Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Baneblade vs Banesword/Shadowswor

Imperial GuardBaneblade Shadowsword Banesword Superheavy Lord of War Tanks

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

TheUbikator

TheUbikator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts

So I've been contemplating buying super heavy for my mechanized company for quite some time now and I have problem choosing which one to build. In my local gaming group, no one used Baneblades in 8th ed so I don't have much to go by.  What are your opinions guys? Which ones are generally more effective cost wise (you know with "regular" Baneblade being about 50 points more)?

• duz_ likes this

Tirak

Tirak

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 284 posts
  • Chapter Name: Imperial Guard
http://www.bolterand...-2#entry3851705

No need to choose, enjoy them all with Magnets!
  • Chaplain Gunzhard and duz_ like this

'Revenge is a dish best served with mayonnaise and those little cheesy things on sticks.' -Osric the Loopy, Imperial Governor.

TheUbikator

TheUbikator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts

Hmm that is sure something to consider, but magnetising is not really my thing. 

• Squirrely Wrath likes this

Tirak

Tirak

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 284 posts
It's a 140 dollar purchase, and while the Shadowsword is hands down the best one, it's still fun to mess around with the whole lot.

'Revenge is a dish best served with mayonnaise and those little cheesy things on sticks.' -Osric the Loopy, Imperial Governor.

phairsto

phairsto

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 46 posts
  • Chapter Name: Astra Militarum, Custodes

IMO, Shadowsword is best. Has the best main gun, and has access to the same secondaries as the Baneblade. in 8th ed hull vs. turret mount doesn't really matter, and the Shadowsword is cheaper.

"...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my battle-brother eternal."

Astra Militarum (2000pts)
Custodes (1000pts)

FallenSoldiers

FallenSoldiers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 285 posts
Magnets are great...

I LOVE my SS (plan on getting a 2nd) but I also want to experiment with the Banehammer for the “halve enemy movement” gun combined with the firing deck... because why not??

librisrouge

librisrouge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,931 posts
  • Chapter Name: Cadian 333rd, the "Half-Damned"

Have you considered, perhaps, the STORMHAMMER!

The best in mobile, armed, bunker technology.

"Frak this, for my faith is a shield proof against your blandishments."

-Book of Cain - Chapter IV, Verse XXI

"I think you really need to be a guard player in order to have that kind of attitude about casualties. My forces were killed to a man for slight strategic gain? All I heard was a buzzing noise until that part about strategic gain."

-Ailarian, Hand of the Kind XXXI

http://thisisahelmet.blogspot.com/ - My Sometimes Update Blog

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg gallery_4664_11830_5080.jpg sml_gallery_29004_10691_7586.pnggallery_48988_10980_7442.png

CoffeeGrunt

CoffeeGrunt

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,342 posts
  • Chapter Name: 4th Tarosian/Hades Hive Hyenas
It doesn't have 8th Edition rules IIRC.

zero88

zero88

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 136 posts
Baneblade or Banehammer.. because everyone uses the Shadowsword

TheUbikator

TheUbikator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts

By the Emperor it is magnificent woot.gif Finally enough dakka XD 

• librisrouge likes this

TheUbikator

TheUbikator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts

My designated 2000 pts list consists of 5 chimeras (with infantry inside them) with supporting 4 leman russ tanks (battle cannon variants). Going with standard Baneblade would mean removing one leman russ from the list when with Shadowsword/Banesword I can fit everything in. The big dilemma basically is "is Baneblade worth one leman russ less?". 

Edited by TheUbikator, 07 November 2017 - 09:26 PM.

Mitchverr

Mitchverr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 447 posts

It doesn't have 8th Edition rules IIRC.

Its in the index, looking at it right now :). Its called the Arkurian pattern stormhammer in the 40k dex.

stormhammer cannon

twin battle cannon

co ax multi laser

six multi lasers

a lascannon

And just incase, adamantium tracks, for duck huntin'

460 points, can replace the multi lasers for h.bolter, h.flamer or lascannons, can take a hunter killer missile and a heavy stubber, coaxual weapons rule for the stormhammer/co axial multi laser.

Though it has plenty of dakka, its main firing is effectively a basalisk and a leman russ using grinding advance, which is a good 200 points cheaper, its cool, but I dont know about efficient.

• librisrouge and iceman2160 like this

Tirak

Tirak

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 284 posts
Grinding Advance means baneblades are inferior to their points in Leman Russes. The shadowsword comes out better because of the 3d3 s16 ap-5 2d6 damage gun. If you want efficiency, only the Shadowsword is worth it, but that's why we suggest magnetizing it as per the tutorial posted, so you can enjoy all of them at your leisure.

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,886 posts
Having literally just done my first Hepta-blade it wasnt that difficult to do
Took a few magnets, but was easy enough do
That way you'll never have to decide! :D

At the very least 3-4 of them are an easy barrel swap!

librisrouge

librisrouge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,931 posts
  • Chapter Name: Cadian 333rd, the "Half-Damned"

By the Emperor it is magnificent woot.gif Finally enough dakka XD 

See, I'm with you emotionally. Logically, however, you need to bite thine tongue. What's this 'enough' dakka? Dakka is a journey, my friend, not a destination.

• fisheyedbunny, Vel'Cona, Tyr13 and 6 others like this

"Frak this, for my faith is a shield proof against your blandishments."

-Book of Cain - Chapter IV, Verse XXI

"I think you really need to be a guard player in order to have that kind of attitude about casualties. My forces were killed to a man for slight strategic gain? All I heard was a buzzing noise until that part about strategic gain."

-Ailarian, Hand of the Kind XXXI

http://thisisahelmet.blogspot.com/ - My Sometimes Update Blog

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg gallery_4664_11830_5080.jpg sml_gallery_29004_10691_7586.pnggallery_48988_10980_7442.png

Tyr13

Tyr13

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 124 posts
  • Chapter Name: Iron Hands, Steel Legion

As others have said, shadowsword is generally the best one. Though Im partial to the transport versions... they all have decent applications, while also bringing a huge amount of infantry along with them. Or lots of Bullgryns. :P
Planning to build mine as just those three variants, saves me some magnets. And theyre still all decent enough. :)

Withershadow

Withershadow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,320 posts

The transport options have some play, but otherwise all Index tanks are inferior compared to an equal amount of Leman Russes.

FallenSoldiers

FallenSoldiers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 285 posts
“Dakka is a journey, my friend, not a destination.”

LOL!!! Best thing I’ve read all day!!!
  • librisrouge and shandwen like this

Vel'Cona

Vel'Cona

++ DUCTOR EXSANGUIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,859 posts
  • Chapter Name: Cadian 317th

I think what really hurts the Baneblade/etc. compared to the Stormsword is its Demolisher Cannon got heavily devalued by the LRD's ability to double-tap its cannon.  The only other advantage to the BB is its Autocannon (snore), so the points really do work out in favour of the Volcano Cannon.  In particular, the latter's ability to one-shot nearly any high value target cannot be underestimated, if nothing else for the threat it presents.

I believe the Stormlord/Banelord are solid enough since they provide a place for your HWS/Bullgryns to hide (along with support) and save points on semi-useless Chimera/Taurox in the same role, but as many have said if you're not sure of your strategy the LR can cover more bases for less cost.

Losing 'hope' after 10k years just because of a big warp storm? Doesn't sound like my Blood Angels.

Never had hope to begin with; they had duty, and that was enough.

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_02.jpgETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpggallery_48988_10069_10495.pngETL_Medal_02.gif

micahwc

micahwc

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,038 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels

I think a shadowsword may be the answer to my Leviathan problem I've been having.

The Codex Astartes no doubt has guidance that covers that kind of situation - long, detailed advice that would essentially boil down to "shoot the choppy ones, chop the shooty ones".

FallenSoldiers

FallenSoldiers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 285 posts
My SS has one shot my friends Hellforged Leviathan 3 Games in a row now...
  • micahwc likes this

micahwc

micahwc

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,038 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels

So...yes then?

The Codex Astartes no doubt has guidance that covers that kind of situation - long, detailed advice that would essentially boil down to "shoot the choppy ones, chop the shooty ones".

FallenSoldiers

FallenSoldiers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 285 posts
The only thing better than a Shadowsword is a PAIR of Shadowswords!!
  • Halfpint100 likes this

Steel Company

Steel Company

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 519 posts

The only thing better than a Shadowsword is a PAIR of Shadowswords!!

I can think of a couple that are better, but they all have "titan" in their names....

To all you Space Wolf Players... Its called a Razor and the Soap isn't a Daemon.
--Dremen

The Iron Hands, they are the real emo marines. Seriously. The Dark Angels aren't the ones who sit around cutting off bits of themselves, wearing black, and complaining about weakness and ennui...

--Octavulg

FallenSoldiers

FallenSoldiers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 285 posts
Keep that titanic keyword... my Shadowsword shall see you fall!!!!! Muwahahahaha muwahahahaha muwahahahaha!!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Imperial GuardBaneblade, Shadowsword, Banesword, Superheavy, Lord of War, Tanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users