Ultra Tactica: Taking on Tyranids

Prot

I guess for me I like the screen and low end firepower Reivers provide because I’m in a meta rthat does seem to see its share of assault elements. Nids for example, my game yesterday had 28 Genestealer.

( what I didn’t anticipate is the shooting luck being horrific. Even with Calgar I lost a dude to overcharge, and then promptly lost 5 wounds from Calgar on the ensuing turn. Luckily I limped him back to my Apothecary who may have had his best game restoring 6 wounds on Calgar ove4 the game, but that’s a bit off topic).

I like your idea of going as cheap as possible too with Scions. My way is leaning towards establishing that mid ground base. Sometimes I do it too early and this is what happens. Lol

What you said about Cataphractii Terminators piqued my interest. How many do you normally use, Prot?

I've been using 5 which is good but requires a lot of support.

However I'm toying with the idea of 8 and a Captain to really put a foot print in someone's deployment zone, but they are soooo expensive all together.

I have typically use a Cat load out almost identical to yours, including the grenade launcher.

The reason I find (in the past- as I haven't done this combo lately) that Cats blend so well with my Primaris glass cannon. The Inceptors (Plasma and otherwise) attract so much attention, that often even non-assault units are willing to assault them (because they are so weak in assault).

The Cataphractii, in my mind, could replace the assault bolters with the high volume of anti-infantry shots. (really do like those shots at 12"). But the Cataphractii are a much better wall to run into. I know you like them. I stopped using Cats in the past month or two because I found the build of Astra have caused me real issues with them (multi-damage, hi strength shots).

Now I'm coming full circle. I haven't used Plasma Inceptors for a while because they were ridiculously overpriced. The Chapter Approved has me using them again for testing, but I'm starting to feel if I'm going to commit that much.... then I may take it a step further and go back to my Cat set up at the front and have my main force join in/back it up as best they can (with Dreads,etc).

One more thing: I did this last game.... I had Calgar drop in, with the two squads of Inceptors. I had a Stormhawk lined up in such a way that it would join the deep strike bubble around Calgar. It made for one heck of a fire base, and there's no way a Flying Daemon Prince or similar could assault the flyer in that formation.

I actually really liked that combo for bug hunting I may use it again.