Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Get Ready For Chapter Approved

• Please log in to reply
728 replies to this topic

Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra

Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,663 posts

Link

Are you ready for Chapter Approved?

Chapter Approved is your essential gaming supplement, packed with new missions, rules and even hobby tips designed to make your games of Warhammer 40,000 as awesome as they can possibly be. You’ll find the creative, experimental spirit of classic Warhammer publications like Rogue Trader and the previous incarnation of Chapter Approved combined with the polish and streamlining you’ve come to expect from the latest edition of Warhammer 40,000. We’ll be previewing just some of what you can expect to find in your copy throughout this week, starting with a look at the return of a much-loved feature from Rogue Trader – vehicle design rules!

Converting is a great part of the Warhammer 40,000 hobby. While our miniatures cover a vast swathe of the 41st Millennium, there’s huge scope for more, and converting models – or even writing their own datasheets – allows hobbyists to recreate some of the lesser-known aspects of the background and express their creativity. This is celebrated in Chapter Approved, which features rules for designing your own Land Raiders.

The Land Raider is one of the most customisable Warhammer 40,000 kits, thanks to five “hard points” that fit a range of Space Marine vehicle weaponry. As such, we decided that the Land Raider would be the perfect candidate for our first set of vehicle design rules.

Designing a Land Raider is simple. Each Land Raider has a main armament that determines its total transport capacity; hurricane bolters, for instance, give you 16 transport slots, while lascannons give you 10. From there, you’re able to choose a range of secondary armaments, from even more sponson weapons, to secondary abilities such as frag assault launchers. From a Chaos Titan-killer bristling with lascannons, to a Space Wolves assault vehicle armed with both helfrost and inferno cannons, there’s a huge range of possibilities available.

What’s best about these rules is that they’re just guidelines, aimed at providing a strong base for you to build on with conversions of your own. The beauty of open play is the variety and experimentation it allows, and perhaps you could apply these rules to Predators or even Tyranid bio-beasts.

You’ll be able to pre-order Chapter Approved (and start designing your own Land Raiders) on Saturday the 25th – in the meantime, pick up a Land Raider here.

Edited by Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra, 18 November 2017 - 05:07 PM.

we_badge_ezra.png

Dulahan

Dulahan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 272 posts

Wow, coming earlier than I expected.  I could swear I read somewhere it was due for release closer to Christmas.

Still, not unwelcome!

HCMistborn

HCMistborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,611 posts
  • Chapter Name: Custodes Advance Force
Well, the design rules match the rumored ones, so maybe the rest of the rumors line up. I'd also like a unified idea on if they support conversions or not.
  • SickSix likes this

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 581 posts
  • Chapter Name: Storm Wardens

There's some irony in them going on about conversions whilst doing all they can to restrict what new units can use and make just about everything monopose. 

• Ulfgrim Alvsbane, Noserenda, DuskRaider and 9 others like this

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,986 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Chapter Name: Chaos and Wolves
Now I can have a Landraider covered in flamers for my Word Bearers. Yay!!
  • Reldn, SickSix and MaliGn like this

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.pngCall_of_Chaos_10_Banner_00.jpg

Blog - Gates of Helvete

“Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken.” - Terry Pratchett, Eric

Triszin

Triszin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,720 posts

a Space Wolves assault vehicle armed with both helfrost and inferno cannons, there’s a huge range of possibilities available.

OH MY

OHHHH

MYYYYYYYY

• Fang_Guard23 and Runefyre like this

banana

TURBULENCE

TURBULENCE

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 274 posts
Hopefully they factor in death guard weapons like they are with SW frost weapons. I really want to build a toxic raider.
  • Plaguecaster likes this

NovemberIX

NovemberIX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 861 posts
  • Chapter Name: November Warriors

I'll be holding out hope that rhino based rules come soon that way I can run my Rikarious, but this is gonna be so bad for my wallet already, now I'm thinking about Bolter Raiders, Flamer Raiders, Grav and Melta, maybe a naked transport only Raider. The possibilities have got me excited.

StormLion

StormLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 69 posts
Well if this is pre-order on the 25th, I doubt we are getting a codex announcement this week.

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 581 posts
  • Chapter Name: Storm Wardens

Hopefully they factor in death guard weapons like they are with SW frost weapons. I really want to build a toxic raider.

Don't hold your breath. They're not loyalists.

• Trevak Dal likes this

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,784 posts
  • Chapter Name: Crimson Lords

I'm ready! Haven't touched a Land Raider in years. Maybe it's time to pick one up for my Blood Angels. 

helterskelter

helterskelter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,906 posts
  • Chapter Name: Night Lords Legion
I wonder do I wonder if no sponsons is 20 transport spaces. So you can have a budget Spartan with just a front mounted set of guns and your pintle set?
gallery_48988_10980_7442.png

My referal code for eternal crusade:EC-MHXKY9RLYIIEH

Rik Lightstar

Rik Lightstar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 677 posts
  • Chapter Name: Astral Claws, Tiger Claws

There's some irony in them going on about conversions whilst doing all they can to restrict what new units can use and make just about everything monopose.

They do want to promote conversions but only for "Open and Narrative Play" the Codexes really NEED to be tight for tournaments.

I'd expect to see more of this stuff under the Chapter Approved Banner as "optional rules".

Rik
  • Plaguecaster, Happy-inquisitor and Guiltysparc like this

The Codex Astartes: Taking Away The Freedom Of The Astartes To Pigeonhole Themselves, 
And Restricting Them To Supreme Flexibility Since M31

MaliGn

MaliGn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 774 posts

Now I can have a Landraider covered in flamers for my Word Bearers. Yay!!

Yup, I always fancied a Redeemer for mine, I feel a new project crystallising.
  • Slave to Darkness likes this

CaptainMarsh

CaptainMarsh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 277 posts
  • Chapter Name: Order of the Vigilant Heart

I am excited about VDR. I don't care much about Land Raiders, but the concept of VDR is super cool. I would like to make new stuff for the Guard like Fire Support Sentinels, Taurox-based tanks, militarized Land Crawlers. Will I someday have the rules to do this? I somehow doubt VDR will have that sort of flexibility in the future, but I can hope!

QUOTE (BrotherAtrox @ Oct 5 2008, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pieces of paper for impassable terrain? My main problem with all of this is it really takes away from the game. A giant sheet of white paper on the table sort of breaks the theme of tiny fake armies running around tiny fake locales.

Real men play Adepta Sororitas!

Shockmaster

Shockmaster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 211 posts
  • Chapter Name: Death Guard

Interesting to see what other additional optional rules are included as if the build your own Land Raider is only for Loyalists or does not include Death Guard specific weapons I will likely give this a pass since the points changes will be on Battlescribe soon enough anyway.

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,988 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars/Grey Talons
But your Primaris can't use them! Cheers!
  • Frater Cornelius likes this

Gentlemanloser

Gentlemanloser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,732 posts
Wow a lot early than expected!

I also was under the impression this was slated for an xmas release.

Edited by Gentlemanloser, 18 November 2017 - 06:14 PM.

QUOTE (Seahawk @ Jul 30 2011, 05:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We all feel different ways about different rules, but if you're traveling between different gaming groups or to tournaments, the only commonality is the rules as they are written. If you can get your opponent to agree with you on house-ruling something then that changes things, but until then all we can do is go by how things are written.

TURBULENCE

TURBULENCE

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 274 posts

Oh, I'm not. But it would be nice. Even if it's not going to happen, what we do get will at least give me a baseline for my own ideas.

Edited by TURBULENCE, 18 November 2017 - 06:18 PM.

Raven1

Raven1

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,025 posts

First thing I thought of were TS weapons...but I doubt the Legions will be that lucky.
gallery_33260_13323_10404.pnggallery_33260_13323_11012.png

Trevak Dal

Trevak Dal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,212 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Legion (Night Blades)
Landraider with baleflamer sponsons.

Four sets of hurricane Bolters? Or Hades autocannons?

Or maybe a weaponless landraider for maximum capacity for delivering 20 Berserkers?
  • Raven1 likes this

"Our Turn" - Centurion Khârn.

Sonoftherubric21

Sonoftherubric21

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,095 posts

While this is really neat; and the whole "custom land raider" thing will be fun to fiddle with I would also imagine that the "meat" of the book will be points re-balancing and the unit costs for faction without codexs. 

We shall see! 

Plaguecaster

Plaguecaster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,682 posts
  • Chapter Name: Death Guard

But your Primaris can't use them! Cheers!

Have you not heard the word "Open Play" you can do pratically whatever conversion you want giving it rules to suit so you could very easily create a land raider capable of transporting Primaris marines

Why??? GW stated it was for both Loyalists and Chaos so I see no reason they wouldn't let you have access to the DG weapons since SW can access their unique weapons

I so want a land raider Obliterator with multiple Fleshnetal guns or even a DG raider with double heavy blight launchers and dual Entrophy cannons, Oh the possibilities :D

Edited by Plaguecaster, 18 November 2017 - 07:54 PM.

Nurgle Abominarions: A Host of Decay Revived for 8th​.
UPDATED 29/07/17

Raven1

Raven1

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,025 posts

Why??? GW stated it was for both Loyalists and Chaos so I see no reason they wouldn't let you have access to the DG weapons since SW can access their unique weapons

Even though the new GW is grand and at I think is plenty of examples to draw the conclusions that SW players will be able to build frosty land raiders whereas chaos will be left with vanilla options.

However maybe now Mars will be able to build transports for thier own troops.
gallery_33260_13323_10404.pnggallery_33260_13323_11012.png

Withershadow

Withershadow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,110 posts
So for open play only it seems. That’s probably a good thing

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1), Tamiel