Wraithhost lists with the new codex

Heliomanes

Hi! I decided to buy a few eldar models on impulse as a painting project, and want to expand them into an "army of the dead" wraithhost with constructs, revenants and seers.

How viable would this be with the new codex? How would you build it? Big wraiths with Iyanden, or wraithguard following the path of Ynnead? Do you have to use wave serpents, or could you do this semi competitively as a foot slogging list?

Have at it.

Wraithguard and Wraithblades are both very good in the new codex. They are very tough and very hit very hard. Their only drawback is their short range which can be mitigated to some extent with Wave Serpents and the possibly the Webway stratagem. I would definitely make these the core of your army but you will need to invest in at least 3 Wave Serpents. I have played Wraithguard a lot and I think you will struggle to use them effectively as foot-sloggers.

Wraithknights are overcosted by at least 100 points when compared to Imperial Knights (hardly a power-house unit themselves). Wraithlords are OK but need to be built in synergy with the rest of your list. If you are running Wraithguard in Serpents, build the Wraithlords to move quickly in support. I favour 2 Shuircannons, 2 flamers and a Glaive. This build can advance every turn and still fire which helps them to keep up with the Wave Serpents whilst still being fairly cheap. You opponent will be forced split his fire between the T7 Serpents with their Shields and the T8 Lords coming close behind them. The other option is a fire support lord with 2 Brightlances and 2 shuricats. He can stay near your deployment zone and threaten vehicles at range.

The Hemlock is also a Wraith unit and is one of the best Flyers in the game as well as being a psyker.

Although fluffy, the Iyanden trait does nothing for Wraithguard and I would be tempted to say that Ulthwé will be more effective. Ynnead is also a viable choice if you are willing to give up a Craftworld tactic.

A couple of Spirit Seers will go very well as Rune of Battle are very effective. Wraithguard with Protect are tougher then Terminators (particularly the Axe/Shield Wraithblades). A Farseer is always solid for Eldar.

Thanks for the feedback. I have to be frank, I simply don't like the look of the grav tanks at all. Do you think a wraith based list can function with tools like webway instead? How would you tweak a list around that limitation?

To be honest, you will struggle without transports.

The Webway stratagem will let you deliver 1 squad for 1 CP or 2 of them for 3CPs. My lists typically run at 6-7 CPs for 2000 points so that is half you CPs just to get 2 units into range of the enemy (although at least they won't cost you points). The problem with the Webway stratagem is that it really only suits Wraithguard with D-Cannons as they are the only ones who will be able to deploy within range to shoot. D-Scythes are only 8" range so a 9" deploy means they won't be able to fire they expensive guns on the turn they arrive unless you can cast Quicken on them (and you can bet your opponent will try to Deny that).

Wraithblades also don't do very well with a 9" deploy as that only gives them a 28% chance of making a successful charge move.

Even with D-Cannons, your opponent may deploy cheap infantry to screen his valuable targets. Wraithguard are cost effective when shooting at big targets like tank but less so if they are forced to fire at Scouts, Conscripts, Gaunts or other chaff.

The Webway stratagem can be a useful way to deploy a unit of Wraithguard as part of a mixed army. But if you are looking to run a Wraith-heavy list, it will not be enough on its own. Screening valuable units with cheaper units can deny you a worthwhile target to shoot while you will not reliably be able to charge with Wraithblades. Once they have deployed, your opponent may simply decide to move his tanks away from your slow moving Wraithguard in his subsequent turns.

If you want to avoid Grav tanks, you will need some faster units from other places in the Codex. Shining Spears and Swooping Hawks are both good in 8th edition. Jetbikes and Spiders are a little less good but still viable. Units like Striking Scorpions can deploy close to the enemy without requiring Stratagems and Dark Reapers can sit back and bombard the enemy without needing to get close in the first place.

You will probably be limited to just a couple of squads of Wraithguards in this case. I don't know whether this still fits your theme.

If you are not a fan of the Wave Serpent, you might be able to track down the old Forge World resin conversion kit for the Serpent. I don't know if the change in appearance is enough to satisfy you.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics6/img407348307ef5b.jpg

Thanks for all the good advice, guys! I'll build them into fewer, larger units so I can Webway and Quicken them a bit easier. I quite like the shadow spectres from FW - and they seem to fit the bill for more mobile and anti infantry units. I'll pick up some of those cheerful fellows when the next pay check arrives.

This whole thing started as an impulse buy because I wanted to paint wraithbone instead of rust, metals and bright layers of neat highlights. Here's a quick WIP  -

CO0iFHW.jpg

Sorry for the double post. Now that Ynneari have been thoroughly debuffed and don't seem unfair to the opponent - I've started stealing glances at them. Hypothetically - could you cast quicken, word of the phoenix and the shadowseer movement spell at the same unit? Say - a Solitaire, a unit of wraithblades or even a wraithknight? Sorry if this is a dumb question.