Crisis of Faith

SyNidus

So i'm having a little crisis of faith here. Is it just me or does it seem like our army has only one playstyle right now which is deepstrike/gate of infinity in their face and charge?

It's making me really want to sell my grey knights and i'd like to know if there are any other ways or army styles that could put some magic back in this relationship.

Cheers Lads!

I personally try to focus on why I chose them in the first place. Cool lore, even cooler models and weapons. They will always be numerically inferior to their enemies, but are way better trained and equipped. Also you could just play a little less competitive and focus on different types of themed lists, maybe a small group of paladins in land raiders or an all fly list with ravens, talons and interceptors...

And hope in the future we get some kind of attention.

I suppose the operative question is, how competitive is your meta? The less competitive, the more different playstyles you can affect.

To give you an example, my meta is about as non competitive as it gets, I can, and have, shown up with everything from my tournament army to whatever random models I tossed in a case and still managed victories, but it all comes down to the meta

I had a couple of games against death guard and it were them who actually wanted to get close to me. I gived every unit GoI and split my force to grab objectives all around the table. Whenerver DG got close to one of the units, I just teleported it away. My GMNDK DSed in the middle of the table and stayed there until end-game. He was shooting with 2+ BS with Psilencer and Psycannon and did quite well. I destroyed the most of DG force by bolter drill and charged only on the final turn to finish them off. It was a friendly game, of course, but it show that GK have potential for different strategies. 

In top tier competitive play, I argee, only way is to hope for T1 charges. But it is mostly because of competitive playstyle itself. Most top-tier lists now are about stand and shoot. And we want to silence long-ranged shooting as soon as possible. However, we still want to play defensively against armies that want to get in close combat themselves. Orks and Genestealer Cult are examples. 

All in all, I think, GK has a lot of variety in friendly games and still some in competitive play. Not as much as wanted though.

For sure there is variety. And yes competitive 40k is bland...it doesn’t bother me. I can only play so many ITC style games before I’m pulling my hair out. Most codexes are reduced to one list in that environment.

For the rest of the year there is normal, or slightly less competitive play.

If the game feels repetitious in playstyle to you there is a few things to look at. Table set up is a big one, but it’s been talked to Death...don’t leave massive Los holes through the middle of the table. Scenarios. Mix it up, play objectives.

Armywise? If someone told me they liked GK in 7 th, I’d tell them they’d probably like them a little more in 8 th because a few cool things opened up from the new rules set as well as the code. Plus Psychic is far less intensive book keeping.

Your lists are up to you. But there are a lot of things I’m using I never thought I would. The army flat out works best at mid range and closer but how you do that is up to the individual.

It’s always going to be a challenging army to play. That’s what draws some of us. But there’s a lot more to it.

Perhaps you are just really liking the playstyle of your Alpha Legion?

If Grey Knights had been plastic back when I got started, I'd have picked them as my first/only army hands down. No chaos (...well maybe world eaters whenever they eventually made new kits) no Tau.

The only other one would be Hooded/caped Black Templars, because that "accept any challenge, no matter the odds!" Was how I used to play videogames. I wasnt good mind you, a tomato can in Halo 2/3 if I'm honest, but I'd give it my best. Xbox live would deem me skilled enough to play against the Ogres back in their heyday (they were professional Halo players, it was a little like getting a pickup basketball game with LeBron James and Micheal Jordan) got my ass kicked hard, but I didn't give up.

Edited by Trevak Dal

• 2 weeks later...

My advice would be to stick with it, and try and play as many different people as possible. GK can still be fun. 

GK do have a viable monobuild, and its not pure melee btw. We do have guns as well.

As Prot mentioned, if you're a bit tired of the cutthroat nature of Matched Play, you can always do scenarios and fun games. Another option is to find games with people trying out new units or combos that aren't common. Lots of people in my group do that, bring a underused unit or try out new ideas. You focus less on winning at that point, and more on exploring how that new unit or tactic goes in a game.

Chapter Approved has been a massive disappointment (not just for us btw, its too early AND a trainwreck of decisions). But apparently GW will do another pass of the armies in March, we might see further changes in an FAQ or errata document. For now, the army is what it is.

I was considering selling out of GK and just focusing on my 30k Mechanicum/9th Age Chaos Dwarves. Having played with the codex a fair bit, the army still does cool things and somewhat functions as intended. I was quite burned out by 7th edition being so awful, and 8th still has teething problems. But GW appear to be making more of an effort to listen and counteract bad decisions. So I'm cautiously optimistic that given more time, we will see further changes.

I appreciate how disheartening it can be playing the army. GK are one of the most ignored factions, both on the tabletop and in the lore. But the army is still fun to play, and we're still one of the coolest looking armies out there. Try out units you don't normally play, or strategies you haven't tried yet :) try and find like minded people. 

So our +1 Deny. Possibly the only thing uniquely GK we had left.

1K sons warlord trait. Reroll any failed Deny tests.

And Relic. On any roll of a double, cast cannot be denied.

/sigh

I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s such a terrible Warlord trait, I’d use just about anything else. Plus most players ( myself included) use Ahriman and I don’t think he’ll be able to use it when the codex comes out.

1K got crushed by some pretty bad stuff. Psychic comparisons to GK, their new Relic is the tests on doubles can’t be denied or cancelled. That might be the worst unique Psychic Ability I’ve heard of to date.

To me this isn’t a GK thing. It’s more like GW is treading very lightly into 8 th Edition Psykers and doesn’t know what to do with it.

Apart from nerfing smite in the next balance update.

Thst might be the final nail for me.

If GW don't address any of our issue, and nerf smite...

Still last day of Chemo today. Hopefully ilk be feeling better and have more energy soon. Then is back to trying to swamp GW with GK fedback.

Thousand Sons don't seem to be a big impact on the game tbh. I think Tyranids or Eldar are a worse matchup in a psychic fight really. So not overly concerned. 

Smite seems kinda balanced compared to a lot of the other mortal wound spamming you can do with strategems or special rules.

I prefer the cautious approach, if it means they don't then do a 180 and massively nerf things. I think psykers are pretty balanced overall, there are just some cases where spamming of cheap ones for Smite spam is causing issues.

I typically play a very stand and shoot guard army (vostroyan) 

building a small GK force of magic slice and dice CC knights is really fun! 

You are literally the only person I know playing a CC Knight. BUT... do you mean pure CC? Or is this just a vanilla Errant or Paladin?

You are literally the only person I know playing a CC Knight. BUT... do you mean pure CC? Or is this just a vanilla Errant or Paladin?

I think he means CC Grey Knights, not an Imperial Knight.

I think he means CC Grey Knights, not an Imperial Knight.

Ah okay... well I think CC Grey Knights is kind of like saying 'shooting astra'. It's pretty much what the army does best. 

I had my hopes up for a minute there. I haven't used my Grey Knight Imperial Knight (Warden) for about a year.