Death to Guilimans new sons

Wolf Lord Loki

I likely have a game in the new year facing a primaris force. The game is to be about 75power level and you can see the units i currently have available here

(http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/341195-starting-up-death-guard-60-power-level/?do=findComment&comment=4929530)

I know ill be facing at least 10 intercessors and 10 helblaster as well as captain, the jumppack guys and possibly a redemptor class dreadnaught

Rather worried about my ability to approach the plasma guns as they can do a fair amount of damage!

Ideally i need tactics as i doubt i'll have enough money for more than one more warhammer purchase beforehand

I am by no means an expert, but based on what you have written here are some of my observations.  Take it or leave it, it won't hurt my feelings :wink: .

Try to get first turn!  I think in this case a lot will be riding on who goes first.  If your opponent gets first turn, you are likely to be in a world of pain. 

By the look of it you'll be facing a heavy hitting but very specialized force.  What I am seeing though is that they are going to be very spread out, the intercessors will most likely be in reserve as will the Jumppack guys.  They are likely there to come in and pounce on anything you have in your backfield. 

Your PM are going to be eaten alive by those plasma so If you do take them put them in a Rhino for more survivability.  If you can get a Rhino with PMs and the Putrifyer close enough for a Blight Grenade Bombardment you'll be able to take out a large portion of his Firepower.  Even if the Rhino gets destroyed by enemy fire, at least your squad should make it to do some damage. (Rhino + cargo is one drop)

Blight Drones if you have them.  They are fast, can soak up a good amount of punishment (T8, 5++, and DR) and the Twin Spatters are great at taking out SMs.

Blight Drones w/Heavy BLs will be very good against your opponent's Dread, plus will be fast enough to stay out of trouble.  Alternatively a Dread with Twin Last, and hvy flamer would give you some ranged hitting power, while simultaneously being able to defend itself up close.

For an HQ I would steer away from Typhus or a Terminator Lord as they are too slow and cumbersome.  Either a DP w/Wings or to save points a simple Caster (can't remember the name right now) .

Again, a lot of rambling but I hope it makes sense. 

@checkmate - which perchase you you priorities most given im only likely to be one box between now and the game (and if we assume mortarion will not be in budget by then!) - Rhino, Daemon Prince, Blight Drone or Hellbrute

Blight drones are good and this time i WILL remember they have TWO guns...

I have a Lord of Contagion which was quite effective in the combat he got into last time but none of the deathshoud survived to back him up

I do like the idea of a dread as he would be advancing at the same speed as any foot sloggers

What warlord traits would you chose? Im thinking the one the reduces damage by 1. Im going to be those helbaster will give an overcharged volley at the boss man and that trait would mean hes risking his men for no real gain!

Daemon princes make primaris marines cry. I would take at least one, maybe two. The 2 damage from their talons means that each failed save = 1 dead marine. Anything else you can bring that deals mortal wounds or 2 damage is useful. If your daemonic overlords lurk behind your plasma marines, your supercharged shots are more reliable, and thanks to the legion trait of the Death Guard, you should be in range before he is. After you let fly, charge with the DPs into whatever is left. You will want to kill the hellblasters asap, but once their powerful AP weapons are gone, you should rule the battlefield. 

As for warlord traits, tainted regeneration is nice for DPs. If you equip one of them with Supperating Plate, any incidental damage can be healed.

@Wolf Lord Loki, if you don't have one yet, and only have one purchase to make then I would definately go with the Demon Prince.  I would agree with Azekai that if you can get him into CC with the Hellblasters then you will be in a very good position.

So If I understand correctly, you have 20 poxwalkers, 1x7 man PM, 1xLord of Contagion, 1xPlague Caster, 1xBlight Drone (so the basic box set?)  Is this correct?

Can you list anything additional you might have?  that way we'll be better able to advise you on what to take. 

Thats correct. Its the basic box plus:

an additional plague marine with plasma gun,

5 man plaguemarine squad with single blight launcher

a biologius putrifier

a fowl blightspawn

3 converted deathshroud

An old typhus who could be used as either a lord or a termi pyker

I also had a thought about helbrutes and magnazing up one and using it with either cc weapon and plasma or 1 fist/ 1 scourge and charging it forward as a destraction carnifex

Sorry, forgot to address your question on Warlord Trait

If you go with a Demon Prince (if you do, DON'T FORGET WINGS), you need to make him as survivable as possible.  Suppurating (I think I spelt that right) Plate which gives him a +2 save will help, and as you want him in CC, those extra mortal wounds he could dish out will come in handy.  As for the warlord trait, the damage reduction is good, but  I would consider DR +1, with a 50% chance to negate all incoming damage it will increase your DP survivability significantly. + DR works against mortal wounds!

Assuming what you have is the basic set + 1 purchase of a DP, this would be my strategy (and I'm curious what everyone else thinks)

HQ:  DP w/ Dark Miasma, Putrescent Vitality (PV) + smite

1 unit of pox walkers (PW) as screen.  Yes they will die, but as long as you have at least 1 of them between your DP and the Hell blasters they have to finish of that one first, them never having to take a morale test should be used to your benefit.  They should stay alive at least till turn 2 (probably 3) with the help of Dark Miasma and PV.

1 unit of PM with 3xPlasma.  Just as Azekai said, keep them behind the PW screen and advance them up with your DP. 

Move up all three of these units as one blob, use Rapid advance on the PW to get them as fast as possible and keep the DP behind them so he can't be targeted.

Once your DP is in range (with wings he has a 12" move + charge) you should be in range to charge by turn 2 (turn 3 latest depending on how your opponent sets up)  Use PV on your DP before you charge to help him soak up as much damage from the Hel baster over watch fire as possible.

Don't forget the Plague Drone, move that beast up to threaten the Hellblasters and provide them with a second threat besides your DP.  Make sure he stays out of their Rapid fire range until he is ready to strike.  Once your DP is in CC with the Hellblasters, the Drone can be used to deal with the other Primaris threats.

Hope this is helpful/makes sense

Edited by Checkmate77

So ive added your suggestion of a Daemon Prince to my army list and i have this so far (76 power level)

HQs

Daemon Prince with wings (DPw)

Lord of Contagion (LoC)

Plague Caster. (Pc)

ELITES

Biologis Putrifier

Noxious blightbringer

3 Deathshroud

TROOPS

7 plague marines 2 plasma guns. Champ- plas gun, p.fist

5 plague marines 1 blight launcher. Champ- p.fist

20 poxwalkers

FAST ATTACK

Foetid Bloat Drone

If i hold the LoC and deathshroud in reserve until just before the charge and then teleport in so they have to chose one target.

That said i understand the hellblaster might be in 2 squads of 5

I have a sort of backasswards proposition: do you have to play at the 75 power level? Given the limits of your nascent army, you are spending a lot on characters that don't really do much. Lords of Contagion are just 'ok,' can't shoot, and your DP already can provide rerolls. Blightbringers do very little unless you have hordes of poxwalkers that you need to have sprinting across the battlefield. I have not used a putrifyer, some people like it I guess. The plague caster is fine, but you might as well bring Typhus. 

Most of these characters act like force multipliers, but they aren't really worth using when they are only boosting 1 or 2 tiny squads.

When I was new to the game and I didn't have many options for army building I would blow all my points (or power level, same difference) on characters. Characters are expensive and they use up those points, after all. This isn't really efficient, however, and looking over what you got, you could easily trim it back to a smaller game, just so you aren't forced to take a supremely character heavy list.

I would consider asking your opponent to play at the level where you could make a decent, dangerous army. A DP, 2 plague marine squads, some zombies and a bloat drone would be great. Maybe toss in 1 of whatever type of character you want to try out (like a plague caster or the putrifyer). I would tally that up and see what power level it comes out to, and ask your opponent to match it. I think that approach may be more satisfying for you, and saves the trouble of trying to use up all 75 PL.

Edited by Azekai

I would have to agree with Azekai,  the core units that he listed are really what make you strong.  I don't think it is fair for your opponent to insist you play at a PL he is comfortable with just because he was able to spend a little more money on getting a decent selection of models. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well the latest update is the points limit will be dropping to 65 power (as he is worried about not being able to get all of his models painted in time)

I have an old typhus who could be a lord, a sorceror or possibly a 4th deathshroud.

I have a game vs another friend and his Imperial Fist successors in about a fortnight which is mostly just regular marines

HQs

Lord of Contagion (LoC)

Plague Caster. (Pc)

ELITES

3 Deathshroud champ with 2 plague sprayers

TROOPS

7 plague marines 2 plasma guns. Champ- plas gun, p.fist

6 plague marines 1 blight launcher, one with axe and mace. Champ- p.fist, plasma

20 poxwalkers

FAST ATTACK

Foetid Bloat Drone

A couple of point over 60 power. probably wont be the 'underdog' this time.

I will try and keep a record of what happens and share with you guys after the game!

Ok, stupid question, If you are building your Army on PL, why are you cutting yourself short on one PM in that second squad?  If I remember correctly a PM squad of 5 is PL 7 and a squad of 7 is PL 10.  Even if you are short a model, I would try to find a stand in to make sure you get what you're paying for.

Not a stupid question. If i had seven marines i would have taken them. Alas i dont currently, but you do have a point. Perhaps i should find a suitible proxi for number seven

Ideally i want another blight launcher but they are tricksy to get hold of individually. (especially as im STILL trying to ebay a nurgle daemon prince....)

Due to the fact that I only have the old metal cast versions of Plague marines, I've run into a similar issue with PM armed with Blight Launchers.  Mixing new and old PM models just doesn't look good.  I have therefore started using PM carrying PGs as my Blight Launchers.

As to your Demon Prince.....

Not sure if this link works, but here is an alternative to the generic Nurgle Daemon Prince.  If the link doesn't work, try doing an ebay search for "28mm-scale CHAOS ROTTEN PRINCE OF DAEMONS WITH WINGS"

Cool Model IMHO.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28mm-scale-CHAOS-ROTTEN-PRINCE-OF-DAEMONS-WITH-WINGS/262312618449?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D49454%26meid%3D1b4d3838c05e4a639e17c160a3a974c9%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D263351752522&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%253A6e2b8d4d-daab-11e7-a688-74dbd180e41e%257Cparentrq%253A2ce2c7ee1600abc2c98f2e57fff71776%257Ciid%253A1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...