Carcharodons: outer dark - book cover

helterskelter

• 5 weeks later...

Just finished this, really enjoyed it. I really prefer reading about lesser exposed part of the Imperium / 40k universe, outside of the 1st/2nd founding chapters and this ticks the box. I really liked seeing the renegade chapter and how they operate, plus the cross chapter brotherhood of librarians. Really makes sense that they'd have more in common with each other than with the rest of the standard marines.

The second book was able to keep the standards of the first one and even exceed them. IMHO, this is due to the fact that human characters finally turned from scenery for Astartes into full-fledged participants in the events. Like my previous brethren, I'm just delighted with the inclusion of the Ashen Claws [the representation of these renegades was simply excellent] and new hints on the origin of the Carcharodons Chapter. Also the initial scene with Gray Tithe was just an epic, my favorite at the moment. All in all, great job, RobMac

Well, you got

- 4 different Legions plus their Primarch interactions

- the possibility to write about Terran and Deliverance Raven Guard and their relation to one another and further between Corax and the Terrans

- the Raven Guard being forced to enact a frontal assault instead of their familiar way of warfare

- nearly a brawl between Perturabo and Corax, etc. way before Istvan, when everything was still alright; Bonus: Russ as an arbiter and Corax vowing to never fight under Horus again (which is kind of a thing back then)

- an interesting antagonist faction

- the aftermath regarding the exile of the Terran Raven Guard and the foundation of the Nomad Predation Fleets; that kind of stuff (banishment of own Legionaries) only happened in the XIXth Legion; How do the banished ones behave after it? We saw the Ashen Claws going rampage / renegade, while the Carcharodons stayed loyal. Were there more of them? Potential as a background for more of such chapters / forces?

Rob showed us that he's capable of dealing the Carcharodons and now, the Ashen Claws. Further, he recently did an audio about Perturabo, which seems to be decent, as well.

Not saying that only this particular battle should be covered. But somewhat of an episodic journey of the Terran XIXth Legion leading up to Gate-42 could be interesting.

IMHO, it's more interesting and has more potential as a story than some arc conclusions we recently got.

I'm biased, of course, as I'm highly intrigued about that event and especially its outcome. To be honest, I'd considered writing about a Terran conclave of the XIX right before Gate-42 as a contribution to Black Library's contest. So yeah, it's wish listing. :wink:

i'm not sure about an entire novel, but longish flashbacks to this in a 40k novel would be very cool

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished Carcharodon: Outer Dark and really enjoyed it:thumbsup: I've been fascinated by the Carcharodon Astra since they were fleshed out in the FW Badab War volumes. I was intrigued by their mystique, stark pragmatism, and brutality.

Since first hearing about RobMac's works and enjoying his first short story I was still a bit reluctant to read further for fear that the mystique might be spoiled. I must say, RobMac has allayed my fears. It's a difficult line to walk, adding to the story and maintaining the atmosphere around this chapter that makes it so interesting to me. He's done an excellent job. I look forward to more. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Carcharodons: Outer Dark is now out in TPB format and displayed prominently at my local B&N. For those of you on a budget (like me) and haven't read it yet (not like me) I strongly recommend it. It's a must for RobMac fans and Carcharodon Astra fans all. These wonderfully brutal Space Marines are in good hands with Robbie MacNiven:yes:

Amen!

Can't wait for the third one.

Rob? How's writing going? Haven't logged into Facebook for months. Still working on the Fantasy novel? Or do you already have a new project? ;)

Speaking of that novel, saw that the German release date is Feb 2019, with the following synosis ( translated..):

Archaon, the Eternally Chosen One, is the most powerful and dreaded warrior of the Dark Gods. Even warlords of unbelievable cruelty, who have already led innumerable campaigns full of suffering and massacres, want to fight at his side. These Knights of Corruption are known as the Varangarde.

Although the blood of conquered lands drips from the Blade of Atavar the Black Pilgrim, he must first prove worthy to ascend into the Fifth Circle of the Varangarde. Now he has his final task: to hunt down and kill a legendary hero of the forces of order, because according to a prophecy he is supposed to liberate the mortal realms from the stranglehold of chaos. But when a betrayal occurs in the heart of the Varant Tower, Archaon's huge fortress, Atavar realizes that the chosen one of Sigmar is not the only threat to Archaon's reign that he must eliminate. For Atavar, there will only be victory or total annihilation. He is a warrior of the Varangarde and no enemy of the Three Eyed King will escape his sword.

Sounds good.

For Tyberos, it's more likely that

his massive stature, if the Carcharadons even are descended from the Raven Guard, or at least if he personally is, that it's due to a unique quirk of the messed-up geneseed actually producing a positive effect for once, rather than the organs not working correctly.

is there a section dedicated to info on the Carcharodons?

i started reading about some of the lore and am highly fascinated by it.

--

so their tech is, as though pulled from different eras of the imperium, starting at the tail end of the heresy/during it.

they have strange patterns of equipment, not recognized, parted.

their dialects also act similar to their equipment, varied some ancient some strange, as though from differnt eras

----------

so am I wrong in making the assumption that

There is a legitimate chance that the space sharks are of raven guard decent.

Tyberos could then be very well be a "monster" marine corax made**

** if Tyberos is actually a code name, a mantle, and if THe mutant marines have been hopskipping through time, in stasis, when one dies another is released and takes the mantel.

additionally, the dialects and equipment makes sense.

if they are a true nomad fleet that specializes in routing out heretics that fled the galaxy and things from the outer dark ( extra galactic).

THey pop up every couple hundreds of years/ milenia. they grab tons of new potential recruits and toss a bunch in stasis. Hit up armors and get equipment from the time they are there. then proceed to make their ways back to their mission purpose. operating outside the galactic rim.

Their tech marines would be highly capable even from the perspective of other astartes, operating for such long peroids away from the imperium, their tech marines invent and cobble together new tech/maintain it.

is there a section dedicated to info on the Carcharodons?

i started reading about some of the lore and am highly fascinated by it.

--

so their tech is, as though pulled from different eras of the imperium, starting at the tail end of the heresy/during it.

they have strange patterns of equipment, not recognized, parted.

their dialects also act similar to their equipment, varied some ancient some strange, as though from differnt eras

----------

so am I wrong in making the assumption that

There is a legitimate chance that the space sharks are of raven guard decent.

Tyberos could then be very well be a "monster" marine corax made**

** if Tyberos is actually a code name, a mantle, and if THe mutant marines have been hopskipping through time, in stasis, when one dies another is released and takes the mantel.

additionally, the dialects and equipment makes sense.

if they are a true nomad fleet that specializes in routing out heretics that fled the galaxy and things from the outer dark ( extra galactic).

THey pop up every couple hundreds of years/ milenia. they grab tons of new potential recruits and toss a bunch in stasis. Hit up armors and get equipment from the time they are there. then proceed to make their ways back to their mission purpose. operating outside the galactic rim.

Their tech marines would be highly capable even from the perspective of other astartes, operating for such long peroids away from the imperium, their tech marines invent and cobble together new tech/maintain it.

There is a good overview in the Lexicanum http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Carcharodons

You'll also find some fine information and illustrations in the FW Badab War volumes.... lore, stats, and some great pix. Of course they are monumentally expensive but as the Mechanicum says, "knowledge is power"...… and as the Ultramarines say, "knowledge is victory." All in all, "knowledge is expensive.":teehee:

You might check out RobMac's previous novel, Caracharodons: Red Tithe and short stories, Death Warrant and The Reaping Time. All are fine reads and add something to the Carcharodon Astra legend:thumbsup:

I think it was shown in this book, or at least hinted, that they mix geneseed or use multiple sources of it. So while them being terrans from the original Legion was the most prominent and likely theory before this book, now it's just among the rest.

Interesting..... I don't recall this at all. Could you give a specific reference..... not doubting you, just interested.

It's when they're meeting with the Ashen Claws Chapter Master, and he's talking about the how the geneseed needs to pure, not how it is in the main character; he answers that its pure. He also notes the main character has the legacy of the previous captain, and is apt to descend into fury like him. 

So these things hint that they use different geneseed, whether in whole or combined; the carcharodons have pure loyalist geneseed (presumably raven guard in origin), but also have...other versions 

I think he was speaking to the idea of the geneseed being mutated or defective in some way and not a blending of different geneseeds. The fury he refers to you could arguably interpret (or more to the point "I" could arguably interpret:wink:) as a undesirable genetic trait inherited from the previous captain's geneseed.

This is definitely an arguable issue.... and your interpretation is definitely a legitimate and interesting one whch lends itself to some fascinating speculations:yes:

Amen!

Can't wait for the third one.

Rob? How's writing going? Haven't logged into Facebook for months. Still working on the Fantasy novel? Or do you already have a new project? :wink:

Said fantasy novel has been completed and submitted (glory to the Varanguard!), and I'm looking forward to Blood of Iax launching on Saturday. Other projects remain top secret. Glad to see the Carcharodons Origin Debate is still going strong though! :wink:

Archived