So I've been contemplating buying super heavy for my mechanized company for quite some time now and I have problem choosing which one to build. In my local gaming group, no one used Baneblades in 8th ed so I don't have much to go by.  What are your opinions guys? Which ones are generally more effective cost wise (you know with "regular" Baneblade being about 50 points more)?

IMO, Shadowsword is best. Has the best main gun, and has access to the same secondaries as the Baneblade. in 8th ed hull vs. turret mount doesn't really matter, and the Shadowsword is cheaper.

My designated 2000 pts list consists of 5 chimeras (with infantry inside them) with supporting 4 leman russ tanks (battle cannon variants). Going with standard Baneblade would mean removing one leman russ from the list when with Shadowsword/Banesword I can fit everything in. The big dilemma basically is "is Baneblade worth one leman russ less?". 

Edited by TheUbikator

It doesn't have 8th Edition rules IIRC.

Its in the index, looking at it right now :). Its called the Arkurian pattern stormhammer in the 40k dex.

stormhammer cannon

twin battle cannon

co ax multi laser

six multi lasers

a lascannon

And just incase, adamantium tracks, for duck huntin'

460 points, can replace the multi lasers for h.bolter, h.flamer or lascannons, can take a hunter killer missile and a heavy stubber, coaxual weapons rule for the stormhammer/co axial multi laser.

Though it has plenty of dakka, its main firing is effectively a basalisk and a leman russ using grinding advance, which is a good 200 points cheaper, its cool, but I dont know about efficient.

Grinding Advance means baneblades are inferior to their points in Leman Russes. The shadowsword comes out better because of the 3d3 s16 ap-5 2d6 damage gun. If you want efficiency, only the Shadowsword is worth it, but that's why we suggest magnetizing it as per the tutorial posted, so you can enjoy all of them at your leisure.

Having literally just done my first Hepta-blade it wasnt that difficult to do

Took a few magnets, but was easy enough do

That way you'll never have to decide! :D

At the very least 3-4 of them are an easy barrel swap!

Have you considered, perhaps, the STORMHAMMER!

The best in mobile, armed, bunker technology.

By the Emperor it is magnificent :woot: Finally enough dakka XD 

See, I'm with you emotionally. Logically, however, you need to bite thine tongue. What's this 'enough' dakka? Dakka is a journey, my friend, not a destination.

As others have said, shadowsword is generally the best one. Though Im partial to the transport versions... they all have decent applications, while also bringing a huge amount of infantry along with them. Or lots of Bullgryns. :P
Planning to build mine as just those three variants, saves me some magnets. And theyre still all decent enough. :)

I think what really hurts the Baneblade/etc. compared to the Stormsword is its Demolisher Cannon got heavily devalued by the LRD's ability to double-tap its cannon.  The only other advantage to the BB is its Autocannon (snore), so the points really do work out in favour of the Volcano Cannon.  In particular, the latter's ability to one-shot nearly any high value target cannot be underestimated, if nothing else for the threat it presents.

I believe the Stormlord/Banelord are solid enough since they provide a place for your HWS/Bullgryns to hide (along with support) and save points on semi-useless Chimera/Taurox in the same role, but as many have said if you're not sure of your strategy the LR can cover more bases for less cost.