I did a similar thread in the Raven Guard subforum theorizing what Corax's stats, wargear, and special rules might look like when he eventually appears in 8th edition. Since Vulkan is my second favorite Primarch and the Salamanders are my second favorite Chapter (the Raven Guard narrowly beat them when I was deciding on a Chapter to play), I figured I'd do the same for Vulkan.
Here's my attempt at 8th Edition Vulkan:
M BS WS S T W A LD SV
7" 2+ 2+ 8 9 9 5 10 2+
Vulkan isn't very fast, but he's built like a tank. He's been called the largest and physically strongest of the Primarchs, with only Magnus being taller (but Magnus doesn't have the same mass Vulkan does). He's the polar opposite of my vision of Corax. Where Corax survives by not getting hit very often in the first place, Vulkan is going to take the hit, smile, and hit you back twice as hard. His strength and toughness are both toward the upper end of what I figure the Primarch scale will be.
First off, we have the special rule that makes Vulkan, well, Vulkan.
Perpetual - Vulkan is the only Primarch to have inherited the Emperor's Perpetual nature. He's difficult to kill, and when he does die he comes right back. This trait makes him incredibly difficult to put down. In game terms, he's even more resilient than Mortarion.
* Any non-mortal wounds dealt to Vulkan are halved (rounded up)
* Vulkan ignores damage dealt on a 5+
* At the start of your turn roll a D6. On a 5+ Vulkan regains a lost wound.
Protector of Humanity - Vulkan has a great deal of empathy for mankind, and it shows itself in his protective nature. Because he knows he is in less danger than those around him due to his nature, he is quick to put himself in harm's way to protect those less durable than himself.
* If a friendly IMPERIUM unit within 3" of Vulkan is successfully hit, roll a D6. On a 5+ Vulkan will intercept the hit.
* When Vulkan advances do not roll a die, he automatically adds 5" to his movement stat. When charging, roll 3D6 and use the 2 highest.
XVIII Primarch - Vulkan's incredible craftsmanship is reflected in his sons' wargear.
* Friendly SALAMANDERS units within 6" of Vulkan get a +1 bonus to all rolls to wound.
The Drake Scale - Vulkan's personally crafted suit of Tactical Dreadnought Armor.
* Vulkan has a 3+ invulnerable save.
* Teleport Strike rule.
* Once per battle Vulkan can use his armor's teleporter to advance and charge in the same turn. However, he cannot fire in the shooting phase if he does so, even if it is an Assault weapon.
Dawnbreaker - This thunder hammer was originally crafted as a gift to Horus upon his promotion to Warmaster. However, Vulkan sensed a great darkness in Horus and decided not to give it to him after all.
WEAPON RANGE TYPE STR AP DAM SPECIAL RULES
Dawnbreaker - Melee Melee Melee x2 -4 5 On a wound role of 6, deal an additional D3 damage.
Dawnbreaker - Area Melee Melee User -2 2 Sacrifice your attacks for the fight phase to attack every enemy model within 1"
Custom Heavy Bolter 36" Assault 4 5 -1 2
There's my take on what I'd like to see Vulkan look like. I figure with all that, around 375-400 points should be a fair price for him.
Edited by Claws and Effect, 11 November 2017 - 08:12 AM.