Thousand Sons and Forge World

Sonoftherubric21

So for everyone here I am looking for a consensus; what is everyone's favorite or "go to" unit from the Forgeworld index for the Thousand Sons?

I own a wide variety from a Leviathan which I customized with Grav flux/Claw, to a Sicaran, to a Whirlwind made to be a Scorpus. 

I also own a single Dreadclaw (as I really wanted a drop pod option for Rubrics) and 3 separate Contemptors with different/varied load outs. 

I often take a Duel-Kheres Contemptor with my thousands sons against many lists due to the army having innate "horde" issues; quality shooting we have in plethora....volume? not so much. 

My Sicaran usually takes the place of 2 Predators and is about as effective if faster/more mobile.  The Leviathan is another fun option with some dedicated Anti-Tank as Grav-flux Bombards are insane, It also is a massive threat in Melee to anything it can get its claws into. 

What is everyone elses favorite options to supplement our index list? 

In 40k, my go to forge world tank for TS is a Hellforged Land Raider Achilles.

It is dirt cheap, comes with a pair of Twin Multi Meltas, a 4+ invuln save, more wounds than a Land Raider and a main gun that pumps out 2d3 shot that automatically cause Mortal Wounds if you hit.

It basically fits in with the dynamic of the army (lots of mortal wounds, and invuln saves)but helps deal with heavy armor and high durability units.

I have been looking at FW options recently and have been trying to decide between a decimator and contemptor.

Decimator with 2x soulburners looks like a solid option, 5++ and healing 1 wound a turn. 4D3 shots with mortal wounds on 3+ is decent, but only 24"

Contemptor with 2 butcher cannons is lots of shots hitting on 2's and S8 is nice, but only -1 AP.

I have been looking at FW options recently and have been trying to decide between a decimator and contemptor.

Decimator with 2x soulburners looks like a solid option, 5++ and healing 1 wound a turn. 4D3 shots with mortal wounds on 3+ is decent, but only 24"

Contemptor with 2 butcher cannons is lots of shots hitting on 2's and S8 is nice, but only -1 AP.

The soulburners are great, that's why I love the Hellforged achilles, It's Soulburner bombard is doubt the range of the Decimators soulburner Petard, and without the chance of causing a mortal wound to itself. on rolls of 1.

Both are solid options, but 19 wounds, 2+ save, 4++, and the fact that is is still relatively decent in cc with Infernal hunger, Machina Malifica and the increasing WS from 5+ to 3+, put my love firmly with the Achilles.

What do you guys think about the Deredeo with Malignatas Sakers as an anti-tank option? Also thinking about Twin Multi-melta Contemptor, but I don't know... Unfortunately I don't have the Achilles yet, but it seems like a worthy acquisition.

What do you guys think about the Deredeo with Malignatas Sakers as an anti-tank option? Also thinking about Twin Multi-melta Contemptor, but I don't know... Unfortunately I don't have the Achilles yet, but it seems like a worthy acquisition.

Despite nice AP and wound mechanic I think it's terrible, only two shots and same damage as lascannon.

I am struggling to find a long ranged high strength support unit for my thousand sons at 1000 points. Land raiders are too expensive at that level, las predators just feel a bit boring, maybe a dual C-beam contemptor? but that can't move which isn't great.

I have been considering a helforged leviathan, it moves 8" with warptime it is 16" up the table, I could then advance or use some of the powerful, but short ranged weaponry. Any thoughts?

siege drill and soulburner ribdaukin seems solid

I am struggling to find a long ranged high strength support unit for my thousand sons at 1000 points. Land raiders are too expensive at that level, las predators just feel a bit boring, maybe a dual C-beam contemptor? but that can't move which isn't great.

I have been considering a helforged leviathan, it moves 8" with warptime it is 16" up the table, I could then advance or use some of the powerful, but short ranged weaponry. Any thoughts?

siege drill and soulburner ribdaukin seems solid

i mean the cheapest, long range/high damage asset for Chaos are hellbrutes with missile launcher and twin las or Las Predators. There arent really many FW units that clock in at more efficient at lower points brackets than those.

Despite nice AP and wound mechanic I think it's terrible, only two shots and same damage as lascannon.

I understand that, it's a bit underwhelming as a main weapon, but my reasoning is as follows:

PROS (vs Discopred)

-Higher AP makes it superior against scary targets (2+ save vehicles)

-Same logic for the wounding mechanic (vehicles almost never have more than 8 Ld, which is very easy with 3 dice)

-Auxiliary weapons (GHC and Twin HBs) offer more tactical flexibility and can ensure a better overall impact, sometimes even against an armored target

-Hits on a 2+ (HUGE).

CONS

-Less dedicated AT shots

-40 points more

Overall: The amount of 5+ saves my enemies have made on key vehicles or the amount of 3+ Predators fail to hit worries me, and forces me to seek alternatives. With vehicles like the Sicaran Venator getting heavy points reduction on the upcoming Chapter Approved, I expect the Deredeo with Malignatas to also drop at least 20 points.

Maybe it's the grass is greener effect, but I don't have a Leviathan and I'd love one.

I did get a Decimator with 3 arms: 2 Soulburner Pertards with Heavy Flamers, and one Decimator Claw arm. So far I prefer the Soulburner/Claw combo. The dual Soulburner might be better, but he's so fast that I want to make sure he can do real damage in CC.

The thing is he dies super fast, and I haven't had him last long enough in a game yet to actually do much damage. So maybe it's me. Maybe I should pull him out again.

Fire Raptor is cool too, but point heavy.

With the FW point changes, I'll definitely be getting the FW osiron dreadnought with a multimelta, 172 points for a T7 W10 dread that you can buff up to 4+ invuln looks great!

it's a bit annoying that the multimelta is a heavy weapon, but hitting on 3+ after moving isn't terrible

Dunno if anyone noticed yet, but the Dreadclaw went down to 130. Drop in with a 9-man of Warpflamer Rubrics and a Sorcerer with Warp Time and melt some faces....or let it start on the table and time things so that you can Warp Time it forward after its first move. Might be a good way to use the 112 pt Exalted on foot. As a note, if you want to mix Daemon units and other TS troops, you can do so because the Dreadclaw allows units with the same <MARK OF CHAOS> keyword (i.e. "TZEENTCH") even if they don't have the same Legion.

Cheaper Contemptors are great, especially with dual Chainclaws to fill the assault niche or maybe a Butcher/Claw to avoid wasting their CC prowess. Dual Butcher Decimator is also nice....and can benefit from the Changeling.

Between an expensive pod, expensive flamers, the fact warptime can screw up, and the fact if it does the flamers don't get to shoot at all-this is too costly and risky in my eyes.

If the risk isn't something you want, then start the pod on the table and have it move into position. Alternately, use 2x5 Rubrics with one Soulreaper and one pistol each and the rest Inferno Bolters. Then the pod can charge at some point to tie up big CC threats or silence a tank.