:HQ: KNIGHTS TEMPEST :HQ:

FOUNDING: ..................ULTIMA FOUNDING[M.41]
CHAPTER WORLD: .............CRUSADING CHAPTER
FORTRESS MONASTERY: ........BATTLE BARGE ADAMASTOR
GENE-SEED: ...IMPERIAL FISTS

"Honor the Emperor for He beholds you."

Origins[/skullheaderhalf]
T
he Knights Tempest are a Loyalist Space Marine Chapter created from Dorn's Imperial Fists lineage and raised during the Ultima Founding.
The Chapters raised during this Founding consisted entirely of Primaris Space Marines who had been created entirely from a new stock of gene-seed -- crafted over ten millennia by Archmagos Dominus Belisarius Cawl -- as the supreme contingency plan and the ultimate defenders of the Imperium of Man against the darkness that now encroaches from all sides.
A fleet based chapter, its single Battle Barge, Adamastor, is the Chapter's spiritual and operational center.

[skullheaderhalf=000000]Recruitment

Knights Tempest take their potential recruits from many worlds. On each of these worlds they maintain a Chapter chapel. However they have no special rights as to where they recruit their neophytes.The Chapter also conducts ad-hoc recruitment as needed, which can involve intervening in ongoing conflicts to recruit the most talented warriors taking part in the fighting.Recruits are subjected to psycho-indoctrination and conditioning, strengthening their resolve and honing them into dedicated and merciless warriors.
Not all recruits survive the brutal training, and not all are accepted.

Organization

The Chapter is divided into 7 autonomous Companies, called Armadas, each one led by a Captain, except the 1st company that is led the the Captain-Major (chapter master) of the chapter.
The opinion of every Captain is heard before battle although final decision always rests on the Captain Major.
The rest of the chapter command roles are fulfilled by the chapter Knights.

Chapter neophytes do not see combat until their black carapace is implanted, and only use Phobos Mark armour until they are raised to battle brother.
Traditionally they are deployed as Eliminators, offering long range support to their brethren.

Doctrine

The Knights Tempest, with a few exceptions derivative of being a fleet based chapter, are compliant with the Codex in terms of organisation and battlefield procedures. They consistently follow the tactics presented in the Codex, efficiently making use of different standard units in the manner that the tactical manual requires. Their training is broad and all-encompassing, so that the Chapter can effectively counter opponents who use vastly different tactical approaches to battle.
The Knights Tempest also place great value in marksmanship and are renown for their accuracy with ranged weapons, although they consider the sword the most perfect and noble close-combat weapon devised by mankind.
This focus on blade mastery is exacerbated by the Armada Champion which takes upon him the role of seeking the enemy leaders, so that he can engage the foe's most powerfull warriors in a duel to the death.
This role is given to the most skilled Knight of the Armada, following the ancient tradition of Sigismund and his appointment as Emperor Champion, although in the Knights Tempest, this role can be compared to the Company Champion of other chapters.
Many of the Chapter Knights use "Montantes", or longswords, which they use to deadly perfection slaying scores of foes in wide arcs.

Chapter Librarians fulfill an indirect combat role, but non the less of the utmost importance.
Due to the frequency of the crusades taking them into the Nihilus side of the Imperium, Librarians are used to guide the ships trough the warp, instead of Navigators, guiding the Fleet using divination and astronomical charts with short jumps along the treacherous currents of warp. Secret pacts made with the Navigator House Zarco, ensures no problems arise from this arrangement.
They also serve as ship masters when the fleet is engaged in void combat, using their third eye gift to ensure victory.

Chapter Tactic

"Unyielding Will"
Bolter Fusiliades/Duelists
Edited by Sete

Having a quick look at the wikipedia page, it looks like there were some pretty big names in there: henry the navigator, vasco de gama and magellan - one common point of these is that they were great explorers, perhaps that could help?

The Armillary guard ?

You might want to make a list of names that come to mind. Just free associate and pick what you like. I looked up Order of Christ myself. Looks interesting. I'll throw out a few names. Hope it helps.

-Knights Tempest

-Crimson Templars

-Crimson Liberators

-Liberators Militant

-Tempest Swords

-Storm Knights

-Templar Storm

-Crimson Order

Just a few ideas to get you started. Good luck:thumbsup: 

Knights Tempest sounds awesome.

I took into consideration Thorn suggestion, and looked for armillary synonyms.

It all goes for celestial and astral etc, and unfortunately Astral Knights is already taken :D

But again Knights Tempest has a nice ring to it...

Might chance colour instead of black and red (because of Sword Bros) to dark grey red and white. We'll need to start working on the IA.

But Knights Tempest, love it!

How do these names sound for non Portuguese speakers?

Adamastor, Sebastiao, Duarte, Nuno?

Edited by Sete

For names, here's a lifesaver:

https://www.behindthename.com/random/

If I were you, I'd probably integrate one or two of the colours of portugal: some blue on white in places for instance. Try not to make it too heavy handed, but there are a lot of grey white and red chapters out there already :)

You do me too much honour Brother Sete (I sure won't hold it against you is you change your mind though:wink:).

Lord Thorn's idea of using one or more of the colors of Portugal sounds like a great idea. There are some nice combinations to chose from that will make your chapter stand out without being garish.

Hmm... Name and colour is always a hard thing to decide.

Name is sorted. Maybe some blue (I paint blue well :D ) Silver Aquilla and Red Symbol?

Also silver helms for vets?

Basic lore:

Their home planet Haven on the good side of the rift.

They send crusades to the other side of the rift and in a good Imperial Fist way they fortify and maintain keeps and fortresses on planets they liberate/conquer/purge.

Edited by Sete

• 6 months later...

Im using my holiday downtime to think a bit around these guys.

(Was hoping for some BT love, but it ain't coming lol)

Choose a colour scheme. Blue with a red cross as symbol.

Probably will go with both shoulder pads with a cross.

I'm a bit stuck on the lore. Not much on Primaris I can expand. :/

Greetings Brother,

I like your choice of blue with the red cross:thumbsup:

As to lore, I'm reluctant to make direct and too detailed suggestions for inspiration. However, I humbly submit several suggestions for inspiration.

Check out the lore of some of the Knightly orders, such as the Templars, the Teutonics, and the Knights Hospitaller (my personal favorite).

For a Portuguese/Spanish atmosphere look to El Cid and the Reconquista.

Several films that I have found to inspire my imagination in this area are Kingdom of Heaven (the director's cut, not the rubbish theatrical release) and El Cid.

Good luck brother:yes:

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

• 2 months later...

Ok after some research, Im going with a 12 company chapter.

They hold a system that permits safe passage trough the rift (need to check galactic maps and chose a spot lol)

1st company is led by the chapter master, 9 companies hold fiefs around the system, (several recruiting worlds), recruits are sent back to chapter keep, trained and redistributed amongst the chapter.

1 Company is a rapid reaction force, and another is a crusading company that usually ventures into Dark Imperium to crusade.

more to come.

Looks like a good start brother:thumbsup: Looks to fit well with your knightly theme. Will all companies be battle companies in structure or will you have specialized companies as well (reserves, armor, flyers, etc.). Looking forward to more details.

Each company will be independent.

The recruits are sent to the main keep for training and indoctrination to reduce the risk of secession.

Each company has its own territory do defend and patrol except the Crusade and Reaction.

Instead of treating the chapter has a Knightly Order I have decided to go for a Kingdom type of organizations.

High King is the Chapter Master

Dux will be the Company Captains.

Marshall will be the leader of the Crusade Company

And Lieutenants will be Knight-Wardens.

Only the Veterans will have the Rank of Knights.

(I need Primaris Veterans with melee weapons)

Not bad.

Are non-veterans referred to as "Squires" (those who earned the Black Carapace and the right to wear power armor) and "Pages" (Scouts/Initiates, who cannot effectively wear power armor)?

Not bad.

Are non-veterans referred to as "Squires" (those who earned the Black Carapace and the right to wear power armor) and "Pages" (Scouts/Initiates, who cannot effectively wear power armor)?

Well I still need to think about that.

High King is the Chapter Master

Dux will be the Company Captains.

I think the High King and the Duxes should have additional titles that represent their roles as military leaders, as "King" and "Dux" represent their roles as government leaders. (Note Logan Grimnar's military role is represented with the title "Great Wolf", while his governmental role is represented with "High King of Fenris".) Maybe the High King should bear the additional title of "Grandmaster", while a Dux bears the title of "Company Master"?

Marshall will be the leader of the Crusade Company

What's the difference between a "Crusade Company" and a regular Company? That a Crusade Company Commander has warships under his direct command, to provide him with transportation and orbital fire support?

Every company is an independent force.

Each Dux have a fief/area to defend in the system (this system offers a stable passage through the great rift, it's an extremely important strategic place)which has several habitated worlds, except the Crusade company, which as the name implies goes in crusades.

About the titles, traditionally kings were the commander in chief of the armies, and the Duques would provide manpower and support to him.

Since basically they have the same amount power at their disposal, High King just differentiates the increased responsibilities he has among equals.

The High King is chosen from Dux ranks aswell.

Edited by Sete

That's a great question.

Replenishment is central.

Recruits are sent to the chapter keep to be trained and then sent to reinforce the companies accordingly.

I suppose Marshall role could rotate, at the completion of one crusade, or even failure or destruction of a one, a new dux would be appointed by the high king to become a Marshall.

This way every dux would have the chance to have crusade honours, and to avoid any dux to establish a permanent power position in any given territory.

Except the High King which territory is the Chapter world. That's permanent. Fiefs might include empty regions of space just to be patrolled, it does not have to include any planets or such. It's just an area which is that company responsability to defend against any incursions.

While being autonomous, having a central recruitment process would dimmish the chances of a rogue Dux happening, reinforcing loyalty to the chapter than the Company.

Also Chaplains would only answer to the High King their job to keep the Dux on the line and tamper any ambitions and possible revolts.

Edited by Sete

While being autonomous, having a central recruitment process would dimmish the chances of a rogue Dux happening, reinforcing loyalty to the chapter than the Company.

Also Chaplains would only answer to the High King their job to keep the Dux on the line and tamper any ambitions and possible revolts.

Good ideas. You can also have the Techmarines answer to the High King; if any Dux has ambitions to overthrow the High King, the latter can order the Techmarines to "commandeer" (hijack) the treacherous Dux's warships, shutdown his company keep's defenses, sabotage his company's tanks, etc.

I presume the Marines elect their own High King, the way Space Wolves elect their own Great Wolf? Or is suffrage restricted to certain members of the Chapter, e.g., those with the rank of Lieutanant and above?

Do the Chaplains form their own council, and monitor the High King himself, so the latter won't have ambitions to act as Lufgt Huron- and Horus before him- did? Do the Chaplains thus refuse to serve any High King candidate they don't approve of, resorting to assassination so the Knights Tempest won't suffer the leadership of a "would-be Horus"? (I'm taking inspiration from the Roman Empire's Praetorian Guard.)

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Good ideas. You can also have the Techmarines answer to the High King; if any Dux has ambitions to overthrow the High King, the latter can order the Techmarines to "commandeer" (hijack) the treacherous Dux's warships, shutdown his company keep's defenses, sabotage his company's tanks, etc.

I presume the Marines elect their own High King, the way Space Wolves elect their own Great Wolf? Or is suffrage restricted to certain members of the Chapter, e.g., those with the rank of Lieutanant and above?

Do the Chaplains form their own council, and monitor the High King himself, so the latter won't have ambitions to act as Lufgt Huron- and Horus before him- did? Do the Chaplains thus refuse to serve any High King candidate they don't approve of, resorting to assassination so the Knights Tempest won't suffer the leadership of a "would-be Horus"? (I'm taking inspiration from the Roman Empire's Praetorian Guard.)

These are great questions, and I need some time to think on them!

While I don't want to go too much on politics on Space Marines, I think it would fall upon the Knights to serve and if necessary police the High King and Chaplains.

This way every institution has an eye on each other.

Dux are chosen from knights and High King from Dux.

Techmarines would serve the High King primary.

Chaplains have no say in the election of a High King, but they would have agendas to follow.

Edited by Sete