Raising a Regiment - 234th Armageddon Steel Legion

Mordian Glory

Greetings fellow commanders,

As you can probably tell from my user name, I am a bit of a Mordian Iron Guard enthusiast. However, with the recent nerfs to commissars my Mordian Infantry army is suffering and I have taken it as sign to explore other forms of Imperial Guard. I have decided to try out a mechanized army and have decided to try my hand at the Armageddon Steel Legion, partly because they are the quintessential mech regiment and partly because I already own 60+ Steel Legionnaires!

The rough plan I have for the army is to have 2 "platoons" backed up by Leman Russ tanks and some other support elements. The platoons will have 3 Armoured fists squads in each and of course all will be mounted up in Chimeras!

I am thinking of naming the regiment the 234th Armageddon Mechanized -  "Iron Bloods". The regiment specializes in both combat in the Ash wastes and Urban warfare. They function similarly to dragoons where they travel to the battlefield in the Chimeras, disembark and from a firing line and then mount back up to exploit gaps in the damaged enemies line or to withdraw. On the tabletop this will be represented by me often deploying the infantry as a screen to protect the tanks from charges and when the squads get mauled, jumping back in the chimeras. Not sure if this plan will work but it seems doable :)

I have already made a start on the army and have finished my first infantry squad and Chimera, apart from a few decals! See below for pics:

CQeUzqR.jpg
LK7qRJo.jpg
doq0Uue.jpg
GeOjmAy.jpg
k6FxoNm.jpg

I recently acquired a Steel Legion force (I've wanting to buy some for years!), and whilst I'm currently engrossed in a Catachan force, my attention may wander... :sweat:

I really like what you've achieved so far, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing your progress with these. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the Steel Legion. Check the charge on your power cells. Kit up and mount up. We ride in five. Smoke 'em, if you got them.

Oh hell yeah, pass me an Lho stick and a cup of Recaf! : D Ive had good luck with my Steel Legion so far.

3-4 Chimeras with Infantry Squads is a good foundation. I also like Hellhounds in there just to put alot of armour downfield.

Dont overlook Sentinels too. Back it up with some tanks and Manticore or so and youre rolling.

Like the paint job. I'm struggling with paint options for mine. I like traditional. But sometimes I think a little different is better as well. Like desert camo, or urban camo. I have to stew before I paint mine.

I know what you mean, and that's one reason I've liked seeing Mordian Glory's take on it.

Weirdly, the "official" tank scheme was Codex Grey with Rotting Flesh camo stripes drybrushed over it. However, all the photos in the Codex and WD where manipulated so much that they always looked more grey and tan to me! :P

(As an aside, I always thought the "Berlin Brigade camo" scheme or the old WW2 British North African "Caunter camo" would look quite good for Steel Legion vehicles.)

A good start, the Steel Legion are great models and their doctrine is pretty good too. Looking forward to seeing more :thumbsup:

Thanks! They are really nice models to paint, A good balance between detail and looking functional.

I recently acquired a Steel Legion force (I've wanting to buy some for years!), and whilst I'm currently engrossed in a Catachan force, my attention may wander... :sweat:

I really like what you've achieved so far, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing your progress with these. :thumbsup:

Your models are looking great.

Are you planning to use Infantry Squads or Veterans in the Chimeras?

Also, in the first picture, what's your sergeant carrying on his right hand?

I am going for a brigade so it will be more then likely infantry squads in chimeras.

Also as other have said, it is a severed ork head in his hand :)

That's a severed ork's head in his hand.

+1

Welcome to the Steel Legion. Check the charge on your power cells. Kit up and mount up. We ride in five. Smoke 'em, if you got them.

Reading that makes me pretty pumped!

Oh hell yeah, pass me an Lho stick and a cup of Recaf! : D Ive had good luck with my Steel Legion so far.

3-4 Chimeras with Infantry Squads is a good foundation. I also like Hellhounds in there just to put alot of armour downfield.

Dont overlook Sentinels too. Back it up with some tanks and Manticore or so and youre rolling.

I plan on taking a brigade so going to have lots of infantry squads in chimeras backed up by leman russes, sentinels and hell hounds :) 

Like the paint job. I'm struggling with paint options for mine. I like traditional. But sometimes I think a little different is better as well. Like desert camo, or urban camo. I have to stew before I paint mine.

This is a bit different to the GW paint scheme. I use Zandri Dust and instead of Steel Legion Drab and I paint my tanks the same colour as my infantry (GW has grey tanks). If you are struggling to choose a paint scheme, I recommend picking a base colour that you can use a spray paint for! it saves so much time (thats why i choose zandri dust).

Do you guys prefer Heavy Bolters or Heavy Flamers on your Chimeras?

I am going for maximum long range Dakka so 2x Heavy Bolter and a heavy stubber, might use a storm bolter instead to take advantage of the Steel Legion doctrine 

I know what you mean, and that's one reason I've liked seeing Mordian Glory's take on it.

Weirdly, the "official" tank scheme was Codex Grey with Rotting Flesh camo stripes drybrushed over it. However, all the photos in the Codex and WD where manipulated so much that they always looked more grey and tan to me! :tongue.:

(As an aside, I always thought the "Berlin Brigade camo" scheme or the old WW2 British North African "Caunter camo" would look quite good for Steel Legion vehicles.)

I wanted a desert scheme to go with the whole "ash waste warriors" vibe. I choose zandri dust because it come in spray and it would save me a lot of time and will look much neater then painting my tanks with brushes :) 

Greetings Fellow Commanders,

The 234th are coming together piece by piece. I have completed another squad, this time armed with a Plasma Gun and Heavy Bolter. Their Steed has been built but not yet painted, it is another Dakka Chimera (2x Heavy Bolter, Heavy Stubber). 

I have played a couple of practice games with my regiment, using exsisting models I have from my Mordian Army. Sadly I have lost both but 1 was kill points vs Death Watch (I had him down to 4-5 models but he still won) and 1 was Vs an Uber Pox Walker List of Doom (150 cultists 30 pox walkers, every time a cultist dies it comes back as a pox walker) played by a very very good player. Despite these losses I have learnt a huge deal about the Steel Legion and I am very impressed. I think they have the potential to be very powerful :biggrin.:

Pic of Squad 2 Below:

9aP8lPO.jpg

You do your regiment proud solder. Thanks for the pics, keep up the good work.

The Deathwatch guy sounds more skilled than the Deathguard fellow. Pox Walkers are one of the most easy things to abuse in this game if done right. Watch out for the Tzeetch 3x Multiplier lists. Thankfully few people are willing to buy that many miniatures to work on or are willing to lose friends.

At my positives for the day so I’ll tag your most deserving photo tomorrow.

You do your regiment proud solder. Thanks for the pics, keep up the good work.

The Deathwatch guy sounds more skilled than the Deathguard fellow. Pox Walkers are one of the most easy things to abuse in this game if done right. Watch out for the Tzeetch 3x Multiplier lists. Thankfully few people are willing to buy that many miniatures to work on or are willing to lose friends.

At my positives for the day so I’ll tag your most deserving photo tomorrow.

The Deathwatch player is very experienced, but he normally runs Blood Angels and only recently got the Deathwatch about a month ago. Still, he is learning quickly! 

Mordian, thanks for taking the time to start up this Steel Legion blog.

Quick question. How do you weather your troopers' helmets? They look really sharp.

Thanks for reading, The weathering on the helmets is actually really easy. I base coat the helmet Iron Breaker, do 2 layers of White Scar and they Wash in Nuln Oil a couple of times making sure to spread out the wash evenly :) 

Greetings fellow loyal comrade of the Imperium,

I’m assuming you’re the same “Mordian Glory” as the guy on YouTube. I just wanted to say I’m a big fan of your channel, you helped inspire me to get into playing Guard.

I’ve got my first ever game tomorrow night playing against a Necron army (foul Xenos!) I’ll try to remember some of the tips I’ve picked up from your YouTube channel.

Good luck with Steel Legion. Crush ‘em for the Emperor.

Greetings fellow loyal comrade of the Imperium,

I’m assuming you’re the same “Mordian Glory” as the guy on YouTube. I just wanted to say I’m a big fan of your channel, you helped inspire me to get into playing Guard.

I’ve got my first ever game tomorrow night playing against a Necron army (foul Xenos!) I’ll try to remember some of the tips I’ve picked up from your YouTube channel.

Good luck with Steel Legion. Crush ‘em for the Emperor.

Yep thats me :) Thanks for watching and its great to hear you have found my videos useful!

Good luck against the necrons and remember they cannot reanimate if you wipe the squad out.

Greetings Commanders,

The second Dakka Chimera is now complete :D I have found with my current technique that I can finish one of these bad boys in 2-3 evenings which is pretty fast. I normally spend one day building the chimera and then it take a couple more to do all the painting. It then take another 2-3 evenings to finish the squad which means I can pump out an armoured fist squad a week :) At that rate i shouldn't be long until I can start using them in battle reports.

I have put the decals on both tanks now as well. I doing the markings as follows - Regiment on the front left, Squad Number on the back left, Platoon on the back right (e.g. 234, 1, A). Overall I am very happy with how the army is coming together and I am starting "get the feel" of the Steel Legion. 

Anyway, Pics below for all you loyal citizens:

vU7nXRh.jpg
uy6pdJ5.jpg
aKbsgjw.jpg
JRsS8pn.jpg
PeeZ7Zv.jpg
QxypPlo.jpg

Greeting Commanders, 

It has been a busy weekend recording lots of battle reports so not much time for my Steel Legion sadly. I did manage to build and base coat the 3rd chimera and I am about half way through Infantry Squad 3 as well. 

I was planning on having all the Chimera with closed hatches, but I ended up watching black hawk down clips on Youtube and the  "Get on that .50!" scene inspired me to have this heavy stubber with a man firing it :P. The head it from Anvil Industries. 

wWqSHBF.jpg
JUPP8p5.jpg

Greetings Commanders,

I bring to you good news, the 234th have won their first battle! After several training exercises (practice battles) and pouring over ancient tombs (reading the internet) I have come up with a list that I like :)

I wont go into the fine details but just give an overview. The game itself was against a Blood Angels player, the mission was relic.

My list was

2x Company Comanders

2x Platoon Commanders

2x Astropath

1x techpriest

1x Tank Commander with battle cannon and heavy bolters

6x Dakka Chimeras

6x Infantry squads with plasma and bolter

3x Lascannon Armoured Sentinels

3X leman Russes, 2 with plasma turrets, 1 with battle cannon. All had plasma sponsons and Hull heavy bolter.

Opponent list was 

Stormraven (all the dakka)

Land Raider Crusader

Ass Can Razorback

Ass Can Razorback

Ass Can + Bolters Baal

Death Company Dread

Whilrwind

7x Sang Guard

Captain

Mephiston

Sang Ancient

Corbulo.

The Angels went first and zoomed everything forward, claiming the relic. They then opened up with a lot of dakka but thanks to the Steel Legion Trait I only took a smattering of hull points. My opponent was very impressed with the whole AP-1 = AP0 things and so was I.

My Turn 1 I kept everything still and all the infantry stayed inside the transports. This is an important lesson I have learned, I dont need to move forward as I have 36" range which is normally enough and i dont need to expose my infantry too early.  My dakka then opened up, all my chimeras pilled into the land raider and did 6 wounds Each one was putting out 15 shots which is nice!. I then fired all 3 lascannon sentinels at it and got 2 hits, 2 wounds, my opponent failed both saves and thanks to a command point I rolled 2 5s, killing the land raider! I love Lascannon Sentinels now :D

All my tanks unleashed into the Storm raven and just managed to do enough damage to knock it out of the sky.

Angels turn 2, dreadnought crawled out the wreckage of the storm raven, he charged and killed a sentinel and then tied up 2 chimeras. The sang guard boosted forward from the now dead land raider. between shooting (with support from the ass cans) and charges they where able to  kill 1 chimera and put another on 1 wound left. they also continued to do scattered hullpoint on the rest of the armour.

My turn 2 and things go OK. All the infantry piles out and gets into position, ready to shoot the Sang guard (thanks the emperor of 18" rapid fire). I fail to kill the dreadnought but it only has 2 wounds left. Everything else shoots into the sanguard and then thecharacters. The Guard are killed and so the ancient. Mephiston lives on 1 wound and corbulo takes no damage. On a whim I charge Mephiston and corbulo with a squad, platoon officer and the tech priest. All the normal attacks bounce of but then it is the turn of the techpriest. His axe misses but the servo arm hits, then wounds, and then Mephiston fails all his saves! me and my opponent have a good laugh at the image of this servo arm very slowly moving forward and then squeezing Mephiston head off :P 

I also manage to tie up 2 of the razor backs in combat with an infantry squad.

Blood angels turn 3 is short, with his army mostly dead or tied up he just unloads into a infantry squad with his baal, killoing it, and the whilewind and captain gang up on the infantry squad that was tieing up his vehicles killing them too.

Turn 3 guard rolls wound and the game is ended. I am able to gun down corbulo and the captain with my infantry and chimeras, then my tanks blow up both his razorbacks and the baals. The dread is finished off my a sentinel. With just a whirlwind left my opponent concedes.

It was a great game and i really feel like the fire power and durability of my list was on display. I am looking forward to building and painting the rest of the army now :D

I only took a few pictures of the battle, see below:

1AZhVTm.jpg
shrKSIO.jpg
WAuhqwm.jpg
PaeZrDa.jpg
GNfFk4I.jpg
uTpEmo8.jpg
FJQR4Ef.jpg
Lits1s9.jpg
fhnhXR8.jpg

Well done on the decisive victory! I was always taken with the SL's trait and rated it so I'm pleased to see it working for you (shame it's not a good fit for my regiment!). Looks like the dice gods were on your side too after a great first turn you were in a good position and made the most of it for a solid path to victory :tu:

I have to admit that seeing your force in those photos, I'm totally intrigued by your red+tan striped tanks! :tongue.: Are these from a different project, or...?

The red/tan/white tanks are from my Mordian Regiment, the Mordian 50th Rifles. I am just using them here as stand in for my steel legion whilst I play test the army and build the 234th :)

Well done on the decisive victory! I was always taken with the SL's trait and rated it so I'm pleased to see it working for you (shame it's not a good fit for my regiment!). Looks like the dice gods were on your side too after a great first turn you were in a good position and made the most of it for a solid path to victory :thumbsup:

Thank you, In this game I really felt the regiment trait working as it made a lot of opponents fire power bounce off and i could keep in rapid fire range for much longer :) 

Archived