The Knights Penitent

The Knights Penitent are not in any true sense a Space Marine chapter but are a band of warriors fighting for absolution; seeking redemption in the face of an Empire that calls them traitors and heretics.

They began life as the remnants of the Omega Falcons chapter, excommunicated for heresy some few hundred years ago - having believed to have fallen under the sway of the craftworld Ulthwé. Under orders to battle against a growing Ork warband, they instead abandoned their crusade to fight alongside the Aeldari who were pursuing a mysterious artefact of the Necrontyr. 

Despite claiming they acted for the good of the Imperium, that this artefact would protect mankind against an unknown and growing Chaos threat, this association with the xenos was enough to seal their fate. The Inquisition ordered they be exterminated before they could spread their perceived corruption any further. Little did they know that this alien technology would have bolstered the defenders of Cadia in the last days of the 13th Black Crusade, perhaps avoiding the horrors of its fall and the emergence of the Great Rift. 

Now excommunicated, and despite heavy loses to an Imperial fleet, a small remnant of the chapter escaped with their few remaining warships. Since that fateful day they have been hard to locate, but rumours suggest they operate in the Imperium Nihilus close to the Necron Mephrit Dynasty - perhaps still pursuing this ancient technology to fight the forces of chaos.

To this day they claim the righteousness of their cause and to remain loyal to the Imperium. Whether they fell to corruption as they fought alongside the Aeldari is unknown. What they know however is they fight to redeem themselves, at least in their eyes, likely seeking this strange artefact. Failing this they seek a righteous death for the Emperor that will absolve them of any guilt attributed to them by their excommunication.

They are known to actively seek out and embrace marines excommunicated from other chapters, adding to their numbers. This has slowly seen them evolve from the identity of a single chapter to reflect elements of dozens of chapters found across the galaxy. In a sign of their penitence, they have stripped their markings and colours down to the cold metal of their power armour; only the chapter insignia on their shoulder pads give any sign of their past allegiance.

----

Let me know what you think of this fluff. Two pragmatic considerations came into play here. Firstly I wanted a lore friendly reasons for the potential Marine v various Imperium forces I might encounter on the table top. Secondly, I'll likely end up with an eclectic mix of Ebay sourced minis etc as I'll look to save some £££.

From here it evolved to incorporate my Omega Falcons chapter created in the last days of when I previously collected some 10+ years back and then to link into the evolved lore of 8th ed.

C&C welcome.

Edited by The Knight Penitent

Sounds like you are off to a great start. Fluff-wise there is a lot to consider. Have you read any of the Soul Drinker novels. They are a good read and would be a good reference for getting some ideas as to some of the problems your chapter will face as a chapter under Inquisitorial Excommunicatus.

As far as lore friendly reasons for facing off with other Imperial forces on the tabletop there are two things to keep in mind.

1. The Imperium is totally unforgiving.

2. The Galaxy is very large and no matter who you are, you will not be missed.

And since you are an excommunicated chapter, REJOICE BROTHER!!....everyone potentially wants you dead.

Your primary adversaries in the Imperium will be the Inquisition, the Grey Knights, and of course your founding chapter. They will hunt you relentlessly. Life won't be dull for the Penitent Knights:yes:.

Something else fluff-wise to consider is how your chapter takes care of repair and resupply. Will you rely on raiding, secret pacts with shady rogue traders, pacts with some shadowy forge worlds, or perhaps a little of all of the above.

I would also suggest that the chapter needs a very robust Reclusium. The chaplaincy is critical in maintaining purity of purpose and purity of your chapter Astartes. One of your named characters should be a charismatic Reclusiarch.

Ultimately, its all up to you. Looks like fun!:thumbsup:

Good Luck Brother

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

Yes, I agree with Lunkhead here. 

Without a strong Reclusium, your chapter is on the very edge of becoming a Chaos warband.

Actually, one of the ideas I was toying with was a newly-turned Chaos warband which still is made of the chunks of an almost-annihilated chapter, and so they would have a very un-Chaos look yet. The Genestealer cults gave me the idea. I envisioned a banner with the remains of their Chaplain or the defaced Chapter banner. These marines still don't know that they're veering ever closer to Chaos. I like the moral gray areas, there's a lot of contrast with the black-and-white view we've always had of Chaos as an absolute evil and the Emperor as the source of absolute good. 

With Chaos being an exageration (and later perversion) of the most common goals or strongest emotions in Mankind, this is very plausible (and logical; I expected more novels to treat this issue).

Your chapter, though, is the other side of this; these Marines have not fallen... yet. ;)

Just like Khorne is a satire of the honorable, noble warrior; Tzeentch is the perversion of the wise master, Nurgle is the caring doctor brought to the absurdist extreme of keeping a dying patient alive even if he's in extreme pain, and keeping his lovely bacteria alive as well, and Slaanesh is the perfectionist and the narcissist subverted... your chapter could be facing the temptations of the Runious Power without even knowing so. 

So yes, have a couple of cool chaplains with big armors and balls of steel.

Edited by Cèsar de Quart

Can I recommend against the relic idea? The most powerful forces in the setting were employed to keep the Eye of Terror contained, and forces just as powerful were employed to destroy said barriers. It’s a pretty huge trump card to say there was this other artifact floating around that no one else tried to secure for either side.

Instead, what about the Aeldari trying to steer your Chapter toward helping them prevent one of the events their seers have foreseen will unlock the Crimson Path for Abaddon? Remember, Abaddon and his Black Legion embarked in other efforts besides the previous Black Crusades. Pandorax describes one of those: his attempt to unlock a gateway to the Warp and unleash an army of daemons as part of a larger plan to capture the ancient Grey Knight Epimetheus. In a way, this would be the reverse of what Decimus proposes at the end of the novel Void Stalker: that the Night Lords unite against Craftworld Ulthwé to ensure they can’t stop Abaddon from breaking through the Cadian Gate.

Can I recommend against the relic idea? The most powerful forces in the setting were employed to keep the Eye of Terror contained, and forces just as powerful were employed to destroy said barriers. It’s a pretty huge trump card to say there was this other artifact floating around that no one else tried to secure for either side.

Instead, what about the Aeldari trying to steer your Chapter toward helping them prevent one of the events their seers have foreseen will unlock the Crimson Path for Abaddon? Remember, Abaddon and his Black Legion embarked in other efforts besides the previous Black Crusades. Pandorax describes one of those: his attempt to unlock a gateway to the Warp and unleash an army of daemons as part of a larger plan to capture the ancient Grey Knight Epimetheus. In a way, this would be the reverse of what Decimus proposes at the end of the novel Void Stalker: that the Night Lords unite against Craftworld Ulthwé to ensure they can’t stop Abaddon from breaking through the Cadian Gate.

Definitely worth considering:happy.: