Competitive wolves without razorbacks?

Anarnii

Greetings from the fang.

I started my wolves quite late into 7th when the 30k rumours were starting, mainly as I love the asthetic and background but also as a potential allied force to my grey knights. My death guard army is very focused on rhino chassis tanks, so my goal got my wolves was to include no rhino size vehicles and go with a drop pod / terminators list with a few dreads for support.

I really like the changes to 8th, but every list I know see has several razorbacks, occasionally a rhino.

With the current meta, can pods ever be successful? What about with the rumoured points drop?

Any success stories?

Edited by Anarnii

no. and no it does not fix any problems drop pods have in 8th ed. You can some sort of counter attack soup list that uses IG and SW and assasins, that does not run any vehicles other then maybe  a flyer or land speeders. But this is A hard to  play [you can do the same list with marines and it is better] B full of non SW stuff[matters to some people] and C razorbacks make up better lists.

I your best bet is to wait for the chapter approved and see what benefits they provide the older fractions. If wolves get a stratagem that lets them deep strike/out flank a unit or two it becames more viable, or if pods became a lot cheaper. But index vs. codex is just rough but this is the fastest changing meta I've ever seen in the hobby simply because of the pace that they are releasing books, and FAQS. So I wouldn't worry about it too much. 

No, the price drop on pods and the increase on RBs is not enough to make pods viable. Part of the problem is that RBs suit wolves rather well as our Troops cannot take heavy weapons.

Personally I will trim my list slightly to save a few points and run my 2 AC/RBs just as I do currently. 2 isn't really spamming and they fill a valuable infantry-clearing role while my Fangs and Hellblasters concentrate on armoured targets. When they get close enough, the Grey Hunters hop out and add their plasma guns to the mix and then charge the left overs.

Not to mention, a Razorback is the perfect accompaniment for a Long Fangs pack with a Wolf Guard Pack Leader attached.  Gives you mobility, added firepower, and even some cover.

I typically run my LFs with 5 heavy weapons, use the squad leader as chaff, then include a TDAWG with SS/CML. It would fit in a LR (actually, 2 of such units could fit in a LRC), but not a RB.

Not to mention, a Razorback is the perfect accompaniment for a Long Fangs pack with a Wolf Guard Pack Leader attached.  Gives you mobility, added firepower, and even some cover.

I typically run my LFs with 5 heavy weapons, use the squad leader as chaff, then include a TDAWG with SS/CML. It would fit in a LR (actually, 2 of such units could fit in a LRC), but not a RB.

Ive been trying to move my lists toward including TDAWG pack leaders like this too. I assume your using him to tank lascannon shots and the like? Do you find that adding the CML or other upgrades is worth the points?

I feel like this question is still on topic because in all likelyhood the point increases on the RBs will cause some belt tightening.

Ive been trying to move my lists toward including TDAWG pack leaders like this too. I assume your using him to tank lascannon shots and the like? Do you find that adding the CML or other upgrades is worth the points?

I feel like this question is still on topic because in all likelyhood the point increases on the RBs will cause some belt tightening.

The CML on TDAWG depends on your goal for the squad.

If the TDAWG is there to eat heavy weapons you should NOT put a CML on him.  His role is to tank shots and save the expensive LFs with heavy weapons.  If you put a CML on him he becomes the most expensive heavy weapon guy in the entire squad.

If your goal is to maximize anti armor then hell ya plop it on.  A squad full of heavy weapons with a CML as the cherry on top is fun.

I am building a mix of the 2 currently

(2) squads of 5xPC + TDAWG with CML and SS

(1) squad of 5xLC + TDAWG with power sword and SS as baby sitter (if some MSU assault squad or something shows up and charges the TDAWG can hold his own)

In the LC squad the TDAWG is specifically there to eat incoming fire (it should draw attention)

In the PC squads it will depend on what is coming my way

I also have 5 cyber wolves as a screening force to prevent unexpected visitors

And to synergize my heavy investment in LFs I have an Outrider detachment with a WGBL with jump pack and TH/SS plus 5 cyberwolves to babysit them  (the cyberwolves are individual units and spread out to prevent deep strike/flanking)

This heavy point investment gives me the LF natural reroll of 1's to hit and then reroll wounds to get the most bang for my heavy weapon bucks

Still need to field test this but it is my current plan