Special Weapons come in basic variants: squads with Melta Combi, squads with Frag cannons, and maybe... Missile Launcher squad(s)?
How many you talking? Just giving the Sgt the special weapon or tossing in more then 1? Vanilla squads for me means sticking 3 combi-weapons in a squad of 5. If you're going to take a naked marine squad, why not just use some intercessors with that foot slogging apothecary? Or you could buy a couple reivers to deep strike.
One squad for each purpose. This makes them astartes-like in role, except trading in fancy toys (vehicles/tanks/etc) for SIA sternguard for the other roles. So 3-4 Melta's in a squad. 3-4 Missile launchers in a squad, perhaps 2 frags for squad.
I still use a pod or two with this army specifically, and they are rumoured to be going down in points. But before the game the pod is empty. There's nothing stopping a player from deciding the priority unit that must use the pod, and get in there quick, with the flyer joining it soon after for aura magic.
- Hellblasters (on foot)
- Apothecary (on foot patching them up)
These guys go well together. I wouldn't bother trying to follow a kill team on foot with your apothecary, unless you have a termie or two in there to help soak wounds.
- Well it did work in my Primaris army. An Apothecary would work better if he is running up behind the Razors along side the Helblasters, until they are in range. Again depends on the opponent.... against Astra, yea you have to move these guys fast as unit and hope for shots, and wound restoration. Against Nids you get to play the fireline game with Primaris.
I've used every combination of Primaris out there... I simply dislike them all except these guys. There is too much multi wound shots (aka high damage) in the game and with every codex it gets worse. I don't really like intercessors. Multi wounds on basic models just really haven't gone well for me. I'd rather lose a single wound model to a shot than a multi wound model to a shot.... that said Helblasters actually do something for this army imo.
- Maybe a solo Shield/Hammer Termie?
The solo bikers/VV/termie days are long gone man. That's the first thing they Erreta'd. An assassin could possibly help. Specifically, the Culexus.
- Heh, that's funny. I've been running a solo Termie in the odd unit for a while, including my last game. No one plays Deathwatch. At this point I'm pretty sure I could include a squad of Khorne Berzerkers in a unit and say it's part of a new wave of vets the Deathwatch are trying out, and no one would question it.
- A culuxes is good though. Just hard to get in the list without penalties.
Speaking of forgeworld, I don't recall what all deathwatch go access to. Is there anything there that could help us out?
You get access to the entire index. So far I've picked up and used tarantula turrets; they help quite nicely - both as anti deep strike (protecting my small back line) and as extra dakka. AND THEY'RE 27 PTS PER MODEL. I still have a leviathan dread and sicarian tank to build but I'm thinking the sicarian may be the only other decent choice since it offers great anti-air. The xiphon interceptor has been getting a lot of love in the forums, being a cost efficient vehicle hunter (2 TWIN-las and 3 missiles?). I think... there's a multi-melta razorback? Could be for funzies.
- The Tarantulas are a real thing. Personally I won't use them, but if someone wants to turn it up a notch there's plenty of marines playing fire base tarantula warfare now. It's another example of the wonkiness of Forgeworld. Stuff is all over the map.
I do have a Sicaran, and a Fire Raptor which I've never painted (because I've shared them with multi armies in the past and could never decide!)
I still think the Leviathan looks good on paper, but this thread is about laying down the bodies. Specialization sits in the squads... hopefully filling those roles for you.
Since Mobility is such an issue without the formation rules, I would think the points have to be spent on at least one flyer, LazerRazers/AssaultRazers and/or Landraiders (a little reluctant to do this since Astra now. I see some guys are toting 16-20 lascannons in their lists without issue).
Edited by Prot, 15 November 2017 - 03:38 PM.