down most of the detail and started sculpting on the "blank" body. Here's it so far.

http://i.cubeupload.com/40WLiJ.jpg

Front view. I'm going for the asymmetrical look with this test example, with only the normal amount of breasts but both on the same side (only high-ranking Daemons of Slaanesh get to have exceptional amounts of boobage!)

http://i.cubeupload.com/bsZ0d4.jpg

Angled view showing the "flat" side of her(?) torso. I'm not sure what I'll do with this side, I'm tempted to either have it mutilated and scarred or alternatively just having two nipples. ("Yeah, I never could get those ones to get any bigger. That side must be a late bloomer...")

http://i.cubeupload.com/RK5qcd.jpg

Side view. As you can tell, there will be a lot of sanding required due to the nature of putty/my incompetent sculpting work.

http://i.cubeupload.com/DCRvdU.jpg

In the words of Paul Whitehouse, "Arse!". Again, needs sanding/touching up but it's getting there. I'm not sure what she'll be wearing, though. I have a few ideas, notably:

>Standard issue loincloth

>Tight leather undergarment, with or without suspicious bulge
>A serpent/worm/tentacle clinging to her nether regions, coiling around her pelvis

>Having her naked but with some horrendous deformity in place of genitalia, such as an eyeball, a mouth or god knows what else, because as we all know, horrendous deviances of the flesh are far more acceptable than reproductive anatomy.

Having done this, I think I'll do one "squad" this way as it's a lot less labour intensive than I expected. That said, any more suggestions are more than welcome.

Well you have seen my recent WiP using a Bloodletter as the base, and I am trying to visualize another Daemonette using a Plaguebearer. 

The 'Wire Twins' from Hellraiser Inferno have a creepy Slaaneshi vibe, should be easy to do something similar with Daemonette, Dark Eldar and Escher bits. 

77f0ff67414f0b767f5aa0eed300a65d.jpg

The dark elf witches are expensive but you get so many wonderful bitz in that kit. I can’t recommend enough treating yourself to a box or two. The poses are fantastic...the mask...the whips and daggers...the shoulder armour you can add here and there on other models (or your ‘normal’ daemonettes)...

I’d love to see dryads done too. As mentioned, clip off the woody/leaf bitz and they could be painted up as anything. Twisted flesh, certainly. Add some bleeding cuts...

Sylvaneth Spite-Revenants would make for good Daemonettes as well imo. Just like the Drycha Hamadreth would make for a good Daemon Prince.

And the Drycha Hamadreth would be sooo good. Perhaps have some tentacles coming out of those holes...

The dark elf witches are expensive but you get so many wonderful bitz in that kit. I can’t recommend enough treating yourself to a box or two. 

Cant agree more, though I wouldn't drop that kinda coin on a second box.  

I kitbashed one box of them with one of regular daemonettes for two squads of ten, then got a second of each to expand them to twenty each...but got distracted and used some for decoration and basing...so I’m going to have to save up for a third box of each :D

And I snapped a quick photo of two daemonettes I made from leg-swaps to show how dynamic you can go:

Meet ‘Splits’ and ‘Limbo’...

med_gallery_63428_9407_287133.jpeg

Ah yes, Kierdale, I remember those 'nettes! Really creative yet ingeniously simple.

And STD, I'm now kicking myself for not getting round to watching Hellraiser yet. Awesome looking movie(s?) and excellent character designs. And if that Bloodletter based Herald is anything to go by the next conversion should be excellent!

I'm in the same boat. I've been mewling for a while now about waiting until the holiday bundles to start my Slaaneshi Daemons (This upcoming Saturday, I'm told!).

Part of me is really tempted to use the Preying Mantis warriors from Raging Heroes so as to keep a more humanoid form to the Daemonette's upper body, though I fear that the nudity - while quite Slaaneshi - would limit the spaces that one could play in.

On the other hand, the only bits I dislike about the GW Daemonettes are the claws and some of the heads. Could try using some of those Wytch arms mentioned before? Or are they not the right size for that?

The big problem with using RH Daemonots is that being third party minis, GW won't let you use them in their stores. Nudity isn't the issue (you could use the Diaznettes with no trouble) but using competing product is.

I still want some to paint though. :D

And STD, I'm now kicking myself for not getting round to watching Hellraiser yet. Awesome looking movie(s?) and excellent character designs. And if that Bloodletter based Herald is anything to go by the next conversion should be excellent!

The first 4 Hellraiser films are good, the last 5 are a bit pants but there are good bits here and there. Download them all and have a Hellraiser allnighter! :D 

Nightbreed is worth a watch as well if you have not seen it. 

Not a daemonette idea, but a possible Daemon prince of Slaanesh idea that just popped into my head:

Possessed/corrupted Eldar Wraithlord.

Carve/GS a face and maw into that head, maybe give it daemonic wings, daemonic flesh here and there...

This seems like a very interesting idea indeed. What wings do you think would work with that lithe of a figure?

Now that is a very good question.

Looking at the sprues and people’s models on the Internet there are vanes sticking out of its back: perhaps these could be expanded upon, change the angle, and elaborated into some kind of wings. And/or pose it crouched atop something high, ready to jump.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, I'm rather new to B&C. I've been playing 40k for a little under a year now as a Salamanders player and I will be putting my Slaanesh's army together starting next year.

With all of that said, in the course of my investigations about which minis to buy, I found some really nice ones from lesser known companies.

http://www.gamezoneminiatures.com/tienda/en/chaos/31-prole-diabolica-portaestandarte.html

If you're looking for something more human.

https://hexy-shop.com/shop/fantasy-miniatures/daemon-hellchicks/

Edited by Slan Drakkos

"only high-ranking Daemons of Slaanesh get to have exceptional amounts of boobage!" 

:D That´s so good in it´s ridicolous way! 

I suppose, we can expect something like this: https://de.depositphotos.com/10971075/stock-photo-goddess-diana-fountain-many-breasts.html in the future, then? :D 

I would use Witch Elves as base models btw, they are so dynamic and I don´t think the "tree-y" look of the Dryads wroks that well for Demonettes., but do what you like of course! I got a suggestion for a higher ranking demonette/ Herald, too: https://www.blacksunminiatures.co.uk/product/narok/. 

The "hellchicks" are nice too, but I always think integrated (or very natural (to the model itself I mean)) are really fitting for demons.

I like the Fiendish offspring. If they weren't metal, I'd be seriously tempted.

The 'Hellchicks' and Wych conversions - even Kierdale's awesome conversions - have the trouble of being too human for my taste. I know an argument can be made for "This is how the opponent is supposed to see them" or "the view from their 'most beautiful thing' vision", but that just doesn't fit the aesthetic to me. They're daemons.

Even if it is pretty to have sexy lady things on the tabletop.

I guess I'm starting to be won over by the current plastic Daemonettes. They really do look the part of the twisted Daemon that wants to tear your mortal form to pieces. To me the pieces should represent what the Daemon is rather than what the victim sees.

But I'm still on the look for alternatives. Just in case. Got a while until the Codex drops after all.