A Forge World Christmas 2017: Congrats jlmb_123

jbaeza94

I think the best story I have is from about 8 years ago or so, back when I was active on the Night Lords forum. There was a fan-run online campaign being run, which I unfortunately cannot remember the name of, in a similar style to the Eye of Terror campaign. There were a few different forums that got involved, with our forum being brought in under the wing of a larger Chaos forum.

The premise of the campaign was fairly simple. There was a planet being undergoing a civil war, and the various forums got divided up amongst the various warring nations, either supporting the Imperial loyalists, assisting in the secessionists, or simply wiping out the meatsacks in the case of the Necrons waking up in the tombs below. Because of the smaller scale involved, we were able to liaise directly with the organisers of the campaign, rather than simply post wins/losses, so we could have a say in how the story unfolded. I had the honour of being named the leader of the Night Lords forces involved, in a separate push from the other Chaos forces from the other forum.

Put simply, it was a massacre. We Night Lords swept over our continent, driving both the awakening Necrons, and Imperial defenders before us. I contacted the organisers of the campaign, and my own Chaos Lord, Caerolion, Dark Saint of the Night Lords, executed the opposing governor, and broadcast his execution across the continent. Sadly, this did not help our cause. The organisers decided to make things difficult for us, and instead of our actions disheartening the remnants of the opposing forces and breaking their spirit, we instead gave them a martyr. While we technically held 100% of the continent map, we started having guerilla strikes and insurrections occurring, aided by supporters from the very nation we were assisting, who felt that we weren't supporting them but rather fighting our own wars. Well, I guess they were technically right.

We were gearing up to assist our Chaos brothers on the other continent by this time, who had ground into a stalemate against more organized Imperial defenders, so these minor strikes were proving annoying. After a week of our progress being hampered by these vermin, I did what any good Night Lord would do in that situation. I ordered the others in our forum to no longer post our victories on the other continent. We had other targets now. I ordered them to commit genocide on the nation we had fought to help.

It was a weird feeling. This was a nation that didn't exist, a population that was entirely fictional, but I gave the word to other real people to commit atrocities and massacre the non-existent civilians, to break them once and for all. We left our continent as a graveyard, but we stopped them. It really was the weirdest feeling to give that order.

...Then the Imperials talked to the organisers, and started nuking us from a facility in the middle of the ocean somewhere.

I would just like to tip my hat and commend you for your generosity good sir!

And I wish everyone good luck and good fun in the competition!

Why don't you enter as well? Your welcome to join

I realise, thank you :) . I'm still fairly new to the hobby and the number of people we play against is fairly small. I don't have a lot of games under my belt just yet and the stories, while some of them may be fun, don't hold a candle to some of the stories people have written here. 

I also am fortunate enough to be able to provide for myself and buy some Forgeworld for myself. Hell, I have a Warlord Titan lying about from when I received a bonus last year, which is being incredibly slow in being assembled. I'd rather someone receive this gift that would never have bought the model otherwise. 

I'm sure the gift will be received gracefully and with gratitude, whoever wins and I'll enjoy reading the stories in the meantime :) .

I realise, thank you :smile.: . I'm still fairly new to the hobby and the number of people we play against is fairly small. I don't have a lot of games under my belt just yet and the stories, while some of them may be fun, don't hold a candle to some of the stories people have written here. 

I also am fortunate enough to be able to provide for myself and buy some Forgeworld for myself. Hell, I have a Warlord Titan lying about from when I received a bonus last year, which is being incredibly slow in being assembled. I'd rather someone receive this gift that would never have bought the model otherwise. 

I'm sure the gift will be received gracefully and with gratitude, whoever wins and I'll enjoy reading the stories in the meantime :smile.: .

You know, it's awesome to actually see people who have attitude like you do, in regards to not wanting to participate. I have to say, while the community of WH is quite positive on the whole, the level of kindness, selflesness and generaly niceness of people on B&C is just astounding.

I am a Dark Angel

I am a Dark Angel. I play as a Dark Angel. I don't play to win, I play to have fun. I play because I am passionate about the Dark Angels. I love the fluff. I love the minis. I love the history. While it may have lied dormant, I have Dark Angel blood in me. I like how we have different ways to play. I love how we have different character to play. While the rules may not regulate to it, I can take pride in my minis when I field them on the field as Dark Angels and not Space Marines in green. I do not knock off the the players who use the 5th edition Space Wolf codex to play as Dark Angels, for they do so because it gives they minis character with rules to play as Dark Angles. They do not do it to win, but to play as Dark Angels that our 4th edition codex does not let us do.

We do not need to win. We play to win yes, but we play for fun. We use the Dark Angels codex or play as Dark Angles that uses rules that can be relayed as Dark Angels when we play. We still loose. We still smile because we are playing with what we love. With what we are passionate about. While we may loose a lot, we do win sometimes. OH how much if the victory so much sweeter when we do win with our 4th edition codex or rules that represent Dark Angels.

I love our minis. I love the style of them. I love how we can paint them in multiple ways. We can paint them green. We can paint the white. We can paint them black. We can paint them any colour we want and we are always still as one.

Yes we may cry. Yes we may pout and complain. We act like little children having tantrums because our rules are bad or our rules don't really let us play as Dark Angels. Why do we complain? We complain because we are passionate about what we are. We love our history. We love our lore. Again, while we all love to win, we don't need to win. Why don't we need to win? Because we play Dark Angels. If we needed to win, we would be playing another army. Those armies do not give us joy though. Our modelling, our painting, our conversions, blood sweet and tears go into our minis. We take pride of our Dark Angel minis when we place them on the battlefield. While we know we face an uphill battle because our codex our the rules we choose to use, "gimp" us, we play like we are Dark Angels. You can say we are stubborn. No matter the odds, we still continue to play, just like our Brethen who lost their lives to the Genestealers. They didn't balk. They took on the odds and lost.

So while we may complain like little children that we have it so bad compared to others, we are only human. So we are unlike Dark Angels that way, that we misbehave that way. Again we are just human. We are also very much like the minis we play with as well. Because we are human, we are passionate. No matter the rules, we still buy our minis. We still enjoy modelling them. We still enjoy converting them. We still enjoy painting them. We have passion when we play them.

While I may have lost my way, I found my way home.

I am Dark Angel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So nice to be back, Home.

You sir. Yes, you. Have my like.

Well said, and welcome back :D

Ok, going to throw a story here and take part.

My best friend for over 29 years decided to join our gaming group about a year and a half back. He had always wanted to play but never considered the investment of time and money worth while, if he was goig to have noone to play with.

You have to understand. Over here in my city, big and wide though it may be, only now have we started seeing gaming stores popping up, and gaming groups were always either insular and unknown, or non existant.

Anyway, he joined me and my back-then-only warhammer pal. He decided to bring T'au to the table. Fiendishly evil space monsters, wielding heretical technology, and even more heretical ideologies.

He turned out to be the better commander of the three, to add insult to injury. We fought often, and through great effort, we managed to regularly end up tied in number of victories. Not one of us could claim victory for long over the other.

The only constant was this: His Crisis Commander would never die.

No matter what, he would always manage to survive, and having never seen himself taken out of the board, he was begging for a righteous ass kicking like only the mighty Deathwing could deliver.

So I made a list. I tinkered, tried, and fixed the most devastatingly powerful list I was capable of designing. A perfect mix of all three wings of the First Legion; tailored specifically to counter everything I knew he could throw at me.

We set a date and assembled our armies. We met on the field of battle, and as he placed his Commander on the ground, I could feel the fury and might of the Emperor himself surging through me.

We fought for hours upon hours. Each turn I saw my list perform even better than I had planned. The dice seemed to agree on my divine purpose of crushing these alien aberrations from the surface of the board, giving me perfect saves and perfect kills.

Turn after turn the T'au fell to plasma and bolter, until turn 5, when only him. Only his Crisis Commander remained.

From amidst the heap of dead warriors, my opponent grabbed a die. And then, turning his trust on his own bad luck, which had haunted him throughout the battle, aiding me in turn with my glorious mission of conquest, he rolled.

And with nothing but a single die, he took my victory from me.

As the numbers settled, I could see that the match was over. No extra turns. The end came on the bottom of round five. His Commander stood, alone and ashamed, but alive.

That was the last time he ever played it. Never again has he placed him at the command of the army. My opponent brings him only to taunt me with him, but never chooses to have him face me again.

In my dreams, I kill him every night.

But, alas, to my everlasting frustration, he will forever remain the one that got away.

(EDITED for typos and sintax)

Edited by Berzul

I got back into 40k after a brief childhood interest in 2013. Since then, I have moved five different times, and have spent most of that time living in an area that was too far removed from major civilization to have a gaming scene. I'm not a competitive gamer, but I do love the cinematic possibilities of a game. Unfortunately, I find it hard to get that from a game with unpainted models.

I personally only will play with painted models, but I certainly don't begrudge others who don't have the time or interest to paint a full army. And going to the gaming stores I have been able to play at, I played against a lot of grey armies. I still had a good time, and met a lot of good people, but it never was quite what I was looking for out of a game.

I will however never forget the first game that I played where every model on the table was fully painted. This was at some point during seventh edition and I managed a game against a guy with a great ork army. I was playing a home brew space marine army at the time with a lot of tactical marines with rhinos, some bikes, and a chapter master, with honor guard in a land raider. The Ork list was lots of boys in trucks and a war boss with nobs in a battle wagon. Neither list was particularly optimized, but there were lots of bodies on the table and lots of carnage all over the place. The game reached a climax where my chapter master and squad were duking it out with the Warboss and Nobs in ferocious melee.

I honestly can't remember who won, but that game was so much fun for both of us. Neither of us really cared who won, we just enjoyed rolling dice and smacking the tar out of each other's armies. I really look forward to the next time that I get a chance to have a game like that. 

This is a lovely competition, thanks for putting it up!

I've just played my 3rd 8th ed. game as I've finally collected enough models to tailor my Ravenwing army. I've loved Ravenwing since 2nd ed. when I first saw the Ravenwing Attack Bike rules in White Dwarf and when they first started to emerge as a distinct force in 3rd. One thing I've found over this and 7th ed. is that I win about half the time but I hang in every game and always have a moment where one model performs above and beyond.

In 7th ed. I first put my RW army together and ran a lot of Black Knights in the RW Strike Force. It was fairly cheesy, maybe not scat-bike roquefort level but certainly in the medium-strong cheddar zone. It was hard to tell who it would do well against but there was a delicious sense of danger when taking on tough opposition as my firepower and toughness were never enough to destroy something or hold out long term but just good enough to get the job done and win on objectives.

Take my mate's Wraithlord. He'd munched his way throught two poorly-placed Land Speeders and an Attack Bike whilst the scat-bikes and grav tanks whittled down my bikes and Black Knights. He has three scoring units left and chooses to charge my lone Black Knight with the Wraithknight. What happens? It gets overwatched out of his last hit then assaults and routs his bike squad, scoring me a draw.

I found 8th ed. hard with the models I had but rebuilt amd played with the list this weekend. There's a Stormfang with 15 Blood Claws and Ragnar on the table. My various Land Speeders, bolstered by Sammael, whittle it down. My one Black Knight squad all miss. My plasma bikers get one wound. My biker Librarian ... pings the last wound off with a boltgun shot! This is all in turn one. I lost the game by turn four but it was epic and shows what playing an army which you really enjoy can bring you.

My last game of 7th edition with my Angels of Shadow:

I was against a Russ heavy Guard list at the local club one winters friday eve. A good friend of mine was willing to help me send 7th out with a bang. He brought 5 russes and various support tanks (Wyverns, Chimeras and the like) while I brought out The Big Gun itself, my beloved Plasma Obliterator. His infantry, and even the lighter tanks, could find no cover from the fury of a seething star as High Redemptionist Nosveratus directed the ancient weapon at the foe...but this tale is not about big guns and mighty engines...

Enter Paladin Aloysius, The Dream Walker. With the Command Squad of 3rd Company under strength, Aloysius was put in temporary command of one of two Veteran squads of the esteemed company. His squad were to be the bodyguard for Dark Master Nightshade as they spearheaded the assault into the enemy lines. Alas a well placed shot from a Russ' Battle Cannon destroyed the tracks on their Land Raider and forced the Veterans to make the last dozen yards on foot. With a veteran armed with a combat shield and power sword on either side, and a further two wielding chainswords and bolt pistols as support, Aloysius gripped his thunder hammer tightly and lifted his Storm Shield against the wave of doom that washed over the Astartes. His arm grew tired, the storm shield bearing the brunt of the firestorm, as though the shield was the anvil of gods long lost. He was the Paladin of the 3rd, and while he was not in the Command Squad, Aloysius would not let harm befall his brethren nor his Master.

His resolve was grim, his hearts were pure, his hammer held high. Alas, even Adamantium has a breaking point. Aloysius never reached the enemy as his body succumed to the earth-shattering forces bestowed upon it. His sacrifice allowed his brethren to reach the enemy lines and tear apart their tanks with meltabombs and krak grenades, Dark Master Nightshade swinging his mighty Halocite blade into the iron flanks of the machines.

So after the land raider got immobilised by a Vanquisher I had the veterans and my Company Master make a desperate charge hoping to tank as much as I could on the storm shield of the sergeant and two dudes with combat shields. I got many comments on the squad load out, as well as my Company Master and his "big *cough*-off sword". Now, I failed the first charge which left the squad in front of the Vanquisher and two standard Russes. Wipe out the Veterans and my Master, there's Slay the Warlord. 6 models suffered around 25 wounds, all of which would have caused Instant Death. The sergeant tanked 22 wounds, and died while trying to tank the 23rd. People came to watch as I rolled the dice, 1 at a time, in an effort to prevent wounds from spilling over. I never rolled the same dice twice. I'm thinking my ye olde metal Venerable Dreadnought has found a new pilot.

Gamesday 2009, Pisa.

The Dark Angels were besieged by orks - just a few regular marines in a Fortress of Redemption against a xeno horde (every unit destroyed would come back a turn later) which even had a stompa.

All painted. A handful of Dark Angels against a neverending sea of monsters.

It truly looked like Helm's Deep. 
A force of Crimson Fists was meant to arrive as reinforcement, but alas it was lost in the warp (the player said he wouldn't be coming at turn three or something like that, I can't rember).

Instead, my Deathwing arrived! It was one of two occasions where I got to field my 50 (more or less) terminators all together, led by Belial. 

By the Lion, the slaughter was glorious! 

It still warms my heart to think of that game. 
I still have the commemorative pin of the event - and a soft spot for the terminator who singlehandedly destroyed the stompa.

Congrats jlmb! We look forward to seeing to some painted resin in the near future!

Thank you for running this event Jbaeza. Your generosity knows no bounds. That Leviathan is and will stay my most prized unit, and I hope and expect jlmb will have a similar experience with his choice.