Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A Broken Throne - Legio II - The Lightning Bearers

• Please log in to reply
315 replies to this topic

Grifftofer

Grifftofer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,067 posts

Ok. So here are the suggestions that I've got with regards to the Legiones Astartes rules and the wargear item that I thought of.

Legiones Astartes (Harbingers)

• Legiones Astartes - Units with this special rule may always attempt to regroup regardless of casualties.

• Ascetic Regimen - Models with this special rule must generate psychic powers from the Divination or Fulmination disciplines, and get +1 to manifestation rolls for those disciplines if they have Psychic Focus.

• Samsara - At the beginning of each game roll one dice for each unit with this special rule plus one for each Psychic Mastery level on units with this special rule, each roll of 4+ give the army 1 Samsara. Each point of Samsara may be spent to re-roll a single D6 during the battle. The normal rules regarding re-rolls apply to those granted by Samsara (i.e. you may not re-roll a re-roll).

• Pride of the First: A model with this special rule may not benefit from a special rule, psychic power or the Leadership of a model that does not also have this special rule. [I will add to Icarion’s Sire rule to make sure he counts as a Harbinger for the purposes of this rule]

Unique Wargear - Focusing Crystals

Any character with the Legiones Astartes (Harbingers) special rule can take Focusing Crystals for +10 points.

Focusing Crystals give the character's unit a +1 modifier to their rolls at the beginning of the game to determine Samsara. Dice for the unit as well as any Mastery Levels the unit has get the +1 bonus (roll any dice with the bonus separately to those without). Additionally, friendly Psykers may re-roll one failed dice to manifest a psychic power that target's the unit with Focusing Crystals. This benefit can only be used once per Psychic Phase.

I have tweaked the Samsara ability slightly to account for some concerns that came up during discussion last night, as well as to justify the addition of the Ascetic Regimen ability. I think that the downside is sufficiently strong to make up for them as it is essentially a harsher version of the one that Sons of Horus have, as it stops them from gaining any benefits from allied characters/units.

The crystals are a nice little bonus to help enhance the army's main benefit (Samsara) and also makes buffing powers more reliable on your own units, which feels fitting for one of the pre-eminent divination legions.

Anyway, I think that's everything I have for now. Look forward to hearing people's thoughts on this.

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,745 posts
  • Faction: Inkspillers
As in there's a slot going besides the one Empyon takes up? Also, what's an enforcer unit meant to look like?

Maybe a vehicle unit could be good. I missed Grifft's relic suggestion

Humble scrivener - alternate Episode IX attempt now complete!

Caretaker of the Lightning Bearers and member of the Broken Throne alt-Heresy project

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,024 posts
Suggestions for the enforcer type unit.
At a guess they would go to lengths to be intimidating, particularly against baseline humans. Unlikely to have anti-vehicle weapons. I imagine them to be few squads assigned to keep an eye on planetary governors and generals to make sure that they follow Icarion's edicts, rather than something like Astartes Arbites or Commissars.

Edited by Beren, 19 February 2018 - 03:19 PM.

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,787 posts
  • Faction: Halcyon Wardens, Blood Angels

As in there's a slot going besides the one Empyon takes up? Also, what's an enforcer unit meant to look like?

Maybe a vehicle unit could be good. I missed Grifft's relic suggestion

If you choose, Empyon could take up your second character slot. 

That's up to you, Athrawes never gave any details to it. So, ask yourself, what kind of unit would Icarion need to create to maintain his authority in his new empire? Beren's already given you one idea. 

Also, Grifft isn't suggesting a relic, but a wargear. A relic is a hefty, one-of-a-kind piece of equipment, usually some kind of uber weapon that can be wielded by a single officer. Whereas the wargear can be taken by multiple individuals/units.

Project Leader of the Brotherhood of the Lost

The Second Son: Narrative of the BOTL Vth Legion Primarch

Brotherhood of the Lost has arrived on Patreon

gallery_92945_11930_24196.png

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,745 posts
He was meant to, so fine by me.

There's some unit in the Astral Claws with a similar purpose, I think. Let me dig out Badab I when I get home.

Wargear should be fairly esoteric. Arc weapons are strictly AdMech I know, but I'd dig something close to that.

For the third character, perhaps a Consul/Centurion/Chief Librarian type?

Caretaker of the Lightning Bearers and member of the Broken Throne alt-Heresy project

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,787 posts

He was meant to, so fine by me.

There's some unit in the Astral Claws with a similar purpose, I think. Let me dig out Badab I when I get home.

Wargear should be fairly esoteric. Arc weapons are strictly AdMech I know, but I'd dig something close to that.

For the third character, perhaps a Consul/Centurion/Chief Librarian type?

1. Good.

2. Sounds good.

3. Does this mean you don't like Grifft's suggestion or you're using one of your supplement slots? Additionally, perhaps a relic from the Thunder King's vault could serve as the Harbingers' relic?

4. Potential. The only question I'd have is do you want to have a Chaos character to represent the Legion's eventual shift?

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,745 posts
I'm trying to find Grifft's suggestion at the moment.

I'd thought there was a fourth slot available tbh. Put it down to what I thought we arch-Traitor's privileges seeing as SoH Luperci are rumoured to appear at some stage and that, including Loken, they've had four characters so far.

Edited by bluntblade, 19 February 2018 - 06:22 PM.

Grifftofer

Grifftofer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,067 posts

Ok. It might be helpful for us to break down the whole thing so we can all know exactly what is available to us.

HARBINGERS LEGION RULES - WIP

[WARGEAR] - Aetheric Lore

[UNIT] - Oni Spectre Squad

[UNIT] - Volta Terminator Squad

[CHARACTER] - Raiden Athrawes

[CHARACTER] - Empyon Susanoo

[FREE] - Focusing Crystals (Wargear)

[FREE] - 'Enforcer' Squad (Unit)

[FREE] -

[FREE] -

[RITE] - Destined Assault

[RITE] -

[RELIC] -

[PRIMARCH] - Icarion Anasem

Green is for items already written up and part of the Legion's accepted background (even if some tweaks may be made). Yellow slots are the suggestions that have been put forwards by various people that haven't yet been confirmed (afaik). The remaining slots are those that from what I can see have yet to be filled.

Hopefully having it written out like this will let us all get to grips with what is already used, what is potentially available and what is currently open. If I've missed anything let me know and I'll fix the post :)

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,745 posts
Wow that yellow is bright.

Ok, then. Empyon is definite, could you talk me through how the focusing crystals act in game?

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,787 posts

This is what Grifft suggested:

"Unique Wargear - Focusing Crystals

Any character with the Legiones Astartes (Harbingers) special rule can take Focusing Crystals for +10 points.

Focusing Crystals give the character's unit a +1 modifier to their rolls at the beginning of the game to determine Samsara. Dice for the unit as well as any Mastery Levels the unit has get the +1 bonus (roll any dice with the bonus separately to those without). Additionally, friendly Psykers may re-roll one failed dice to manifest a psychic power that target's the unit with Focusing Crystals. This benefit can only be used once per Psychic Phase."

Privately, I think that's too cheap for having two moderate benefits. 

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,745 posts

A bit cheap perhaps, but I do like the core concept.

Grifftofer

Grifftofer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,067 posts

I'm not convinced its that cheap, much more expensive and it'd be not worth taking. A +1/6 chance of getting a re-roll (maybe more if they are a Psyker) and then a single re-roll to manifest a power at them is not really all that good. It's a nice benefit to have, but I wouldn't classify it as being better than re-roll failed Morale checks of a Vexilla, or the no-scatter and artillery buffs of a Nuncio-Vox.

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,787 posts

I'd like this to be play-tested, but I'll offer a tentative 'alright'.

Now, what about the other slots?

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,745 posts
I'm tempted to do a Choom-pattern Something, just not sure what.

We've discussed a Thunder King relic, which probably ought to be a weapon if some sort.

Grifftofer

Grifftofer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,067 posts

I remember blunt suggesting some kind of a unique vehicle. And wanting a Rite of War that showcased their high technology weapon stores. There was also discussion of some kind of a lightning weapon too if I remember correctly.

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,745 posts
Yep. Might be the Tesla or Arc weapons wielded by the Mechanicum, with the Legio Telesto wielding Titan-scale ones

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,787 posts

Yep. Might be the Tesla or Arc weapons wielded by the Mechanicum, with the Legio Telesto wielding Titan-scale ones

Well, let us know what you commit to. You only have two free slots left. 

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,745 posts
Will do. What do you reckon would be a good choice for a vehicle? Wondering about a Fire Raptor variant, something that'd reflect the orbital plate-bound nature of Madrigal's civilisation

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,787 posts

Will do. What do you reckon would be a good choice for a vehicle? Wondering about a Fire Raptor variant, something that'd reflect the orbital plate-bound nature of Madrigal's civilisation

That makes sense. Is there a 'choom' variant?

Grifftofer

Grifftofer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,067 posts

No, so far the Fire Raptor only has solid shot weapons in it's turrets and ventral mount. (quad heavy bolters/dual reaper autocannons & twin-linked avenger bolt cannon)

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,745 posts
CHOOM FALCON!

ShadowSwordmaster

ShadowSwordmaster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 249 posts

Mind if I make a suggestion?

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,745 posts
Of course

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,787 posts

Between the 'Choom' falcon and a lightning gun, that fills up the slots, barring Shadow's suggestion. What about the relic? Ranged or melee?

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,745 posts
Ranged, given that we will have a melee buff for the Legion in their rules

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users