Get Ready For Chapter Approved

Cool as it would be to be able to do a Dark Angels raider with Plasma Cannons all over it, I suspect it'll only allow officially produced bits from directly compatible kits, so Predator sponsons, Razorback turret weapons, the Helfrost turret from the Stormwolf, Autocannon turret from the Defiler and the Hurricane Bolters from the Stormraven.

Don’t forget the Storm wolf/fang also has rhino sized sponsons, so there’s missiles, twin linked multi meltas and twin linked heavy bolters. While I hold hope that hull mounting weapons ala the Achilles and Ares and top hatch mounted missile launchers ala the Helios are included, I’m not holding my breath, how cool would that be.

Chaos Landraider with anything other than standard weapons.

* Drops Mic and PA system, kicks drumkit over as well and sets fire to all the guitars*

Then sticks them back on the land raider as it's now a sonic raider?

Can't wait to see the contents pages and praying that tau get some serious point chops to base suit costs or weapons in many cases.

If I can already do it, then why should I waste my time and money on a book that tells me I can do it?

The point of rule books is to give everyone a standardized set of rules and a reasonable expectation that the other person will be using them.

If the only point of this book is to say "if you and your friends agree on it, you can arm your land raider with whatever fits on it" then it serves no point. I could already do that.

If you are buying things for 40K and consider it a waste, then I would implore you to stop purchasing something you consider a waste of money. That's poor financial management and can damage your stability in many ways. It's very unfortunate for your fellow hobbiests to have to hear about someone doing that. Yes, I'm being very sincere here, if you have a problem controlling wasteful purchases, there are programs that can help, they might help ease some suffering.

As far as the standardized set of rules, that sounds very much like what the book does: GW has codified a method of "Choosing Your Own Land Raider Armament" so that you don't have to, and the only thing you and your fellow player need to agree on is playing Open Play for you to use them. The rules don't sound like they "allow whatever fits" to be put on a Raider, but we'll have to wait and see. If there is concern, don't purchase it right away. If you and your group feel they can do better, then by all means, I think you should, and perhaps post it in the Homegrown Rules section so that others can try them out too!

But seriously, if you see no point to the book, don't buy it.

Wow, your thinly veiled insult is still an insult, and I'd expect much better from a moderator. Of course calling something a waste of money is definitely the exact same as having a psychological problem (compulsive buying disorder).

If I can already do it, then why should I waste my time and money on a book that tells me I can do it?

The point of rule books is to give everyone a standardized set of rules and a reasonable expectation that the other person will be using them.

If the only point of this book is to say "if you and your friends agree on it, you can arm your land raider with whatever fits on it" then it serves no point. I could already do that.

If you are buying things for 40K and consider it a waste, then I would implore you to stop purchasing something you consider a waste of money. That's poor financial management and can damage your stability in many ways. It's very unfortunate for your fellow hobbiests to have to hear about someone doing that. Yes, I'm being very sincere here, if you have a problem controlling wasteful purchases, there are programs that can help, they might help ease some suffering.

As far as the standardized set of rules, that sounds very much like what the book does: GW has codified a method of "Choosing Your Own Land Raider Armament" so that you don't have to, and the only thing you and your fellow player need to agree on is playing Open Play for you to use them. The rules don't sound like they "allow whatever fits" to be put on a Raider, but we'll have to wait and see. If there is concern, don't purchase it right away. If you and your group feel they can do better, then by all means, I think you should, and perhaps post it in the Homegrown Rules section so that others can try them out too!

But seriously, if you see no point to the book, don't buy it.

Wow, your thinly veiled insult is still an insult, and I'd expect much better from a moderator. Of course calling something a waste of money is definitely the exact same as having a psychological problem (compulsive buying disorder).
You do know the create your own raider part is just a very little part of the book detailing open play there is still going to be heaps on matched play with points as in case you forgot GW is focusing on "3 ways to Play" so as much as some people adamantly believe otherwise but matched play isn't the only way to play 40K so makes sense GW would focus some of the book to Narative and Open As well as matched the book basically is the 40k equilvant of the AOS generals handbook.

Also the create a raider rules probably are more guidelines so people can use them as a basis for creating their own vehicles and will still have some sort of balance instead of just bolt on as much weapons you can think of

Edited by Plaguecaster

Not a Moderator, bub. ;) Take a closer look. While I was, I didn't give a fig for the whiny argument of the type you are trying to make anyway, and I made no bones about it then either.

And it wasn't an insult, you were the one that kept asking why you'd need to waste your money. The obvious answer is that you wouldn't, and yet you kept bringing it up, which might imply that you felt it was required. Folks can only go by what you type...

If the shoe doesn't fit, then don't wear it. Only you can really know what is inside.

As others have noted though, there is obviously more in the book than just the Land Raider Armament Rules. So if your only assessment on your need to buy the book is for the LRMA, then you aren't evaluating it for the full contents and your analysis is narrow, flawed :cuss-hattery. Hardly makes the book toilet paper.

Also, if the book's cost is really the rub to folks, if you have a group you play with, then come up with a creative cost-sharing set up for it. It's not like everyone needs to have the book at all times if the only thing you need are the updated points costs, and truthfully no one really requires those. Everyone can continue playing the game with what is printed in the Codexes, or even the Indexes - if someone you are playing (or you) doesn't have the latest Chapter Approved, simply play using the original costs for everything in the Codex/Index - or share the book and revise your lists using the Chapter Approved values.

Now, if all you play isn't tournaments and you don't interact with a group of players, then you may have to bear the full cost of the book, however, you might be able to offset the price with your tournament winnings or if that doesn't happen, simply accept that your chosen method of interacting with the game is costing you more.

How you personally decide to look at this situation does a lot to determine your acceptance.

May I propose that upon the release of Chapter Approved that we all submit a modified Land Raider so that fellow Frater can utilise them?

While I imagine that there will be some common ideas like the three versions shown in Warhammer Community, I am sure many of the Techmarines here could come up with some truly wonderful and exotic Land Raiders.

May I propose that upon the release of Chapter Approved that we all submit a modified Land Raider so that fellow Frater can utilise them?

While I imagine that there will be some common ideas like the three versions shown in Warhammer Community, I am sure many of the Techmarines here could come up with some truly wonderful and exotic Land Raiders.

I'd be so on board with a dedicated thread to that! I can only imagine the collective mind here would come up with some out there stuff :P

Indeed. Give me ALL the missiles and artillery. See how those Xenos like a face full of incendiary munitions and antiarmor missiles.

Really wouldn’t mind us being able to plop a Sicaran Arcus missile launcher on top of a LR and just strapping four banks of Hunter-Miller missiles on the sides, with a Thunderfire cannon in the front hardpoint. Artillery for the win!

(No disrespect meant to any Xenos players reading this).

I don't know, if the selection options are truly limited as described, then there aren't going to be that many unique combinations.

Let's say for the sponsons, there are seven options (which includes no weapon placed) and you choose two (one option for the forward sponsons, one for the rear sponsons), there's only 28 combinations there. Then for the front turret, you've got say five options (including no weapon) and you are choosing one, then you have 5 combinations. For the frag launcher part, you only have 2 choices. For the manned emplacement at the top, let's say you have five choices. That's a total of 1400 unique combinations, and of those, the big ones (sponsons + turret) only amount to 140 combinations. The rest, you are choosing between frags or not, and a Marine at the top using a storm bolter, multi-melta, twin-linked plasma/plasma talon, and let's throw in a grenade launcher or some such or nothing. Not really game-changing there.

I don't know, if the selection options are truly limited as described, then there aren't going to be that many unique combinations.

Let's say for the sponsons, there are seven options (which includes no weapon placed) and you choose two (one option for the forward sponsons, one for the rear sponsons), there's only 28 combinations there. Then for the front turret, you've got say five options (including no weapon) and you are choosing one, then you have 5 combinations. For the frag launcher part, you only have 2 choices. For the manned emplacement at the top, let's say you have five choices. That's a total of 1400 unique combinations, and of those, the big ones (sponsons + turret) only amount to 140 combinations. The rest, you are choosing between frags or not, and a Marine at the top using a storm bolter, multi-melta, twin-linked plasma/plasma talon, and let's throw in a grenade launcher or some such or nothing. Not really game-changing there.

Not to mention that we have to work with troop capacity as points to buy those weapons so many awesome over the top combinations aren't even possible probably.

Happy Apocalypse is returning. More incentive to invest in some giant tanks :-D

I fear it actually. The escalation of 40K (D weapons!!!) starts with Apocalypse.

But we already have titans with Macro Weaponry and S36 Super-Fists (Warlord Titan Specifically) in the indexes :whistling:

Edited by Slips

I fear it actually. The escalation of 40K (D weapons!!!) starts with Apocalypse.

We already got the new D weapons in 40k tho. It's called Macro weapons because FW just can't stand using standard weaponry.

They called me mad. Mad! But I'll show them! I'll show them ALL!

But we already have titans with Macro Weaponry and S36 Super-Fists (Warlord Titan Specifically) in the indexes :whistling:

Good thing that garbage doesn't fit into humanely sized games.

Shame that the Land Raider is currently out of stock (at both GW UK and all the online 3rd party UK retailers I could think of) and that they retired the Deathwatch Land Raider box which gave you the options for the Godhammer, Crusader and Redeemer in a single box.

Hope for they sake they manage to get some stock together in advance of releasing Chapter Approved. Would be a real dropped ball if they launch a "build your own Raider" ruleset with no kits to sell on the back of it.

To be fair, it's interesting to note that they have the system made so the main sponsons dictate the transport size. It seems generators are the heaviest while munition based are the lightest (why? Heck knows). So the question is: What are our options? I believe Hurricane Bolters made their debut on the Crusader way back and became standard issue across chapters in 4th edition and now we have 3 standard issue + 1 if you count the excelsior (not counting Forge World). As a thought: is this maybe a method of allow forge world LR without needing to make rules for them into standard games? I doubt we will see the Helios (though to be fair, not exactly the greatest use of the armour) but could be interesting to see if there are more odd choices for the hull weapon.

Nice however to see that this may allow some support of other kits.

Though I will wager the options, based off previous LRs: Quad-Heavy Bolters, Twin-Multi-Meltas, Twin-Heavy Flamers, Flamestorm Cannons, Twin-Lascannons (Godhammers) and Hurricane Bolters. I don't think we have ever seen Plasma based weaponry mounted on a Land Raider except for the Combi-plasma on the excelsior that can kill it (someone in GW missed that XD). Would be nice though but I wonder, might we see new sponson options like Quad-Autocannons, Executioner cannons or maybe even some real mega dakka (Punisher cannons or Heavy Onslaught Gatlings). Doubt we will see anything too outlandish but I can hope...Executioner Cannons...mmmm...sorry got lost in thought there