Ultima Founding: Knights Tempest

Sete

Thinking of naval ranks, maybe you can refer to Sergeants as "Chief Petty Officers", certain Lieutenants as "Frigate Captains" (taking inspiration from German Navy ranks), Captains as "Cruiser Captains" (to show they command strike cruisers) in addition to their noble titles as "Duques", and the Chapter Master as "Barge Captain"?

Was thinking Captain Major which would go along the theme of first among equals, Captains, and knight commander.

I'm tanking inspiration on the 16th century Portuguese Navy in India.

The Nobles, or fidalgos, were knights of the Order of Christ and fought for glory and honour, usuaally with Greatswords and the line soldiers were starting to be organized in Terços.

While being autonomous, having a central recruitment process would dimmish the chances of a rogue Dux happening, reinforcing loyalty to the chapter than the Company.

Also Chaplains would only answer to the High King their job to keep the Dux on the line and tamper any ambitions and possible revolts.

Good ideas. You can also have the Techmarines answer to the High King; if any Dux has ambitions to overthrow the High King, the latter can order the Techmarines to "commandeer" (hijack) the treacherous Dux's warships, shutdown his company keep's defenses, sabotage his company's tanks, etc.

The High King is chosen from Dux ranks aswell.

I presume the Marines elect their own High King, the way Space Wolves elect their own Great Wolf? Or is suffrage restricted to certain members of the Chapter, e.g., those with the rank of Lieutanant and above?

Do the Chaplains form their own council, and monitor the High King himself, so the latter won't have ambitions to act as Lufgt Huron- and Horus before him- did? Do the Chaplains thus refuse to serve any High King candidate they don't approve of, resorting to assassination so the Knights Tempest won't suffer the leadership of a "would-be Horus"? (I'm taking inspiration from the Roman Empire's Praetorian Guard.)

These are great questions, and I need some time to think on them!

While I don't want to go too much on politics on Space Marines, I think it would fall upon the Knights to serve and if necessary police the High King and Chaplains.

This way every institution has an eye on each other.

Dux are chosen from knights and High King from Dux.

Techmarines would serve the High King primary.

Chaplains have no say in the election of a High King, but they would have agendas to follow.

In reference to Knights policing the High King and Chaplains and Chaplains having no say in the election of a High King I would think it should be the opposite. Chaplains are traditionally keepers of the orthodoxy of the Chapter, ensuring that everyone from the Chapter Master on down adheres to the principals of the Chapter, honors their traditions, is free of taint, and is loyal to the Imperium above all else. What other "agendas" would they have? In extreme cases the Reclusium might call upon the Knights to enforce chapter law against a traitorous High King or Dux. Knight policing the High King and Chaplaincy seems to me a violation of good command order. The only time I could see the Knights policing either the High King or the Chaplaincy or both independently of normal command structure and protocol would be in a case of chapter civil war.

Idea: The Captains are not allowed to serve as Marshals, or lead crusades, unless they possess a Mandate. The High King, or a quorum of Captains (in case the High King is killed/incapacitated), issues the Mandate as a "Crusading Standard/Ancient" in an elaborate ceremony, during which a newly appointed Marshal must swear to uphold certain oaths.

The Knights Tempest knowingly limit themselves this way to prevent their Captains from exercising "unnatural ambitions" (acting like the Tyrant of Badab 2.0, plotting to usurp the current High King and starting a Chapter War, etc.), or from being "drawn into wasteful conflicts" (serving on the wrong side of the Badab War and other civil wars).

• 1 year later...

Ok new ideas flowing, since the new releases are great for knightly chapters, I'm picking up these dudes again!

Imperial Fists Gene Seed.

Blue with silver details and red cross as a symbol.

Motto: Honor the Emperor for He beholds you.

Fortress Monastery:

Battle Barge Adamastor

Grand Master: Duarte

Chapter Tactic:"An arm to Arms addrest"

Bolter Fusiliades

Duelists

Ranks:

Grand Master

Knight Captain

Knight Lieutenant

Sergeant

Brother

Neophyte

Edited by Sete

Fortress Monastery:

Battle Barge Adamastor

As the Chapter is fleet-based, I have to ask from where it recruits, and how potential recruits are evaluated. Does the Chapter claim certain systems as its protectorate, from whose planets it recruits? Have Chapter keeps on the planets in its protectorate, with coliseums outside where potential recruits may be evaluated in gladiatorial combat, and where the recruits are kept before they may be transferred aboard one of the Chapter's ships for gene-seed implantation and initial training (taking inspiration from the Black Templars graphic novel Damnation Crusade)?

Nitpick:

Sargent

The rank is spelled "Sergeant" (emphasis mine).
Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Fortress Monastery:

Battle Barge Adamastor

As the Chapter is fleet-based, I have to ask from where it recruits, and how potential recruits are evaluated. Does the Chapter claim certain systems as its protectorate, from whose planets it recruits? Have Chapter keeps on the planets in its protectorate, with coliseums outside where potential recruits may be evaluated in gladiatorial combat, and where the recruits are kept before they may be transferred aboard one of the Chapter's ships for gene-seed implantation and initial training (taking inspiration from the Black Templars graphic novel Damnation Crusade)?

Nitpick:

Sargent

The rank is spelled "Sergeant" (emphasis mine).
My idea is chapter keeps on strategic planets.

Planets where the fleet can stop for repair and refit aswell, but the chapter does not claim lordship or ownership of the planet on the "good" side of the galaxy.

With Imperium Nihilus a few planets might be made into protectorades to provide safe haven, or a beach head for future imperial incursions, or chapter Crusades.

My Sergeant writing was unfortunately corrupted by my Portuguese which is "Sargento"

Evaluation:

Chapter representatives visit the chapter keep where they choose from the strongest juveniles from the nearby populace.

They are assessed with a variety of contests of strength, agility and stamina before being assessed by an Apothecary for their suitability for receiving the implanted organs necessary for their transformation. Those that fail the trial at this stage by being biologically unsuitable can be used as chapter serfs and those that fail by strength of will are euthanised.

Edited by Sete

The Chapter is organised into what it calls "Armadas" instead of the traditional companies. These are autonomous fleets that often range far in defence of the Imperium.

The Knights Tempest divert from the organisational dictates of the Codex Astartes. The Chapter fleet specializes in void warfare and orbital drop assaults.

Edited by Sete

• 1 month later...

A really cool chapter symbol design there! Distinct and not overtly busy so you know exactly which Chapter you're looking at.

We've got a good basic outline here that can easily be expanded upon if you so choose. The autonomous 7 companies and cooperation between the Captains when undertaking campaigns is a fun twist for an Ultima Chapter, and it makes a good amount of sense with the current state of things across the galaxy (incidentally, are these guys in the Imperium Sanctus or Nihilus? You mention them ranging into Nihilus, but that seems to be a perilous choice as going through often means not coming back with how bad the warp rift is. Is it possibly worth just keeping them on the Nihilus side, but on the border of the Warp Rift?).

The mention of Librarians having a non-combative role intrigues, as the Astartes (and especially Primaris) are all about warfare and meting that out with bolt, blade and fist. So what is it the Librarians focus on? :)

Cambrius

Cheers for the feedback.

Im still working on the kinks of the lore, so at the moment they are in no particular position in the galaxy.

When writing that bit, im just taking into account that on nihilus travel is very slow made by small warp jumps.

Librarians, besides helping navigate, im thinking on giving them ship master role during void engagments, So they have a combat role albeit on the ship.

Edited by Sete

• 2 months later...

Ok added a few updates to the IA.

Also I will be focusing on Knight Lieutenant Lourenco Correia of the 3rd Armada.

He is the Commander of a modified Gladius Class Frigate, Pureza de Intenção (Purity of Intent).

The Ship has been retrofitted with a larger amount of sleeping cells, effectively doubling the contingent of Space Marines on board (due to the chapter Fleet based nature), and a larger armoury aswell, for extended missions.

The Frigate also contains one Thunderhawk and 2 Stormhawks Interceptors.

Edited by Sete

• 11 months later...

Well I think I'm done with the chapter. The basic outline is done, and after a few revisions I have nothing else to add.

Now with the BT release I will start working in models.

Edited by Sete

Now with the BT release I will start working in models.

May Dorn and the Emperor grant you success in this effort.

I'm cannibalizing all of those swords and shoulder pads.

Maybe the Tabard and Capes for my Knights.