'competitive' gribblies of Kraken

ChaoSam

So looking to start a new army for my first attempt at tournament play, been playing 40k for over 10 years but want something with some 'teeth' :wink:

Here's what I came up with:

Battalion Detachment

Warlord- Brood Lord: Monstrous rending claws: 162pts (Norn Crown)

The Swarm Lord: 300pts

Tyrannocyte: 5 deathspitters: 123pts

Winged Hive Tyrant: two pairs of monstrous scything talons: 200pts

20 genestealers: rending claws and 5 acid maws: 240pts

Patrol Detachment

Old One Eye: 200pts

3 rippers: 33pts

Screamer killer: spore cysts: 130pts

1998pts total

The cunning plan is that the swarmlord pods down, supported by a winged tyrant to ensure the most optimal turn one charges (whether it be winged tyrant into stormraven/other flier, or the swarmlord into pretty much anything else) after softening the target up with a few smites. Using the Kraken ability you should be joined by a swarm of stealers in their lines, and giving old one eye and his mates time to catch up if they can't make it to combat until turn two to mop up what's left (and if they can't at least they're at -1 to hit). As for the rippers? well they can hide off the board til turn three to camp an objective late game, or really whatever they want to do! (they're a bit of a tax to get my 4th Hq but I feel like they could clinch games occasionally, and if it's a killpoint game at least they're easily hidden!)

I'm completely new to 'nids so any thoughts/tweaks greatfully received! 

seems legit. I played a bit different version with a trigon borrowing a tunel  to pop a unit of stealers, to get a buffed charge from a swarmy.

What I did notice though is that the mixed approache does not work as well as focusing, on 2 rather then 3 aspect of tyranid codex. So some ground stuff+swarm or some swarm+flyers or some swarm+huge dudes worked better then swar+big dude+flyer dudes. With the swarmy+one tyrant combo you will offten find yourself in a place where you droped and poped two units, and if they were not elite[and those type of lists are supre rare in 8th], there is a good chance that both or one of them eats the bullet, next turn your stealers kill his chaff, and on his turn 2 he blows your army up on short range.

Vs someone who never played against tyranids, when they had a real codex[aka 4th ed] or  not well in to whole meta game of 8th thing, tyranids are like IG with lemman russes that can do melee. expect to lose  those friends, if you don't explain to them what tyranids do after update.

On a more tournament meta think. In most cases, if the job can be done by 20 stealers, It can also be done by 16 and a tournament lists needs its spore mines.

Hey Jeske, thanks for your awesome comment! In terms of what you would change then, if I was to make my 20 stealer units 16 man that'd give me 144pts to play with. Now without even looking at my codex my brain goes "well that's another screamer killer, allowing me to turn my patrol detachment into a spearhead for an extra CP." that'd leave me a couple of pts to add another stealer to one squad or another ripper base maybe?

When you say a tournie lists needs spore mines, I was a little surprised because I thought them a little underwhelming, unless you're thinking biovores? I could take 4 biovores and would you believe it? they're 144pts :biggrin.:

If you aren't talking biovores you may need to talk me through what you do with them i.e board control.

Thanks again for your comment :biggrin.:

Go for the Biovores my friend.

Biovores are the pickers choice at the moment; cheap, easy mortal wounds, but best of all that sweet sweet board control.

Depending on the way your board is set up, any Sporemines that don't hit get to be placed in front of your opponent.

As your opponent can't move through enemy models, you are effective controlling where he can and cant move.

Forcing your opponent to advance up a shooting lane and filling them full of Exocrine plasma has never been so rewarding. :D

yes. fully explainded

If you aren't talking biovores you may need to talk me through what you do with them i.e board control.

In general you knows. mortal wounds are good. And can help with stuff like tanks/knights and generally stuff with t7+ when your not running a zylla list . In fact I have offten expirianced biovores using re-rolls and moving, etc ,  just to miss. The mines are awesome, almost just as efficient at dmg as when they hit, but the crowd control ability puting 3+ of them to stop a charge or to force a low wound/almost dead thing to either move away[may not be an option, if it is on an objective] or shot the mines wasting time shoting at them, and not your big dudes.

As far tournament lists goes. I don't know how close the event your going to is timewise. But a good thing for the future is to test stuff like neops[awesome ,although more point efficient then zoey, which kind of a sucks], a zylla list[its a skew list, but a good one, and some people like to play with 6-9 fexs, 1 old one eye and a some chaff +bivores] and malies. Malies are super important for the cover they spread around. Also I know it is not a thing, and am not saying you should always do it, but wing tyrants are not mandatory[not saying they are bad]. I know we had codex dakka tyrant edition after edition, but it changed now. sometimes as good as a swarmy or tyrant is, a list works smoother with cheaper/worse HQ[as in killy not as in crap], but more fexs/more chaff/more biovores/etc. And lets not forget that [which by the way is awesome] tyranids right now are a lot like IG, they have multiple styles of play with possible multiple units used. Sure some stuff is seen in all lists[biovores, chaff. genestealers in all list that aren't zylla etc], but even if that happens, the lists don't play the same. A swarm list, doesn't play the same way as a trygons bomb with swarmy and some stealers, just because there are stealers in both lists.

Hey jeske, could you explain some of your words?

What are neops?

Zoeys = zoanthrope?

Chaff= gaunts and gargoyles?

yes zoeys are zoanthropes, malis are malenthropes. chaff is stuff that gets in the way and stops people from enganging your dakka stuff. can be guants, but can be  strategiclly place spore mine.

I like the idea of using biovores to carpet the board in mines and for easy mortal wounds, my concern is that they don't fit into my list, as the rest of the army is surging ahead so they're going to be sat in the backfield suffering from instinctive behaviour and isolated. I completely agree about shaving off the number of genestealers per squad, so I've tinkered with my list a little:

Battalion Detachment

Brood Lord: Monstrous rending claws: 162pts

The Swarm Lord: 300pts

Tyrannocyte: 5 barbed stranglers: 148pts

Winged Hive Tyrant: two pairs of monstrous scything talons: 200pts

17 genestealers: rending claws and 5 acid maws: 204pts

17 genestealers: rending claws and 5 acid maws: 204pts

16 genestealers: rending claws and 5 acid maws: 192pts

Spearhead Detachment

Old One Eye: 200pts

as guiltysparc said this will give me an ever useful extra command point. Like I said I totally get the virtue of biovores, I just think I'm trying to shoehorn them into a list they won't synergise well with.

any other thoughts? 

I think they'd synergise really well with this list.

As the Biovores (2 squads of 2) will be sat at the back, they can hold any backfield objectives for you while the rest of your army does its thing. 

As they don't need line of site, you can hide them behind walls and pepper your opponent who will be unable to shoot back at them.

Having them outside of Synapse will probably benefit them as they get -1 to hit, which increases the chance of you being able to carpet your opponent's deployment zone with movement hindering little bombs.

Swap the stranglers on the tyrannocyte for spitters. BS5+ isn't worth the points. You already have a lot of stuff to kill hordes. You can only take 4 acid Maws now per stealer unit.

The points are off on your screamer killers, they're cheaper than that.

Considered any shooting to clear away bubble wrap units? You have a lot of heavy hitters that will be wasted if they have to charge guardsmen.

One quad Dev Dec and a quad Dev flyrant would do it. The flyrant can also pop in and out of combat at will and keep shooting and assaulting.

Thanks for some more great responses guys! You're absolutely right Xenith the screamer killers are 115pts not 130- every little helps!

You don't think the stranglers are worth it? I know the tyrannocyte is a bit of a points dump anyway but when they fire so many shots the fact that the stranglers are gonna be bs 4+ instead of 5+ against most infantry/ bubble wrap units makes them seem worthwhile?

if I was to drop those to give me an extra 25pts, plus the 45 from the fexes gives me 70, and I could easily drop the 2 extra stealers to get me upto 94pts to burn! any suggestions on how they could be better spent? 

Edited by ChaoSam

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys we are having a 650 point tournament to bring in the new year.

The stipulations are simple, you have to have a patrol detachment and no forge world.

Also, everything has to be painted and based, so if I needed to add a unit I didn't own Right now is a no go.

Anyhow, here's a fun little turtle list I built and wanted some insights.

++ Patrol Detachment (Tyranids) [38 PL, 650pts] ++

+ Heavy Support +

Carnifexes [6 PL, 108pts]

. Carnifex: Bio-plasma, Bone Mace, Monstrous Scything Talons, Spine Banks, Two Devourers with Brainleech Worms

+ Troops +

Termagants [9 PL, 120pts]: 30x Termagant (Fleshborer)

+ Fast Attack +

Gargoyles [6 PL, 108pts]: 18x Gargoyle

+ HQ +

Neurothrope [4 PL, 70pts]: Power: Psychic Scream, Warlord, Warlord Trait: Synaptic Lynchpin

Tervigon [13 PL, 244pts]: Chameleonic Mutation, Massive Scything Talons, Power: Catalyst, Stinger Salvo, Toxin Sacs

++ Total: [38 PL, 650pts] ++

Seems a lot of points on HQ for the point level.

Unsure how the tervigon will go - normally it's not too great due to low damage output, but at such low point levels it's able to poop out 7.5% of your total army value each turn which is good.

Do you have any other models to work with?

Yeah, I have a lot of other options.

On a side note: Took this list out for a spin today, tabled my opponent with his Gray Knights by turn 3. Seizing the initiative had a lot to do with it.

Gate of infinity is pretty nasty though.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Tyranids) [81 PL, 1447pts] ++

+ Heavy Support +

Exocrine [11 PL, 216pts]

Mawloc [6 PL, 104pts]: Prehensile Pincer Tail

Mawloc [6 PL, 104pts]: Prehensile Pincer Tail

+ Troops +

Termagants [9 PL, 120pts]: 30x Termagant (Fleshborer)

Termagants [3 PL, 40pts]: 10x Termagant (Fleshborer)

Tyranid Warriors [5 PL, 88pts]

. Tyranid Warrior: Scything Talons, Venom Cannon

. Tyranid Warrior: Devourer, Scything Talons

+ Flyer +

Hive Crone [8 PL, 161pts]: Stinger Salvo

+ Fast Attack +

Gargoyles [3 PL, 60pts]: 10x Gargoyle

+ HQ +

Hive Tyrant [11 PL, 205pts]: Adrenal Glands, Lash Whip and Monstrous Bonesword, Monstrous Scything Talons, Power: Catalyst, Power: Onslaught, The Norn Crown, Warlord, Warlord Trait: Adaptive Biology, Wings

Hive Tyrant [11 PL, 199pts]: Monstrous Scything Talons, Power: Catalyst, Power: Psychic Scream, Two Deathspitters with Slimer Maggots, Wings

+ Elites +

Deathleaper [5 PL, 90pts]: Rending Claws

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Tyranids) [29 PL, 553pts] ++

+ Heavy Support +

Biovores [2 PL, 36pts]: Biovore

Carnifexes [6 PL, 107pts]

. Carnifex: Bone Mace, Monstrous Scything Talons, Spore Cysts, Two Deathspitters with Slimer Maggots

+ HQ +

Tervigon [13 PL, 248pts]: Adrenal Glands, Chameleonic Mutation, Massive Scything Talons, Stinger Salvo

+ Elites +

Lictor [2 PL, 45pts]: Flesh Hooks, Rending Claws

Lictor [2 PL, 45pts]: Flesh Hooks, Rending Claws

++ Total: [110 PL, 2000pts] ++

Patrol Tournament is Saturday. Looks like a load of people are going to be there.

16 confirmed participates with as many as 17 more possibly showing up.

I think it's more or less based around funsies rather than filth. Perhaps this list may be a bit more optimises, yet fun.

++ Patrol Detachment (Tyranids) [36 PL, 647pts] ++

+ Heavy Support +

Carnifexes [6 PL, 117pts]

. Carnifex: Bone Mace, Enhanced Senses, Monstrous Scything Talons, Spore Cysts, Two Devourers with Brainleech Worms

+ Troops +

Tyranid Warriors [5 PL, 88pts]

. Tyranid Warrior: Scything Talons, Venom Cannon

+ Fast Attack +

+ HQ +

Hive Tyrant [11 PL, 204pts]: Adrenal Glands, Monstrous Scything Talons, Power: Catalyst, Power: Psychic Scream, Two Devourers with Brainleech Worms, Warlord, Warlord Trait: Adaptive Biology, Wings

+ Elites +

Pyrovores [2 PL, 38pts]: Pyrovore

++ Total: [36 PL, 647pts] ++

Break down of the tournament.

Over 30+ showed up and 24 participated. most mission s didn't go past turn 2 early on. Games were set at 50 minutes, with 15 minute breaks in between.

First mission was secure and control from the new chapter approved book. Winning thr mission granted 3 points, if you tabled ypur opponent you automatically gained line breaker.

Game 1 was against Ulthwé, with a 5 man squad of dire avengers, a 10 man squad of guardians, a fire prism, and Eldrad and a farseer.

We rolled Dawn of War, had we gone to turn 3 I would have tabled him.

I changed my list at the last minute which I shouldn't have done in hindsight. I took our the two units of guants for a 2 man unit of biovores.

I drew first blood by killing his dire avengers, and killed Eldrad in turn 2 of his fight phase.

The fire prism took 1 wound of the distraction carnifex. Incidentally *everyone* shot at him first.

2nd unit of Gargoyles dropped in his back field for line breaker and capture objective 2 as I had the final turn. (first game was a bit chaotic)

Game 2 was the relic, with the added FB, LB,StWL. This game was intense,

Gate of infinity is sick, having a dreadknight 9" from your army turn 1 is really good. His banner bearer DS onto the relic.

We went to turn 2. I lost due to first blood as I killed his relic holder in the final phase. I forgot MC can't control the objective, only infantry so I lost 5-1 because it was 2-1 and he gained the +3 for victory.

Game 3 was against gouda. We played the first mission from the BRB My opponent brought the named Leviathan Dreadnought from the Red Scorpions, a Venerable Dread and a unit of las-tac. He couldn't kill enough stuff, and I played the mission leaving his warlord alone. Each objective was worth 3 points. And I had line breaker. Tough opponent, but we went to turn 5 and it ended.

Playoffs was just bad luck. We played mission 3/4 from chapter approved. Score objectives every turn and KPs rolled into 1. The one game I had first turn, the opponent seized. My Pyrovore rolled a 1 on his over watch against a strike squad that stuck a 9" charge. I had the game turned around, but his Warlord stuck 2 5++ saves against D3 wounds which I only needed him to fail one. Game was 14-15 but he tabled me in the last turn making it 14-19.

In the sweet 16 I was ranked 8th I played against 9th. There are some things I would change from deployment etx. but at only 650 There's not a whole lot gribblies can do. I did feel very confident about my performance though.