What bodyguards for an Inquisitor?

Hey, everyone.

After getting up early, I managed to bag myself a ticket to the next Warhammer World campaign weekend event, The Tenebris System.  I'm going to use it as an excuse to motivate myself to get my Deathwatch army assembled and painted.

As can be seen above, right from the beginning I've incorporated an Inquisitor into my Deathwatch army, and I intend to glue and paint him up for the campaign weekend.  I recognise that it won't be a terribly effective unit, but it fits the narrative and campaign weekends are all about the narrative.

I intend to run him with a Force Staff, a Needle Pistol, and as a Psyker.  I'm also considering having him ride in an Aquila Lander (that I originally bought for one of my Daemonhunter Inquisitors) as his personal transport.  But I'm looking to see what the best bodyguards I can have for him that can ride alongside him.  The campaign pack makes it clear that armies are built using Power Levels, so I'm looking for things that are better when using Power Levels than with points.

The Aquila Lander has a transport capacity of 7 Astra Militarum models (Ogryns and Heavy Weapons Teams counting as 2 models each), though, obviously, units with the Authority of the Inquisition can bypass the keyword limitation.

The obvious choice for a bodyguard unit is Inquisitorial Acolytes.  They have the special rule that they can absorb wounds for a nearby Inquisitor.  They also have a pretty wide range of options for weapons, meaning that I can kit them out pretty nicely.  However, they're fairly costly in terms of Power Level for a full unit, and they're only Toughtness-3/Save-5+ which means that they'll die super easily.  Despite their special rule to protect the Inquisitor, they seem like the squishiest option.

The next choice I thought of was Tempestus Scions.  They're a little tougher than the Acolytes, having a 4+ save, and come with pretty decent weapons as standard, though can also be upgraded with other, also decent, weapons too.  I can only take 5 of them (as the 6th would eat up an extra 2 Power Levels for a single model, which doesn't seem like a good idea) and they're not that much more survivable than the Acolytes.

Finally, I'm considering Crusaders from the Astra Militarum Codex.  They have a 3++ which makes them the most survivable of the bunch, and can dish out a reasonable amount of damage in melee.  On the downside, they have no ranged weapons.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what bodyguards I should use for my Inquisitor?

Well you've picked the best units there really.

Acolytes would be good since you're not paying for the upgrades. Give them any snazzy weapons you want but they are squishy and the BS4+ isn't ideal. I'm a fan of them with Storm Bolters but they get pricy. Less of an issue with power levels though.

Scions are a good choice but are probably best being used on their own. Putting them in a Lander also negates their deep strike which is a shame on such a potent unit. take them but don't run them as a "bodyguard" unit for your inquisitor.

Crusaders are great. Hard to kill, decent in combat and they get an act of faith to boot. Probably the best choice there.

While you're dipping into the exceptional Guard codex though why not take a unit of Bullgryns? They're brutal in their own right in combat, tough as nails and the slab shields look like the kind of thing a Bodyguard would use. Unfortunately the Ogryn Bodyguard itself is only usable with Guard characters.

Well you've picked the best units there really.

Acolytes would be good since you're not paying for the upgrades. Give them any snazzy weapons you want but they are squishy and the BS4+ isn't ideal. I'm a fan of them with Storm Bolters but they get pricy. Less of an issue with power levels though.

Scions are a good choice but are probably best being used on their own. Putting them in a Lander also negates their deep strike which is a shame on such a potent unit. take them but don't run them as a "bodyguard" unit for your inquisitor.

Crusaders are great. Hard to kill, decent in combat and they get an act of faith to boot. Probably the best choice there.

While you're dipping into the exceptional Guard codex though why not take a unit of Bullgryns? They're brutal in their own right in combat, tough as nails and the slab shields look like the kind of thing a Bodyguard would use. Unfortunately the Ogryn Bodyguard itself is only usable with Guard characters.

My biggest problem with Acolytes is that they're REALLY squishy for 6 Power Levels.  It doesn't really matter how much I upgrade them (especially as they only have BS 4+ so their shooting isn't that great in general) as they'll die as soon as my opponents even look in their direction.

I agree that Scions would probably be better used on their own, which means that I won't get to use them (as I'm planning on just going Deathwatch + the Inquisitor with his bodyguards).

I like Crusaders, a lot.  They're probably my number one choice right now.

Having posted this post and then gone to bed last night, I considered the possibility of Ogryns or Bullgryns (though, like you mentioned, I had to discount the Ogryn Bodyguard itself) as I was trying to get to sleep.  I agree that 3 Bullgryns would probably be the most survivable, though I don't own any models and I'm really trying to do this army without buying anything new for it.  I do have Ogryns (the old 2nd Edition metal ones) so that could be an option, but the idea of Bullgryns is quite tempting.

I'd agree with NatBranngan - you've obviously homed in on the stand-out options that I would also consider in your position.

Of your choices, I too think Crusaders would be both good and thematic.

I think so too.  I want to model them as Adeptus Arbites (either using the old Necromunda Executioner models or a kit bash of Space Marine Scouts, Cadians, and the old Bretonnian Man-At-Arms shields) which I think would make a lot of sense in terms of the background.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm not sure what I'm going to go with right now.  The fact that the campaign weekend allows you to change your army roster between games means that there's every chance that I could use none, some, or even all of the ideas above, depending on what I get glued and painted up in time.  We'll have to see...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been considering these same questions myself, and I've been leaning more and more towards crusaders. The acolyte "look out sir"-type rule seems good on paper, but I don't think counteracts the other shortcomings of post-FAQ acolytes who just die way too easily and offer way too little for their PL. Especially since your inquisitor won't need their special rule unless facing snipers (unlikely and not particularly effective) or you're not being careful with positioning (which you should be). Seems like Crusaders who are quite hard to kill thanks to their 3++ and actually decently bashy with 2 attacks (which can be nicely buffed by Act of Faith or a nearby priest) will give you better bang for your buck than acolytes. You get 2 crusaders for the PL of 1 Acolyte after all.

I still shake my head at the FAQ ruling on Acolytes. For 1 PL for a single model, 3 wounds actually made sense and made them worthwhile. Nerfing them down to 1 wound (I suspect because people who think =][= should always lose were crying rather than because of a typo given what else you can get for 1PL has multiple models or wounds) just made them rather useless, sadly.

The reduction in wounds for Acolytes ruined them as a worthwhile option, other than taking wounds from an Inquisitor. Hopefully that will be recognised and they'll get better stats if and when the Inquisition gets a codex. Acolytes (Henchmen) were much better way back in Codex: Witchhunters when they could take carapace armour. Then you could take Inquisitorial Stormtroopers with a 4+ save too, and Arbites were specifically mentioned in that role.

• 3 weeks later...

I will back to that topic for a moment.

I have some hector rex convertion, And i'm thinking of some small inquisition detachment. What add to him?

I thought about crusaders and some arcoflagellants. And put them in rhino. Is it a good idea?

Some anti payhic from hector And some Nice Cc punch from arco And crusaders.

Idea is to rude in rhino. Disembark And put hector behind crusaders. Are They good enough as "ablative wounds" for him with 3++ or just take some Acolytes.

They have bodyguard rule but don't have antyhing that can make any dmg.... What do you think?

Edited by Aegir_Einarsson

I will back to that topic for a moment.

I have some hector rex convertion, And i'm thinking of some small inquisition detachment. What add to him?

I thought about crusaders and some arcoflagellants. And put them in rhino. Is it a good idea?

Some anti payhic from hector And some Nice Cc punch from arco And crusaders.

Idea is to rude in rhino. Disembark And put hector behind crusaders. Are They good enough as "ablative wounds" for him with 3++ or just take some Acolytes.

They have bodyguard rule but don't have antyhing that can make any dmg.... What do you think?

I ran an inquisition detachment in a battle on Friday against a Primaris Army. I had a stock inquisitor with a thunderhammer, 3 arco's, 2 crusaders and 4 acolytes with storm bolters in a Sororitus Rhino. Firstly the Rhino was well worth it. It took a pounding in the first turn that would have wiped the unit. The Arco's are brutal. Especially if you have a priest nearby. That put a lot of pain down from the attacks, re-rolls and str 5. The Crusaders flaked pretty bad but that was bad rolls from me. That said, given the choice, I would go for a bigger unit of Arco's supported by a couple of Astropaths and a priest. The Inquisitor wiffed badly but that is mainly because I failed 4 acolyte charges in a row (I don't think taking them as separate units is worth it) and got spanked by the Primaris captain without a hit. I still cannot get my head around him having a 4+ with no ++ when a 20pnt platoon commander gets a 5++!

Ok, so I've decided to run hector rex 2 acolytes, 1 priest and 6 arcoflagellants. in vanguard detachment inside rhino.

And here is question. how to make propoer acolyte and priest? Make them as cheap as possible? I thought about Acolytes with stormbolters, and priest the same. But if there are any better configurations just give me advice:).

Why to take astropath? It can buff only Astra Militarum units.

If I want to take Astropath I'll take crusaders (they're in codex and they have astra militarum key word), so they can be buffed with -1 to hit.

But with arco i don't see any meaning to take them. But maby I'm wrong.

And from modeling point of viev. Do you guys have some ideas to make some acolyte conversion, same as priest?

I thought about sigmar war priest as a base and the add a storm bolter to it.

I don't have any idea of base for acolytes. Any ideas?

Arcoflagelants are ok (but maby you have some stunning ideas?:).)

Any ideas are welcomed

Edited by Aegir_Einarsson

I ran an inquisition detachment in a battle on Friday against a Primaris Army. I had a stock inquisitor with a thunderhammer, 3 arco's, 2 crusaders and 4 acolytes with storm bolters in a Sororitus Rhino. Firstly the Rhino was well worth it. It took a pounding in the first turn that would have wiped the unit. The Arco's are brutal. Especially if you have a priest nearby. That put a lot of pain down from the attacks, re-rolls and str 5. The Crusaders flaked pretty bad but that was bad rolls from me. That said, given the choice, I would go for a bigger unit of Arco's supported by a couple of Astropaths and a priest. The Inquisitor wiffed badly but that is mainly because I failed 4 acolyte charges in a row (I don't think taking them as separate units is worth it) and got spanked by the Primaris captain without a hit. I still cannot get my head around him having a 4+ with no ++ when a 20pnt platoon commander gets a 5++!

Re: the bolded, I am glad to hear the arco-flagellants getting some love and accomplishing something good on the tabletop. They are one of those units that I have always "liked" from a fluff perspective and wanted to be good, but they've been rather lacklustre for a while now. I've not used them in 8th but this gives me incentive to convert-up some more (I currently only have one) and make use of them. They've always appealed to me more than the whole BDSM-thing with the death cult assassins.