Index Astartes:Silent Hunters poll

Abhumans as auxiliaries/servants/slaves are fine. Abhumans as Marines and Chapter serfs (recruited/conscripted into the Chapter, but due to some personal flaw, not chosen to receive gene-seed) are NOT fine. I doubt gene-seed will work on an abhuman unless Fabius Bile's twisted genius or the Thousand Sons' sorcery were applied.

WHY do you want abhumans in your Chapter, anyways? Considering the Imperium's infamous intolerance towards anything not recognizably human- a regrettably justified intolerance, due to the Chaos Gods' plots- it seems out-of-character for any Space Marine Chapter to tolerate an abhuman's presence, unless the IA is meant to be humorous, like 4chan's creations (I can picture a Chapter of anime otaku filling their fortress-monastery with felinids in maid uniforms).

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

I concur with Bjorn - Abhumans would never pass the genetic compatibility tests. In fact, they may not even be tested - women aren't after all.

I can understand the thought experiment behind it, especially in the case of Squats - however, the current canon wouldn't support it.

That's not to say however that the chapter can't make use of these Abhumans - for instance, reconnaissance squads of felinids could be used to identify targets, that are then taken out by a strike force of Astartes

I concur with Bjorn - Abhumans would never pass the genetic compatibility tests. In fact, they may not even be tested - women aren't after all.

I can understand the thought experiment behind it, especially in the case of Squats - however, the current canon wouldn't support it.

That's not to say however that the chapter can't make use of these Abhumans - for instance, reconnaissance squads of felinids could be used to identify targets, that are then taken out by a strike force of Astartes

i was speaking it through with a friend perhaps it could be possible to do so if they were renegades but i was hoping they could have weapons like stalker bolters but how would it be possible if they were renegades? But another way is instead of a single radical lord inquisitor which forced the chapter to do this perhaps a conclave of radical inquisitors one being a lord inquisitor Edited by Naoki the curseblood 99

Weaponry would be more under the jurisdiction of the Adeptus Mechanicus than anything else. Chapters that have good relationships with the Mechanicum (the Iron Hands especially) are granted more privileges and are often the first to get their hands on new, experimental weaponry, armor, and other technological benefits. If the Silent Hunters have a good relationship with the good ol' Mechanicum or, say, are located near a forge world that they take under their protection, it would make sense for them to have access to weaponry such as Stalker bolters.

Weaponry would be more under the jurisdiction of the Adeptus Mechanicus than anything else. Chapters that have good relationships with the Mechanicum (the Iron Hands especially) are granted more privileges and are often the first to get their hands on new, experimental weaponry, armor, and other technological benefits. If the Silent Hunters have a good relationship with the good ol' Mechanicum or, say, are located near a forge world that they take under their protection, it would make sense for them to have access to weaponry such as Stalker bolters.

perhaps the conclave could have such ties?

That would make sense; inquisitors could certainly make life miserable for the Mechanicum if they so wished, so they would likely be willing to exchange weapons for more relaxed scrutiny, perhaps.

Edited by Tarvek Val

i was speaking it through with a friend perhaps it could be possible to do so if they were renegades but i was hoping they could have weapons like stalker bolters but how would it be possible if they were renegades? But another way is instead of a single radical lord inquisitor which forced the chapter to do this perhaps a conclave of radical inquisitors one being a lord inquisitor

For every Radical Inquisitor that will force a Chapter to recruit abhumans- maybe because they believe studying abhumans will grant them the knowledge to artificially accelerate human evolution, as Fabius Bile intends- there will be a Puritan Inquisitor that will force the Chapter to exterminate abhumans. If a Radical tries to force the Silent Hunters to do something they disagree with, they can inform on this :censored:hole and get his Puritan enemies within the Inquisition to "look the other way" as the Silent Hunters arrange an "unfortunate accident" that results in the Radical's death.

i was speaking it through with a friend perhaps it could be possible to do so if they were renegades but i was hoping they could have weapons like stalker bolters but how would it be possible if they were renegades? But another way is instead of a single radical lord inquisitor which forced the chapter to do this perhaps a conclave of radical inquisitors one being a lord inquisitor

Going the inquisitor route, or adding in any 3rd party always gets convuleted, I am not saying it is not possible, I am saying that refinement is the aim of the day.

If you want to add in Inquisitors I would have it as a sub plot. One could potentially discover their mysterious backstory I seek to use it for their own ends.

To get stalker boltguns I do not think you need much "filling" to get it done. As the marines lost their voices the battlefield became quieter, the chapter master sort to use thir new circumstances to his advantage and sent a demi company equipped with the chapters stalker bolters to do X (It is reasonable they have some in their vault). The success hinged on silence and soon numerous requests were made to their forgeworld for more of these weapons

Going the inquisitor route, or adding in any 3rd party always gets convuleted, I am not saying it is not possible, I am saying that refinement is the aim of the day.

If you want to add in Inquisitors I would have it as a sub plot. One could potentially discover their mysterious backstory I seek to use it for their own ends.

To get stalker boltguns I do not think you need much "filling" to get it done. As the marines lost their voices the battlefield became quieter, the chapter master sort to use thir new circumstances to his advantage and sent a demi company equipped with the chapters stalker bolters to do X (It is reasonable they have some in their vault). The success hinged on silence and soon numerous requests were made to their forgeworld for more of these weapons

I will say, I do kind of like the idea of an inquisitorial conclave meddling with a Space Marines chapter behind the scenes. The Space Marines usually do everything possible to avoid becoming entangled amongst other Imperial organizations, so it would be interesting to explore this rather unique dynamic in detail. Of course, you are right in that it brings in more work!

My pleasure! It's coming along nicely, can't wait for the final version.

For every Radical Inquisitor that will force a Chapter to recruit abhumans- maybe because they believe studying abhumans will grant them the knowledge to artificially accelerate human evolution, as Fabius Bile intends- there will be a Puritan Inquisitor that will force the Chapter to exterminate abhumans. If a Radical tries to force the Silent Hunters to do something they disagree with, they can inform on this :cusshole and get his Puritan enemies within the Inquisition to "look the other way" as the Silent Hunters arrange an "unfortunate accident" that results in the Radical's death.

i see your points with Tarvek Val's permission i'll be willing to involve you both along with lord thorn in the discussion me and tarvek val have been having if you're all willing of course Edited by Naoki the curseblood 99

Go ahead and discuss the matter with Minigiant and Tarvek Val. My views on the 40k universe mean I'm unlikely to be open-minded towards your ideas regarding abhumans, radicalism, Chaos, etc. Edited by Lord Thørn
Be careful not to speak of real world politics :)

If the chapter is open to these experiments, they could even be a part of the conclave as an organisation. I think it's plausible - as long as you emphasise how the chapter is on a knife edge from being considered renegade (and therefore excomunicate traitoris): this would be an entire part of their identity, just as much as their experimentations would be. For that aspect, the treatment of the Black Dragons could be of inspiration

If the chapter is open to these experiments, they could even be a part of the conclave as an organisation. I think it's plausible - as long as you emphasise how the chapter is on a knife edge from being considered renegade (and therefore excomunicate traitoris): this would be an entire part of their identity, just as much as their experimentations would be. For that aspect, the treatment of the Black Dragons could be of inspiration

i see your point would you like to join me, Minigiant and Tarvek Val in our discussion about ideas i had in mind for the chapter?

I was thinking along your lines as well, Lord Thorn. For me, this chapter sounds like it would not be out of place alongside the Black Dragons, Fire Hawks, Blood Gorgons, Lamenters, etc. Giving them a unique relationship with the Inquisition and perhaps a hidden gene-flaw would be a very interesting route to take.

Why do you want abhumans?

If you can answer that then maybe we can be of more help

I wanted to show how deep into the abyss the chapter has gone in order to find answers as i was thinking that the members of the chapter were suffering from visions leading them to the world they now inhabit

Okay so you are not necessarily attached to the abhumans idea but to the idea of depravity. Depravity is something far easier to incorporate

I like the idea of visions, this could easily also be worked into a connection with the Night Lords Legion if you so wished (one of the VIII Legion's original heroes, as well as Konrad Curze, were visionaries whose waking moments were plagued by the bleak futures they saw ahead of them). I just cannot see any Chapter willingly recruiting abhumans though... They'd be too fearful of judgement of the Inquisition and other Chapters.