Ian Watson's "Space Marine"

Roomsky

I love this book:thumbsup:! All the atmosphere of Rogue Trader and early Necromunda, but not at all dated. Watson's style of writing is grand, colorful, and loud. It reminds me of that great British comic anthology, 2000 AD. It's not a style of writing that I can read every day. But, sometimes I'm in the mood to have my brain stimulated as only Ian Watson or a good song from The Clash can do it. 'Space Marine' is 40k at full speed, punk meets goth in a head on collision.

Just one question. Do you think Ian Watson was sober or stoned when he wrote 'Space Marine'? I'm thinking stoned:wacko.: 

Just one question. Do you think Ian Watson was sober or stoned when he wrote 'Space Marine'? I'm thinking stoned:wacko.:

I believe one interview stated that as 40k was an insane setting, it required temporary insanity to write about. Maybe he was on all of the things, or maybe he was just high on life.

Edited by Roomsky

I believe one interview stated that as 40k was an insane setting, it required temporary insanity to write about. Maybe he was on all of the things, or maybe he was just high on life.

That's what I love about Watson's books. You get the feeling that his characters are completly removed from our way of thinking due to the setting being so insane. He wrote that the only way for 40K characters to survive is to be all psychopats. Because only a madman could face the reality of a chaos-infected galaxy without being crushed. A very Lovecraft idea, but inverted. These are not normal humans destroyed by reality. They survive in the 40th millenium because they are already insane.  

There are other novels?

Ian Watson also wrote the Inquisition War Trilogy.

He also had two short stories in the "Deathwing" anthology. "Warped Stars" and "The Alien Beast Within" both containing characters found in the Inquisition War trilogy. (Grimm the Squat/Grill the Tech-Priest and Meh'Lindi, respectively).

There are other novels?

Ian Watson also wrote the Inquisition War Trilogy.

He also had two short stories in the "Deathwing" anthology. "Warped Stars" and "The Alien Beast Within" both containing characters found in the Inquisition War trilogy. (Grimm the Squat/Grill the Tech-Priest and Meh'Lindi, respectively).

I totally forgot about the shorts, nice one for the reminder. :tu:

Loved Space Marine, I read it many times growing up. I also enjoyed Inquisitor but found it a little dry and much harder going so didn’t enjoy it nearly as much as space marine.

Inquisition had some awesome scenes and atmosphere but I just didn’t bond with the characters like I did in Space Marine, so I never fell in love with it like I did Space Marine. Still got my original copies of all the books here somewhere.

Thanks to Watson, I'll forever have the image of muscular neophyte rumps eagerly being branded by a surly IF sergeant.

Ill take the image of building having sex to the grave with me because of him as well.

People will be crowding around my bed waiting to hear my final words and Ill mumble something like 'coor look at those balconys' then die laughing my ass off like a kid.

Edited by Slave to Darkness

Ill take the image of building having sex to the grave with me because of him as well.

People will be crowding around my bed waiting to hear my final words and Ill mumble something like 'coor look at those balconys' then die laughing my ass off like a kid.

Agreed. That scene is burned into my brain forever as well. That and the "Pain Stool" the Chaplain sits on at one point in "Space Marine" was another major "What in the hell did I just read..." moment. *laughs*

*sighs* All the talk of this delightful insanity is making me want to re-read "Space Marine" "Deathwing" and the Inquisition War Trilogy again despite having a mountain of stuff that is still in my to-read pile.

Edited by Reldn

Agreed. That scene is burned into my brain forever as well. That and the "Pain Stool" the Chaplain sits on at one point was another major "What in the hell did I just read..." moment. *laughs*

*sighs* All the talk of this delightful insanity is making me want to re-read "Space Marine" "Deathwing" and the Inquisition War Trilogy again despite having a mountain of stuff that is still in my to-read pile.

Do it, the old fluff is much better than current lore imho.

Such a good book, read at a formative age and a few times since :D I would be so on board for the Graphic novel though... Looks amazing!

I think its telling that i havent read this book in a decade probably and recognise all the scenes depicted instantly :D 

Would anyone be interested in a thread to throw about ideas on how you would have liked to see the 2nd and 3rd Inquisition War books go?

No reason not to expand the discussion to other early releases. Haven't read them yet though, so can't comment.

Would anyone be interested in a thread to throw about ideas on how you would have liked to see the 2nd and 3rd Inquisition War books go?

I just wished it did'nt end the way it did. Can't say too much as Roomsky aint read it. 

I'd be interested. Haven't read those books in a while, but, I'm preparing to start reading the trilogy again very shortly. All I can say at the moment is that I really wish the series would have continued.

But it couldnt due to how it ended. Theres no coming back from a Spoiler to the Spoiler. They already handwaviumed away that 'Mehlindi' problem, would be cheap if they did it with Draco.

Someone please make a thread for the Inq trilogy, I dont wanna ruin it for others and too lazy to do it on my phone.