Took my wife to warhammer world today...

Tamika

While she appreciated the skill involved with the painting and modelling she just didn’t like it and said it was sad that grown men still played with toys. She felt they were just clinging on to childhood games and doesn’t want anything to do with such people.

Was tough to hear although I don’t play a lot I am just a painter modeller I don’t know really how to approach the subject anymore.

I thought it was going to make her more open to it but it seemed to do that opposite. She liked the food and drink at Bugman’s though.

Its times like this I am thankful that my significant other is a massive gamer herself. No guilt trips involved.

If they actually do love you they will accept it as a hobby of yours and it shouldn't really effect your relationship at all. Sorry to hear gents.

To be fair we have a happy medium, so long as the Kids are taken care of first, house needs and each other, what we do on alternating months where we've got spare funds the other does not say boo. I don't begrudge her plastic crack (Tupperware) as she does not mine (plastic army men).

Hah, my other half just sat in Bugmans and had a few drinks.

She’s fine with me being into the hobby, she just hates it when I ask her to go into the local GW store to pick something up for me - “Why does nobody use deodorant?” is the most common complaint. “Why is there always someone creepy with a beard, shoulting that he’s an Ork?” is another...

Hah, my other half just sat in Bugmans and had a few drinks.

She’s fine with me being into the hobby, she just hates it when I ask her to go into the local GW store to pick something up for me - “Why does nobody use deodorant?” is the most common complaint. “Why is there always someone creepy with a beard, shoulting that he’s an Ork?” is another...

Or why are they staring at me like that mine would ask.:biggrin.:

The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

I’ve got a couple of mates who love their cars (as do I but I can’t afford to indulge) with wives not too impressed at dropping £15,000 on a less practical car with higher running costs than the last one because he thinks it’s more exciting, instead of spending that money on the home/family.

She doesn’t need to love your hobby like you do; mine doesn’t. The important thing is that it’s not conflicting with your time together. And my hobbying has actually increased the time I spend with my wife. I used to spend a lot of time playing video games in the next room with headphones on. Now I’m in the same room modelling/painting/talking to her.

My wife isn't into the hobby in any way, but she's ok with me doing it. After all, there are worse things she could have to put up with. Remind your missus that when you're at home painting/modelling, you're not going out drinking or partying with mates, not spending hours watching football or playing golf or whatever else you might be into. As others have said, if nothing else it probably means you're spending more time together... as long as you don't ignore her when she talks to you. That's a bad idea. :P

I only got back in the hobby a few years into marriage, too. After leaving plastic behind around 15… So now in my thirties (with wife and kid) I picked that up again. Every time an order comes in I get this look. When I say i need to carve out time for a longer painting session it is obviously the same. But she is not really 'against the hobby'. How could she, apparently it is fun and relaxing for me to build and paint. Of course it has to do with reconnecting with something from our youth, and why not? Does it make you childish? Taking up so many new responsibilities we leave behind so many interest. To me it also has to do with work-life-balance.  

Also: Did she ever disapprove the hobby before or only after seeing warhammer world? Don't make her think she has to share your interest. Maybe she felt pushed into liking it?

I'm not sure why it matters, as mentioned she doesn't need to partake (or comment) if she's not interested. I'm sure she has a fabulous shoe collection or something else you're equally uninterested in, but it still works :tongue.:

Failing that; models are forever but thanks to King Henry VIII you can always get a new wife :wink: Just don't chop her head off, as much as it may please Khorne :laugh.:

I find that people who are most judgmental about this sort of thing, tend to have the most superficial interests.  Or they're armchair sports fans who derive vicarious masculinity through the athletic achievements of someone else. :D

This is at least a hobby that's creative, non-passive, and social.

Yeah the issue isn’t me trying to get her ‘in’ to the hobby, it’s that I spend any of my waking time on it at all. She doesn’t want me to go out and play a game ever now. She didn’t marry the kind of person that plays video games and has these kind of hobbies she says. I don’t play computer games at all anyway, this was my release and it’s now haram.

Jeez thats harsh. Sorry to hear that mate. But you didnt marry someone who looks down on people who have hobbies did you?

Start a Black Metal band and practice at your place, she will beg you to get your toys out then.

Yeah the issue isn’t me trying to get her ‘in’ to the hobby, it’s that I spend any of my waking time on it at all. She doesn’t want me to go out and play a game ever now. She didn’t marry the kind of person that plays video games and has these kind of hobbies she says. I don’t play computer games at all anyway, this was my release and it’s now haram.

That's pretty messed up of her, but that's none of my business.

Archived