Road to LVO 2018

shanewatts

Please do. Looks like a fun dynamic army. Who knows, it might even change by LVO.

I was trying to convince the GK players of the merits of the Crusader, but they’ll have no one of it. I have lost my single Corsair/Stormraven many times, but I feel like the crusader on a ‘good’ table can do okay.

Can’t wait to see some progress pics!

• 2 weeks later...

With the changes from CA, my entire list is in question. Will post with updated army hopefully sooner than later.

Isn't that the truth?  Just a handful of points changes/errata and suddenly everything is not so clear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok here is the list (optimized for ITC faction scoring):

Deathwatch (Vanguard)
captain w/ jump pack, thunder hammer, storm shield
3 aggressors
5 aggressors
deredeo w/ autocannons, automantic pavise
whirlwind scorpius

Imperium (Batallion)
hector rex           
celestine w/ 1 x gemnai
6 seraphim w/ 2 x inferno pistol
5 scouts w/ shotgun, bolt pistol

Imperium (Vanguard)
greyfax
1 acolyte w/ bolter
1 acolyte w/ storm bolter
whirlwind scorpius
whirlwind scorpius

Interesting...why take the marines as deathwatch when there are better space marine chapter traits like the Ravenguard one so you can deploy your aggressors on top of the enemy? You also don't seem to have many ways to get re-rolls? :)

I am playing Deathwatch for competition for best of faction. The one trick i have at least is slingshot Aggressors with the relic, but yes RG would be better.

That list makes me cry, but your determination to keep it Deathwatch in name, despite it actually be detrimental in every way, is admirable.

I have to agree. I try not to be too down on the whole scene until we see the codex, but yea the list is less Deathwatch and more an exercise in ' how can I make this legally Deathwatch and still keep it functional?'

Interesting...why take the marines as deathwatch when there are better space marine chapter traits like the Ravenguard one so you can deploy your aggressors on top of the enemy? You also don't seem to have many ways to get re-rolls? :smile.:

I am playing Deathwatch for competition for best of faction. The one trick i have at least is slingshot Aggressors with the relic, but yes RG would be better.

Well my two cents is you've picked some potent units from other factions to help bolster the weaknesses. I can't blame you for diversifying the list. I agree in that your one, solitary advantage with DW is the slingshot maneuver. Ages ago I used to do this with shooty squads of DW depending on the scenario....sometimes pulling an IC with a squad of something else entirely... which is illegal now.

Personally I think I would try a cannonball list, and drop the Aggressors. I would do this trick with a large squad of Hellblasters.

The reason I would do this is the Watchmaster makes the overcharge an easy decision. I play a lot of Primaris and Hellblasters are always picked on first. Some armies can almost ignore aggressors....very little can ignore Hellblaster. Mine are always picked on. The one thing that I Hate doing is taking that tank... the Repulsor, it's too expensive, but it's the only way to protect the Hellblasters against certain lists.... BUT the slingshot Relic changes that.

I also have been experimenting with plasma Inceptors for the same reason.

Just food for thought.

Good luck whatever you roll with. I imagine the clock is ticking!

I'm sorry to say that lists like this really sap any fun out 40k for me. I completely understand that ITC is competitive and people play for a rank and want to be the best, but calling this list "deathwatch" when there isn't even a single deathwatch specific unit in the army feels like a bit of a stretch.

You said that Raven Guard chapter tactics would be better, but presumably you feel extra competition in the "Space Marines" bracket isn't worth the trade off?

This isn't supposed to come across as mean or to be a personal attack in any way, I think that perhaps the ITC should be stricter about what constitutes a faction specific list.

I wish you luck and hope you'll post up a report from the LVO :) 

I am playing as Deathwatch because I don't want my years worth of pre chapter approved scores as Deathwatch to be useless.

I have been running kill teams in transports all the way up till Chapter Approved, this list is trying to remain competitive at LVO.

It hurts me to use zero Deathwatch specific units, but I stuck to bringing something that is still an effort to be Deathwatch versus just taking 2 fire raptors and a xiphon or something along those lines.

Edited by shanewatts

three scorpius whirlwinds, i like it.

how do you plan on protecting them?

The idea is the scouts push out any attempts from reserve to get to the whirlwinds, while 1 or both squads of Aggressors play defense nearby. There isn't a lot of traditional bubble wrap, but the scout screens are much better in that capacity just on board control.

Didn't realise you were trying to maintain previous years scores :smile.:

Good luck!

Thanks, yeah I have been playing Deathwatch all season (started back after LVO this past year). So I need to compete at LVO with it to finish out the 2017 ITC season.

Personally I think I would try a cannonball list, and drop the Aggressors. I would do this trick with a large squad of Hellblasters.

I have to bring elites to offset the relic whirlwinds, plus Hellblasters and Aggressors do different jobs. Really my swiss army knife in this army is the whirlwinds, they can effectively put wounds on any target type regardless of LoS, the Aggressors eliminate enemy hordes and create a CC challenge that the Hellblasters just don't do. (Really the whirlwinds are doing the same job as the hellblasters, but don't need LoS and has more range.)

That list makes me cry, but your determination to keep it Deathwatch in name, despite it actually be detrimental in every way, is admirable.

Thanks for the support Moostick.

Edited by shanewatts

You carry with you the hopes of tens, no, dozens of DW generals with you.

I'm happy to see someone giving Whirlwind Scorpius a chance as well. I've added one to my list as well, but I'm waiting on painting it until our codex drops. Getting destroyed by Hive Guards so many times really made artillery appealing.

Playing in a GT this weekend, 2-1 at the end of day 1. 2 games to go.

Finished day 2 as 3-2. My 2 losses to the first and third place players haha.

Think I am gonna cull the pavise, did zero all 5 games.

Edited by shanewatts