Get Ready For Chapter Approved

Link

Are you ready for Chapter Approved?

Chapter Approved is your essential gaming supplement, packed with new missions, rules and even hobby tips designed to make your games of Warhammer 40,000 as awesome as they can possibly be. You’ll find the creative, experimental spirit of classic Warhammer publications like Rogue Trader and the previous incarnation of Chapter Approved combined with the polish and streamlining you’ve come to expect from the latest edition of Warhammer 40,000. We’ll be previewing just some of what you can expect to find in your copy throughout this week, starting with a look at the return of a much-loved feature from Rogue Trader – vehicle design rules!

Converting is a great part of the Warhammer 40,000 hobby. While our miniatures cover a vast swathe of the 41st Millennium, there’s huge scope for more, and converting models – or even writing their own datasheets – allows hobbyists to recreate some of the lesser-known aspects of the background and express their creativity. This is celebrated in Chapter Approved, which features rules for designing your own Land Raiders.

The Land Raider is one of the most customisable Warhammer 40,000 kits, thanks to five “hard points” that fit a range of Space Marine vehicle weaponry. As such, we decided that the Land Raider would be the perfect candidate for our first set of vehicle design rules.

Designing a Land Raider is simple. Each Land Raider has a main armament that determines its total transport capacity; hurricane bolters, for instance, give you 16 transport slots, while lascannons give you 10. From there, you’re able to choose a range of secondary armaments, from even more sponson weapons, to secondary abilities such as frag assault launchers. From a Chaos Titan-killer bristling with lascannons, to a Space Wolves assault vehicle armed with both helfrost and inferno cannons, there’s a huge range of possibilities available.

What’s best about these rules is that they’re just guidelines, aimed at providing a strong base for you to build on with conversions of your own. The beauty of open play is the variety and experimentation it allows, and perhaps you could apply these rules to Predators or even Tyranid bio-beasts.

You’ll be able to pre-order Chapter Approved (and start designing your own Land Raiders) on Saturday the 25th – in the meantime, pick up a Land Raider here.
Edited by Interrogator-Chaplain Ezra

I'll be holding out hope that rhino based rules come soon that way I can run my Rikarious, but this is gonna be so bad for my wallet already, now I'm thinking about Bolter Raiders, Flamer Raiders, Grav and Melta, maybe a naked transport only Raider. The possibilities have got me excited.

There's some irony in them going on about conversions whilst doing all they can to restrict what new units can use and make just about everything monopose.

They do want to promote conversions but only for "Open and Narrative Play" the Codexes really NEED to be tight for tournaments.

I'd expect to see more of this stuff under the Chapter Approved Banner as "optional rules".

Rik

I am excited about VDR. I don't care much about Land Raiders, but the concept of VDR is super cool. I would like to make new stuff for the Guard like Fire Support Sentinels, Taurox-based tanks, militarized Land Crawlers. Will I someday have the rules to do this? I somehow doubt VDR will have that sort of flexibility in the future, but I can hope!

Interesting to see what other additional optional rules are included as if the build your own Land Raider is only for Loyalists or does not include Death Guard specific weapons I will likely give this a pass since the points changes will be on Battlescribe soon enough anyway.

Hopefully they factor in death guard weapons like they are with SW frost weapons. I really want to build a toxic raider.

Don't hold your breath. They're not loyalists.
Oh, I'm not. But it would be nice. Even if it's not going to happen, what we do get will at least give me a baseline for my own ideas. Edited by TURBULENCE

Hopefully they factor in death guard weapons like they are with SW frost weapons. I really want to build a toxic raider.

First thing I thought of were TS weapons...but I doubt the Legions will be that lucky.

But your Primaris can't use them! Cheers!

Have you not heard the word "Open Play" you can do pratically whatever conversion you want giving it rules to suit so you could very easily create a land raider capable of transporting Primaris marines

Why??? GW stated it was for both Loyalists and Chaos so I see no reason they wouldn't let you have access to the DG weapons since SW can access their unique weapons

I so want a land raider Obliterator with multiple Fleshnetal guns or even a DG raider with double heavy blight launchers and dual Entrophy cannons, Oh the possibilities :D

Edited by Plaguecaster

Why??? GW stated it was for both Loyalists and Chaos so I see no reason they wouldn't let you have access to the DG weapons since SW can access their unique weapons

Even though the new GW is grand and at I think is plenty of examples to draw the conclusions that SW players will be able to build frosty land raiders whereas chaos will be left with vanilla options.

However maybe now Mars will be able to build transports for thier own troops.