Some Leman Russ changes that I've had in mind

Chris521

In order to bring it back to previous behaviour.

Blast markers were used to cause only one hit per model in the unit targeted.

So low count models units generated low count hits, otherwise high count models generayed a lpt of hits.

With Grinding advance the BC still has an average of 2 hits for units with 1÷4 models and thats its better than what it was used to be in 7th.

Same for the nova cannon, it has to be super effective against high count of low T models, not against low count ones.

As said before the other "bad" main weapons are not so bad themselves, its the BC that is too good.

Blast Templates are gone for good. I don't think it's a good idea to create backdoor templates for some weapons. The way GW have decided to work around former blast/template weapons is by giving them a larger number of shots with lower damage per shot. In the case of Battle Tank vs Vanquisher the math doesn't work our against a single multi-wound target. But that is because the Vanquisher is just terrible at what it does. In fact I'd very much like to see the rule removed from the Demolisher.

Don't touch the Battle Canon. It's pretty much perfect right now, effective against a large variety of targets, but certainly not overpowered.

What has to be changed are the other guns, so that they are better than the battle cannon in the role they are meant for.

- Vanquisher has to be better at killing tanks, worse against infantry.

- Demolisher has to better against everything when in range, while being severely limited by that range.

- Exterminators should to be better vs. light vehicles with invulns and low toughness, worse against hard targets.

- Punisher should be king at mowing down unarmored infantry in the open. 

- Eradicator has to murder infantry in cover better than Punisher, while being worse when there is no cover.

- Executioner is a bit of a special case. I would make it very strong, but very expensive points wise to reflect its fluff. Also overheat should change to natural 1's for all Plasma weaponry. Negative to hit modifiers are punishing enough as they are.

Probably should have said "also", mostly to prevent it being too niche.

I was already talking about the dual ammo.

Standard one is worse than BC at killing vehicles, HE one is worse than BC at killing infantry.

Was in addition to the proposed Str upgrade. HE from a high velocity gun shouldn't be as good as from a lower velocity gun - the shell walls need to be thicker so less explosive filler, hence only S4-5.

12-14 is the correct str range for the Vanquisher APDS round. - smashing lighter vehicles on a 2+ rather than the current 3+. Not convinced on S14 from a balance point of view - some T7 vehicles I feel should be slightly more survivable..

Similarly leaning the same way for Melta weapons and the Lascannon, they could use Str boosts in order to retain their position as AT weapons.

Ultimately though, it seems like GW haven't really gone through and designed/redesigned weapons for some time. With the new system removing limits on S, T and W there was room for a lot more changes than we've seen.

Archived